November meeting

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ldubia

I would like to know who is planning on coming to the meeting at my house. I need to plan for food and stuff.

My house is in Boulder Creek near Highway 9 and Bear Creek Road.
http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&q...code_result&ct=image&resnum=1&ved=0CCUQ8gEwAA

I have three sponsors for the meeting and a couple of presentations to make. I am trying to make this a good meeting for everyone.

I need to know what we are planning to talk about, any demos needed or wanted, etc. Let's make this a great meeting, have fun, and learn something too.

Last edited:

ldubia

I will be there!

YAY Greg!

If we end up having a small group, there are going to be lots of door prizes for us. I am expecting two more packages. :):):cool::cool:

I hope other people will come to the meeting too. (hint hint) :wink::wink:

Let's hear from some other members!

darcisowers

One (or maybe both) of us will be there - Andy has been working on some Herringbone blanks to sell... (let us know if you are interested, and your preference for either Sierra or Sedona style)

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
I think we should see a demo of a MiniMonster Hollowing system.
Maybe we can do a demo of a hollow ornament (which is the same process as for small hollow forms/urns/etc).

What else do people want to see?

ldubia

erringbone kits

The meeting is on November 14th at my house in Boulder Creek. PM me for address and you can get Google map to show where it is. I am near Los Gatos in the mountains. The house is near Highway 9 and Bear Creek Road in Boulder Creek. I plan on setting up around 10 AM and have the meeting begin around 11 AM with a special presentation by me.. Lunch about 12:30-1 PM. Demos after a second presentation by me. Then Demos, questions, gloats, and prizes.

I think we should see a demo of a Mini-Monster Hollowing system.
Maybe we can do a demo of a hollow ornament (which is the same process as for small hollow forms/urns/etc).

What else do people want to see?

I can demo the hollowing rig and let peolple try it if they like. Caution is needed here. This thing is unbelievably addictive. :eek::biggrin:

One (or maybe both) of us will be there - Andy has been working on some Herringbone blanks to sell... (let us know if you are interested, and your preference for either Sierra or Sedona style)

I would most definitely be interested in them for Sierra and sedona. Also is he preparing the blanks for the original herringbone or the other "rounded" style you showed off. I would be interested in those as well. Let me know how much. I also have manzanita to trade or sell if anyone is interested.

On another note.
All three of my sponsors have sent goodies. Now I need to know who plans on bringing what for the menu to take shape.
As mentioned in the last thread, the menu is potluck.
food will be a pot luck affair. Please let me know what you would like to bring.

My wife is going to man (woman???) our charcoal BBQ for chicken and polish sausage.

meat...if you want something other than chicken or polish sausage.
drinks...
salad...
vegetables...
side dishes...
desert...
snacks...
chips and dips...

I will need chairs for people to sit on, a couple of tables to put stuff on, an easy up to put over the picnic table to cover the food area.

Please indicate what category you are bringing so we can fill up the menu and have a fabulous meal.

Last edited:

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
meat...if you want something other than chicken or polish sausage.
drinks...
salad...
vegetables...
side dishes...
desert...
I can bring a couple bags of sand :party:

snacks...
chips and dips...
I'll bring chips and dips and probably salsa

I will need chairs for people to sit on, a couple of tables to put stuff on, an easy up to put over the picnic table to cover the food area.
I'll also bring two tables, an easy up, and 6 folding chairs.

Please indicate what category you are bringing so we can fill up the menu and have a fabulous meal.

ldubia

I could bring my lathe is another is needed. I just picked up a Jet 1014 VS off of Craigslist for $250. It is brand new. I can bring chairs and I will bring dessert or snacks. Let me know which one.
This should be fun.
From the other thread.

Greg has the dips, chips, and salsa. He is bringing six chairs, and tables and an easy up.
Cindy has snacks other than chips and dips. She is also bringing some chairs.

darcisowers

we have an easy up too, and 3 foldable chairs. we have a table, but it's not easily transportable (not the plastic/folding in half type) so if you REALLY think it's needed, we can bring it in the "big SUV".

put us down for pasta salad. :biggrin:

ldubia

we have an easy up too, and 3 foldable chairs. we have a table, but it's not easily transportable (not the plastic/folding in half type) so if you REALLY think it's needed, we can bring it in the "big SUV".

put us down for pasta salad. :biggrin:

Pasta salad sounds good to me. Greg is bringing his two tables and I have two folding card tables plus a picnic table for the food. I think we are good for tables. The chairs are probably needed though.
You will most likely want to bring something to put manzanita in though. They might still be wet. I hosed them off to get rid of the junk on them. Not all the junk. I saved some for the person who will be playing with them. :eek::biggrin:

I would like to see a demo of the other herringbone Andy designed. Just a quick one. :wink::biggrin::biggrin:

ldubia

Hi everyone.

we only have a handful of people responding. I need to know ow many people are coming to plan for logistics. Please don't wait till the last minute if you can at all prevent it.

So far we have

Greg bringing chips and dips.
Darci (and Andy) bringing pasta salad
Ken bringing spinach salad and rice pilaf
Cindy bringing snacks
And possibly Dave Ratto.

I know we have many others who come. Please let me know as soon as possible if you plan to come.

Thanks everyone.

Dave_M

OK guys,
Add me to the list of 99.9% certain I'll be there. I have another knee replacement in my future and I see the doc on Tuesday to discuss a date. I already replaced the right knee a few years ago and now the left is blowing up like a basketball every time I put any weight on it. I seriously doubt it's going to happen before our meeting, but you never know. Besides I still have some Christmas orders to fill before she cuts me. The quicker I can get the knee done, the quicker I can be done with it and move on.

Put me down for some drinks and drinking paraphernalia. If someone could supply the ice (probably won't do so well on my three hour ride up) that would be nice... Or maybe I can find a store near Larry's place. Depending on the weather, maybe I'll figure out how to bring some hot beverages as well. Larry I'll email you later to get your street address. Oh, I'll also bring a couple folding chairs.

We also have a pre-turner in the area that I'll try to drag along. I say pre-turner because he hasn't officially turned anything yet. He's done wood working in his past but I don't think he's ever turned wood before. David and I know each other through church and we've become friends over the last few years. David has seen some of my work and decided to give this wood whittling thing a try and resurrect his wood working skills. So far he's picked up a lathe and some of the pen turning essentials. No better way to experience a little bit of everything we do in one afternoon.

Looking forward to another great meeting with y'all.
Dave

ldubia

Thanks Dave.
That fills all the lunch requirements I have set. Anything else is just gravy (no pun intended). I will PM you the address so you can Google map it. We are not too far from Los Gatos.

We are all looking forward to another fabulous meeting.

See ya soon.

Kicker

Hi,

I am the other Dave from Fresno/Clovis area. Yes I will be there, cant wait to actually get into this!!

Kicker

ldubia

Hi,

I am the other Dave from Fresno/Clovis area. Yes I will be there, cant wait to actually get into this!!

Kicker

Welcome, Dave, to the group. I look forward to meeting you and sending you home with goodies. his is going to be a great meeting. Bring lots of money. There are some neat woods to buy as well as blanks.

Also can you bring some sort of side dish for lunch. This is a pot luck lunch with a sort of menu.

Is there anything you want to see, hear about, etc?

Kicker

Hi Larry,

Not a problem, I will bring something to add for lunch. I am not sure about monies though, things are pretty tight around our home right now. However I am looking forward to learning anything I can so that I can start turning.

Thanks,

Kicker

ldubia

Hi Larry,

Not a problem, I will bring something to add for lunch. I am not sure about monies though, things are pretty tight around our home right now. However I am looking forward to learning anything I can so that I can start turning.

Thanks,

Kicker

You will go home with something to play with. That is a guarantee!

tbroye

Larry

Sadly I will not be able to come. Niece is getting married up at Tahoe that weekend, so it will be party time. Hope to make the next one early in 2011. Where the H did the year go? I am even thinking of hosting in the late spring/early summer. Need to finsh repairng the back yard after 3 very active young dogs remodeled it. Have a great time you all.

avbill

Larry, I got my schedule and the 14th is clear, So count me in for the 14th. Please pm me your address. What would you like me to bring for food/drinks? I will bring my "woodchuck" so fellow turners can see it.

adamasonyx

Do I need to be a member of your club to be able to attend your meetings? I'm a noob to pen turning and this forum.

Mike

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
Hi Mike,

Nope, no memberships required. But if you want to pay me some "dues" I won't refuse your funds.:biggrin:

Welcome to IAP and pen turning!
Greg Ketell
IAP Northern/Central California chapter "leader"

ldubia

"dues"

Hi Mike,

Nope, no memberships required. But if you want to pay me some "dues" I won't refuse your funds.:biggrin:

Don't give him any money, he'll just go out and buy wood. He's addicted just like the rest of us.:eek::biggrin::biggrin:

However, if you have any "extra" funds laying around, you can "share" with the rest of us. :wink:

Hope you can make it.

PM me if you need the address. It is at my house in Boulder Creek.

adamasonyx

Dues? no probs with me for as long as I'm bringing home some woods, tools, kits :)
I may not be able to make it this coming meeting but will be hoping to attend the next one.

ldubia

Dues? no probs with me for as long as I'm bringing home some woods, tools, kits :)
I may not be able to make it this coming meeting but will be hoping to attend the next one.

You're going to miss a really good one if you don't make it. I got some really neat door prizes.

But if ya can't get here, ya can't get here. in that case, we'll miss ya.

adamasonyx

I know it's going to be fun, even the ride cuz there's a carpool...
A video maybe if it's not too much to ask :D

ldubia

The count

What's the count at this point, Larry?

I have approximately 16 people coming counting guests. This of course depends on schedules ,last minute changes, etc. We could have more before the actual meeting.

I plan on setting up around 10AM. Parking is a premium around here but it can be worked out. Just to let everyone know, you can park ACROSS my driveways but not in them a there will be tables and such in them. I will park away from the house to make it easier for everyone.

I will also post an IAP sign on the road to lead you to the house.

I am looking forward to having everyone up here.

As usual I will have a bag of stuff for everyone to take home. There are several things in them so enjoy.

ldubia

Is anyone interested in having breakfast with my wife and I to celebrate the display of my artwork in Felton? It would be an early breakfast (probably around 7:30 or 8AM) so we can get back in time for the meeting. I would love to have my fellow IAP'ers join me.

Last edited:

avbill

Larry, With 16 people -- you 'll need reinforcements with food ? I can bring my potato salad that Greg's likes ( with recipe in hand) Anything else you might need.

ldubia

Larry, With 16 people -- you 'll need reinforcements with food ? I can bring my potato salad that Greg's likes ( with recipe in hand) Anything else you might need.

That sounds like a good idea. I like potato salad as well. That will go well with the rest of the food.

Still looking for interested parties for the breakfast celebration.

I need to call ahead for reservations for a larger group. The food here is fabulous. This is MY treat. This is what I am doing instead of a showing. I am treating people to breakfast and showing the stuff at the same time.

Hey Mike,
If you change your mind and need a ride, let me know. Always room for one more for the ride to the meeting. Great people and lots of info.

Top Bottom