My First Finished Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

reefboy1

Hi all,

Here's the first pen I finished on my own lathe. It's a cheapo Slimline Comfort kit and one of Larry's redwood blanks. I used a CA finish (based on Gregs instructions) but without the buffs since I haven't received those yet.

I'm pretty happy with the results :)

1_First_Pen2.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Well done Art. It is not a "cheapo Slimline", it is the first in a series of fine custom writing instruments that someone will value enough to part with some of their hard earned money for.
Congratulations

ldubia

Hi all,

Here's the first pen I finished on my own lathe. It's a cheapo Slimline Comfort kit and one of Larry's redwood blanks. I used a CA finish (based on Gregs instructions) but without the buffs since I haven't received those yet.

I'm pretty happy with the results :)

Congratulations on a fine job. For a first pen, you did really well. Especially with the redwood which can be difficult at times. You should never refer to your work as using a "cheapo" anything. Even the wife and kids like this stiuff and may want them. This pen should be given to the wife as the one off pen you made. I gave my wife the first and she keeps coming back to have me make others. she also buys them for her friends, gave two very high end ones for her lawyer, etc. If anyone ever hears you say "cheapo" or something like that, they will think your pens aren't worth having and that your work isn't worth their time to look at. And as you can see, it most definately IS!

Of course this is all MHO. (My humble opinion, or open onion as my friend said.)

Keep up the fabulous work. You are addicted now.

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
Here is a bigger version of the photo...
attachment.php

Very nice pen for your first CA finish! I like the shape of the lower barrel with the "finger grip" cut-out!

As others have pointed out, never admit to "cheapy" or "kit". It is a fine, hand-crafted writing instrument! Well, "fine" after you change out that kit pen refill. :tongue:

Congrats, Art. That was really well done!

Attachments

• Arts-First_Pen1.jpg
    Arts-First_Pen1.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 295

reefboy1

Thanks all and I promise to never minimize the pen's ever again :)

Greg -thanks for posting a better pic and for all the help. It really was a blast and I'll spending time today to make a few more.

Rosewood

Oh ya, don't minimize a Slim. I did a Craft Show last week, and made a little over $400.00 @ $20.00 ea. Watch out for the Great Whites up there in San Ramon.

Kicker

Nice Pen Art,

I have made about a half a dozen and as soon as I get them off of the lathe they are confiscated. My wife, daughter, son, son in law etc all have pens now.

Eventually maybe I can sell some, but until then I am having a ball! :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Blessings,

David

Dave_M

Nice work Art. I like the shape of the lower as well. My first was bushing to bushing so you're a step ahead of the curve with your first pen. Never hesitate to play with the basic design. Some of your best successes & messes will come from playing around. If you're having fun and learning along the way then it's all good.

reefboy1

My 17 yr old daughter asked to try the lathe today. Ended up making this honey-dipper. She really enjoyed it and wants to make a pen next.

1_Sara_honey_dippier.JPG

ldubia

My 17 yr old daughter asked to try the lathe today. Ended up making this honey-dipper. She really enjoyed it and wants to make a pen next.

Good job on the honey dripper! :highfive: She's off to a great start. I see several lathes in your futures! Can you say "A-DDICT-ED.:hypnotized::eek::eek: Bwahahaha. It has begun! :eek::biggrin::biggrin:

You realize, of course, the only treatment for this addiction is...............MORE WOOD! BIGGER LATHE! MORE TOOLS! HEHE

Keep up the great work. You two are both off to a great start making beautiful handmade works of art. And remember, no pictures...didn't happen. So ya gotta post pics of ALL your work. :rolleyes::rolleyes::wink: HEHEHE :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Last edited:

LeeR

Nice job, and I do like the taper, too. I bought some Slim 7mm pens at Rockler for $1.99 when I was at the Denver store a week ago. (And they are still on sale, and Rockler has free shipping on their website thru January, if I recall ...) I had decided they would be good "practice" pens. I was not partial to the "skinny" look (bushing-to-bushing -- I'm slowly picking up the lingo :)), so I tuned them with tapers, and really liked the looks. Link below to the picture.

I did have one of them fail after a few openings and closings. The transmission just snapped. May have been a pressing error that strained it, but I was able to drill out the remnants of he snapped off piece, then I robbed another kit of its transmission. I was able to salvage the pen.

If you like the slims, I might recommend a Streamline Flat Top kit, since it has a larger diameter center band, with a more stylized shape (well, IMHO, that is!). I ordered mine from Lee Valley, but sure other sources must carry them.

http://www.penturners.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=40670&d=1290736883

Last edited:
Top Bottom