Modesto- Stockton area members?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

RAdams

Banned
My wife has some family just outside of Stockton that is trying to talk her into moving us out there. She keeps telling me that there is a huge market for the stuff i make, and i could easily supplement my show income with floor covering work. Anyone from around there?? I was just trying to get an idea of the economy and all that type stuff...

I am considering it seriously... For one, I am a huge fan of outdoor activity, especially stuff in the ocean... Surfing, Kitesurfing, ski-ing, etc. etc. It would probably be a nice change of scenery too. Anyway, Any thoughts or knowledge would be much appreciated!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dave_M

Hey Ron,
I'm a couple hours south of Modesto in Clovis... just east of Fresno along the foothills. Not much ocean in Modesto or Stockton but the ocean is only a couple hours away. In fact I think that should be the motto for Central California. "Only a couple of hours from everywhere you really want to be."

Seriously that's what I love the most about living here. A few hours in any direction will put you at the coast, high sierras, several national parks, the desert... you name it and you can have it in less than a days drive. I do a lot of motorcycle sport touring so it's ideal for me.

Can't speak specifically about the economy or job market in that area, but overall it's tough all over. California is not exactly a business friendly and has been slowly taxing businesses along with the jobs right out of here and it's just getting worse. Job availability is the worst I have ever seen it around my area. I really can't speak for the area north of us, but I can't imagine it's much better. This is a great area but if I were you, I would look carefully at the job market before I made that commitment. I guess one positive is housing costs are about as good as it's been in a very long time. Interest rates are low, prices are down, and there are deals out there.

Would love to have another turner in our general area. Keep me posted should you decide to head out west. I would like to meet up with you.

Take care Ron and good luck!
Dave

RAdams

Banned
Thanks Dave! I am still looking into the economy and all that stuff.. I will be making some calls in the next few days to see what i can find. I will keep you updated!

nava1uni

The economy in Northern California is very poor at this time. Housing costs here are still high, but the wages and job market is very tight. I have heard from several friends that the craft show venues are down and sales are not great as a year or so ago. Like Dave said it is close to many kinds of outdoor activities. I live a few blocks from the Pacific Ocean and from here I can get to hiking, skiing in the winter and many other activities all within about 4-5 hours. It is more expensive to live in the Bay Area then the area where Dave lives.

Last edited:

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
If you are planning on buying a home be sure to check property tax rates. A friend moved here from Texas for a "great job with large pay raise". After they bought their house and discovered the 1%/year of property tax they did the math and found they were actually taking home less money than back in Austin. 9 months later they moved back.

Property tax is 1% of property value per year + any city/county bond-debt.

Just found a very interesting site: http://www.homeinsight.com/home-value/CA/stockton.asp. It will give you all sorts of interesting statistics about an area you are thinking of moving to.

GK

RAdams

Banned
Thanks for all the heads up! I knew it was going to be more, but i just learned that it will cost me at least 400 closer to 800 a month for a one bed apartment. My yearly lot lease on my house is 700, so i dont see it happening. I am actually considering a move in a different direction!

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
That's too bad. I would be good to have you join our little group. But I fully understand not coming to the land of Milk & Honey & Taxes.

Top Bottom