My First Hollow Form Turning

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
Went out to the garage to play a little bit today. I decided I really needed to turn a Hollow Form so I grabbed some wood and went at it...

attachment.php

attachment.php

Honduran Rosewood sanded to 600, hit with 0000 steel wool and then "friction polished" with RenWax. No other finish.

GK
ps I hate when sanding marks you can't see with your eyes show up in the photos.

Attachments

• HFnum1-3.jpg
    HFnum1-3.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 925
  • HFnum1-2.jpg
    HFnum1-2.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 639
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Good job Greg. You got me. I was just about to ask how you like your laser hollower because I am in the market for one. I should have remembered the conversations at the last meeting about miniatures.

Looks nice. I think I see a demo for the next time.

Ken

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
That was about 1/5 of one pen blank. The background for the photo? It was a standard sized piece of micro mesh sandpaper. :biggrin:

robutacion

hahahahah, looks like everyone else had the same thoughts in regards to the blank size used, of such precious wood however, I've seen it done many times before by people that have plenty of of supply for a very good price...!

Also, I'm damn sure you knew that you would get everyone on those first 2 pics, I would have let everyone "suffer" a little longer before I would show the 3th pic, :biggrin::smile-big:

Nicely done, tough...!

Cheers
George

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
Thanks everyone for the kind comments. Yes, I honestly wasn't trying to fool folks with the kind of wood but I definitely was trying to fool with size perception. :biggrin:

In the past I've had people complement me on my "nice salad bowl" when I was showing a 4" diameter bowl. I thought this little guy was the perfect opportunity to exaggerate that!

If you have pen blank cut offs, I highly recommend trying a few of these. Dental picks, and even allan wrenches make great tools for them and you get more comments and accolades about the little guys than you do "average sized" turnings.

GK

Jim Burr

Banned
The sanding makes would go away if you turned something bigger than a grit of sand!!!!:biggrin: That is scary small Greg...can you say "tool control?"...I know you can!

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
The sanding makes would go away if you turned something bigger than a grit of sand!!!!:biggrin: That is scary small Greg...can you say "tool control?"...I know you can!

Sadly I only got to "tool contr". I had a snag that changed the shape away from what I wanted. :rolleyes: But then, I almost always do. I'm still learning turning and always will be.

Dave_M

Wow Greg,
That's really small! Nicely done. I have a drawer full of allen wrench spares. I've been hanging on to for years. Last year I started using them to make my own hollowing tools. Some more successful than others. I hadn't thought to try something that small. I like it.

As for the wood, I thought it was Bay Wood at first glance.

ldubia

I was truly amazed at the first two pics, then you posted the quarter next to it and blew my mind! WOW! Very nice Greg. Impressive.

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
The nice thing about these is everyone who owns a lathe has the tools necessary to make them. And pen turners especially already have a ton of blanks-bits laying around tt are just perfect for these.

Give them a try. You'll love it.
Gk

ldubia

So you're saying we should all learn how to say "tool contr." :biggrin:
I have tried a few small things without much success yet. Though not that small.

Top Bottom