Newbie to kitless pen in north CA

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

EveRyE1vA

Not sure if I can ask this in the forum, but I am still new to kitless pen and I was wondering if there is anyone willing to provide kitless pen personal training or do you know any class I could take around San Francisco Bay Area?

Thanks in advance.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

This is not the answer you want .....

..... think about it, draw some sketches, make some measurements, then dive in and do it.

It is not that hard. . You can do a little bit at a time and come here with lots of specific questions.

A good start might be to make some closed end kits from PSI. . This would give experience drilling blind holes, etc.

Your first true kitless could be based on the El Grande fountain pen, which has a nib section with a 10mm x 1mm thread. If you buy the kit you already have the nib and section so you would have to buy the 10mm x 1mm tap ( very cheap compared with more specialized taps - see the current Group Buy for Taps and Dies 2017). . You can get that tap in many tap/die sets, or even individually, from auto supply stores. . You can also buy individually online from Victornet.

Last edited:

duncsuss

If you go to the San Francisco International Pen Show (August 25 - 27 LINK) you can seek out members of the Pen Artisan Guild (several are members here and will be attending the show). They might be able to steer you in the right direction.

EveRyE1vA

@MartinPens, thank you for replying! I will pay attention to next local meetings here.

@magpens, thank you for encouraging and actionable suggestion. I just ordered mine in Group Buy for Taps and Dies 2017.

@duncsuss, yes! I am also a collector of pens so I already have plan to visit SF pen show. Thank you for the information!

Spinzwood

I don't know where in N.CA you are, but as an FYI, Mt Diablo Adult Education has a class called Advanced Pen Making. I don't know if kitless pens are covered. You might write and ask.

EveRyE1vA

Great to know, thank you so much!

I don't know where in N.CA you are, but as an FYI, Mt Diablo Adult Education has a class called Advanced Pen Making. I don't know if kitless pens are covered. You might write and ask.

Spinzwood

I'm finishing up the Woodturning 101 class there.. As a project one evening we turned a slimline. As mentioned above.. there is an Advanced Penmaking class in the current schedule.. but not in the coming schedule for Winter 2018. Sorry.

Here is a description of that class.. only 3 weeks long.. I'm sure there are opportunities other than what is in the description if you want to pursue something different in design.

Woodturning — Advanced Pens*
Learn how to toss away the center band and make your own from a variety of materials. Decorate your pens using Celtic Knot inlays and Splines for a unique custom look. Prerequisite: Pen turning experience required. (3 weeks)
20267001 6:00-9:00pm TH 10/12-10/26 Albert 108, PHEC $75

Top Bottom