Meeting results

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ldubia

Well, let's see. Where to start...The meeting was a great success. Dave was the first to arrive and was waiting for me as I pulled up and parked from breakfast celebrating.
Everyone who came had a great time and went away with some neat goodies. The pieces shred were all fabulous (as usual) and showed some interesting creativity in the works.
The food was terrific finished off with a birthday cake and 46 candles for Greg.
The demos included the Mini Monster hollowing tool demoed by me and tried by Art, one of the new guys, and Larry of Santa Rosa. Both went away with big grins and a desire to do more creative things.
The second demo was by Greg showing the hollowing of a ornament after a brief explanation of why we should cut the wood following the grain instead of uphill.
As usual many great stories were told of turning and otherwise.

I myself had a truly wonderful day and enjoyed sharing my home with everyone and listening and learning.

I thank everyone for coming and making this day a great success.

It was a terrific day.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

avbill

Larry Thank you for being a great host! Our meeting at Larry's home in the Santa Cruz mountain is what IPA is all about sharing ideas sharing different ways people do things. Many new recipes I know I need to put up the potato salad recipe! There were several young turners just starting too. Which is nice to see! Hope everyone had a safe drive home!

bill

ldubia

My wife is happy about the meeting too. She is MOST happy about the garage being cleaned out. She wanted me to tell everyone thanks for the generosity and friendship extended in our home. She enjoyed meeting the new people and seeing the stuff we all do. She had a good time as well.

As a side, if anyone needs seam rippers in bulk, I can get them at cost plus shipping. They cost me 46 cents each. So 100 rippers would be $46. PM me if you would like some. I will do lots of 25 if you need but prefer at least 50.

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
Woohoo that was fun!

Thank you everyone, that was a blast! Personally I think the most fun I had was watching the ornament blowing up as I made an "oops".

I managed to sneak a few pictures of the festivities on my phone.

First is the braggart's table:
attachment.php

Lots of really cool stuff there.

The second one is everyone enjoying the wonderful lunch:
attachment.php

And finally the piece d' resistance:
attachment.php

I REALLY want to thank everyone for the Happy Birthday wishes and nice gifts!!

I can't wait until our next gathering!

Attachments

• IMG_0116.jpg
    IMG_0116.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 337
  • IMG_0115.jpg
    IMG_0115.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 341
  • IMG_0117.jpg
    IMG_0117.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 328

darcisowers

We had a great time too!!

The visiting was awesome as usual; food was quite tasty; demos were enlightening. Thanks so much for hosting Larry (and Kathy).

Andy was so excited to get home and cut open one of the manzanita burls that we bought from Larry. Now we have dozens of pen blanks, and that was just from the first and smallest burl!

And for our curiosity what plating (for the pen kit) do you like best paired with Manzanita?

nava1uni

Larry,
Thank you for sharing your cabin in the mountains. I had a great time, as usual, talking with everyone, sharing methods, ideas, ways of doing things. It was a great group of people and nice meeting the new members.
Thank Kathy for her hospitality. Thank you for all of the goodies. Hope everyone's ride home was nice and easy.

nava1uni

Larry,
Thank you for sharing your cabin in the mountains. I had a great time, as usual, talking with everyone, sharing methods, ideas, ways of doing things. It was a great group of people and nice meeting the new members.
Thank Kathy for her hospitality. Thank you for all of the goodies. Hope everyone's ride home was nice and easy.

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
And for our curiosity what plating (for the pen kit) do you like best paired with Manzanita?

I really like Gold with most red blanks. But if it is a really clean, deep, bluish red blank then the platinum kits look really good too.
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_4637.jpg
    IMG_4637.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 369

Kicker

Larry,

Thanks for hosting the meeting, I enjoyed meeting everyone and cant wait to get started working with all of the goodies I brought home. I look forward to getting together with everyone again!!

David

nava1uni

The visiting was awesome as usual; food was quite tasty; demos were enlightening. Thanks so much for hosting Larry (and Kathy).

Andy was so excited to get home and cut open one of the manzanita burls that we bought from Larry. Now we have dozens of pen blanks, and that was just from the first and smallest burl!

I think that something in the silver family looks best with Manzanita, but that is just me.

reefboy1

Hi all,

I had a great time meeting you all and seeing all the beautiful pieces on display.

Thanks so much to Larry for his hospitality and generousity (it's nice to have my first stock of blanks).

Look forward to seeing you all again,

Art

ldubia

I do mostly gold with the manzanita as it shows off the wood nicely. However, I have done a few platinums and black titaniums and they come out sharp too. I guess it all comes down to whatever YOU think yous right when you do it. Try them all side by side and see what you think looks best and second best. I would like to see the results though. I love this wood. It is always striking and just gorgeous when turned to a satin finish. Let the color of the wood come out without a high gloss. See what you think.

Thank ya'll fer the kand werds. I certainly enjoyed having ya'll heah. It twas a gud 'sperence. Ah lernt a bunch frum ya'll. Here in thes deep woods, theys all kand a goins on. Us mountin folk gots to stik together. Thas why we gots this cabin.

Dang, it is hard to write like that. :biggrin:

Last edited:

ldubia

It was even funnier trying to talk like that and write it down. It took quite a while to do it.

I am certainly glad everyone came. I am already looking forward to the next meeting. has it been three months yet?

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
We usually have them every 3-4 months. So that would be Feb/March. But if someone wants to host one sooner I don't think anyone will complain!

GK

ldubia

hosting

We usually have them every 3-4 months. So that would be Feb/March. But if someone wants to host one sooner I don't think anyone will complain!

GK

I think there are some who may object to my house due to the roads in. Although there is always Hwy 17 to Scotts Valley and back on Hwy 9 to get here. Not much in the way of hard curves like Bear Creek Road. Or to really avoid the curves, take a private helicopter to the nearest park and have your limo drive you in. :rolleyes::laugh: Or parachute in. :eek::eek::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Seriously I wouldn't mind doing it again if others want to visit the woods area again.

Has anyone ever turned para lam? I just bought a 4 foot section to try out. They make really neat bowls and such.

http://www.outofcontrol-woodturning.com/Parallam.html

http://bobswoodturning.com/p-vase-0001.html

http://gallery.mjhturnings.com/GalleryFilmstrip.aspx?gallery=217539&mid=7030019&mt=Photo

These are just a few I have seen online. I am going to try a few.

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
I've turned some bottle stoppers from parallam. Makes for pretty stuff. Be absolutely sure to where your faceshield and probably safety glasses under it. The stuff chips and flakes like crazy. LOTS of CA for stabilization when you get close to final.

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
Parallam is engineered lumber used to make large beams for construction projects. You can buy it at any commercial lumberyard but you would probably have to get several feet of it. Or, if you know people in the construction trade you can ask them for their cutoffs in trade for ???

ldubia

I got a 4' section from the lumber yard. They have leftover pieces from cuts they have made. Also, there are customer orders that have not been picked up or whatever out by the back fence that may be purchased at a lower price. Just go down to any lumberyard ad ask for it. They may have some leftovers sitting around. I think the smallest is 3.5" thick by 11 7/8 wide. Check with contractors to see if there are any cut offs you can get from them.

Dave_M

Larry I love twisty roads.

motosig_blk.gif

I haven't ridden up in your area in several years but Bear Creek, Hwy 9 & Skyline are great moto roads. I lived in Willow Glen and worked in Cupertino a life time ago.

That Parallam looks really interesting. I haven't seen that before but when I saw the pics in your links it reminded me somewhat of Dakota Burl.

I think there are some who may object to my house due to the roads in. Although there is always Hwy 17 to Scotts Valley and back on Hwy 9 to get here. Not much in the way of hard curves like Bear Creek Road. Or to really avoid the curves, take a private helicopter to the nearest park and have your limo drive you in. :rolleyes::laugh: Or parachute in. :eek::eek::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

ldubia

parallam bowl

First pics of parallam bowl AFTER blowout and repair.

Paralam bowl-1-1.jpgParalam bowl-1-2.jpgParalam bowl-1-3.jpgParalam bowl-1-4.jpgParalam bowl-1-5.jpg

The bowl was an additional 1.5" taller but it cracked off at high speed even after using copious amounts of CA to stabilize it before final sizing. This stuff is fun but ya gotta be careful with it. I have a second one in process.

Last edited:

ldubia

pics

Hey, Larry. I saw you taking lots of pictures at the gathering. Where the heck are they? :tongue:

Oh yeah. I knew there was something I was supposed to do with those. :rolleyes::biggrin:
Here ya go. I didn't get chance to take a lot this time around.
IAP 11-14-2010-1.jpg

IAP 11-14-2010-2.jpg

IAP 11-14-2010-3.jpg

IAP 11-14-2010-4.jpg

IAP 11-14-2010-5.jpg

IAP 11-14-2010-6.jpg

IAP 11-14-2010-7.jpg

One thing I forgot to do at the meeting was present Andy Sowers with a Herringbone blank. This is a different version than he had made. I mailed it to him and he loves it. You will hav e to get a pic of the finished pen from him.

atsowers

I'll have to turn it when I get back... the family and I are enjoying food, family, and friends here on the east coast for the Thanksgiving holiday!

THANKS Larry, turning this 'herringbone' will be a blast! :)

Andy

Top Bottom