• Saturday May 22nd

Votes: 4 36.4%
  • Sunday May 23rd

Votes: 3 27.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
OK so lets start planning the May meeting.

May 15th is the Bay Area Woodturners Association meeting at the Castro Valley High School Cafeteria. They will be demo'ing turning madrone burl and spheres. I plan on going to that.

May 16th, 22nd, and 23rd are good weekends for Jay and I. What say you all? I'll leave the poll open until April 13th so everyone will hopefully have a chance to see and participate in the vote. Planning the events can continue in the meantime.

I am offering up my place for this one. For the new members, I live in Pleasanton which is sorta kinda "central" to our membership.

What do you want to see? What can you offer to demo? Let's "git r done".

GK
(BBANC: Bubbasville, Bay Area Northern California (for easy search of all our events)).

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

darcisowers

right now we do not currently have anything planned in may, so I have not voted, because ANY of the days would work for us...

but, the poll says that it will close on 4-13... :confused:

Will have to think about what we want to do/see and let you know. :biggrin:

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
but, the poll says that it will close on 4-13... :confused:

Yup, I gave a long voting period because 1) our last vote went for 10 days and we got 10 votes so I'm hoping with 23 days of voting we will get more people involved. 2) It still gives us a month to plan for the earliest date in May so why not? ;-)

GK

PaulSF

I always prefer a Sunday, because I work on Saturdays until 4 pm. I may be able to get someone to cover the store for me, though.

avbill

This one I believe you are going to count me out. Schedules graduation on the 15th and 16th back east and then a third graduation on the 22nd. And three of my family sings in a chior and their spring program is the 23rd. I'd be in the dog house if I missed any of the events Bill

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
cree cree cree cree

The sound of crickets is getting deafening around here. Do people want to have this meeting? Or have they become too "run of the mill" to get people excited?

Bill, I'm sad you can't make it, but it sounds like you will be having lots of fun without us! :biggrin: Congrats to all your graduates. May they find meaningful employment quickly!

tbroye

Greg

I am good for the 16th. will be in Idaho for my oldest Grandson' order of arrow ceremony and the twin grandkids birthday on the 23. I might sneak down a saturday the woodtuners thing also

Tom

markgum

sorry work is really picking up and during May will be working weekends.:mad: However, the pay will be nice..:biggrin: but SWMBO won't let me drive 1700 miles (round trip) to attend a shin-ding..:frown:
have a super time.
Hope all is well with my CA friends.

ldubia

I voted for the 16th. I plan on going to the event Greg mentioned. Sounds like it might be interesting. As for the meet, I can bring some information on a twisted configuaration similar to the 360 herringbone. I just found this and have not dome it yet. I can bring a desert for the meet as well. I have the perfect desert. Very flavorful and highly fattening...or not.

Larry

There's no such thing as wood shavings. These are cast blanks in the raw.

dangre

I'll have to pass on voting also as the entire month's schedule is up in the air for me.
BAWA gets Dale Larson on Saturday the 15th, but we, the Silicon Valley Woodturners, get him on Sunday the 16th, so if I can break away for a day, I'll see him then. Greg, try not to tire him out too much.

Dan

gomeral

I put in for Saturday, but I'm 50/50 on making it. I'll be in NYC for a wedding the weekend prior and we're supposed to stay through the 23rd, but are trying to rebook for a return earlier.

daniel

nava1uni

I voted for the 16th, but if another weekend is better for the most then I will come to it. I am eager to see big mustard. It would be nice to see just about anything. I always come away with renewed spirit for turning and life in general. I will have some questions about the herringbone. I have glued and unglued mine a couple of times, continues to be interesting process, just mind boggling.

angboy

Boy, I've got to remember to check out this forum more often- I always seem to miss it! But luckily I got a reminder from Greg so came over to check it out. Unlike last time, it looks like I could make any of the dates, so missing the voting doesn't matter to much for me. But now I'll be watching the thread so that I get notices as plans are finalized. I really look forward to planning to make this one. No special request as far as demos or anything- I just can't think of anything that comes to mind right now, but if I think of anything, I'll post an idea. I just want to come for the socialization and good company!

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
OK, Sunday May 16th at my house it is!!

The only thing I see as a desire is Celtic knot. Anything else? Lots of new folks, do you want to see CA finishing?, photography?, bottle stopper turning?, pendant turning?, something else that I can't think of?

GK

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
Angela (and all you viewers out there in IAP land), you can also subscribe to a particular forum and you will get an email when any post arrives in that forum. To do so, when viewing the forum select "forum tools: subscribe to this forum" from the right side of the lower menu bar.

I do that as a "daily digest" for all forums I care about so once a day I see all posts that occur there and then I subscribe to individual posts as interest dictates.

Just trying to make people's lives easier in this "too much info to find" world.

GK

nava1uni

Boy, I've got to remember to check out this forum more often- I always seem to miss it! But luckily I got a reminder from Greg so came over to check it out. Unlike last time, it looks like I could make any of the dates, so missing the voting doesn't matter to much for me. But now I'll be watching the thread so that I get notices as plans are finalized. I really look forward to planning to make this one. No special request as far as demos or anything- I just can't think of anything that comes to mind right now, but if I think of anything, I'll post an idea. I just want to come for the socialization and good company!

Don't forget the food. LOL, See you there.
I wouldn't mind reviewing photography or sharpening as both seem to have a mental block in my mind.

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
Speaking of food, do we want to do brats and burgers again? Or try something new and different? We could make a big pot of chili? Or??

angboy

OK, I'll come for the food too! Not sure what to suggest as far as the menu, burgers are always good. Chili is good too, but personally I don't like super hot and spicy chili. But I'll eat whatever people want to choose!

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
Can anyone give a tutorial on making Polymer Clay pens? I've tried it once but just got "mud" for a design. It would be interesting to see how to do it "right".

nava1uni

I could bring some clay and show how I do it. It is fairly easy to transport. Speaking of food. What do you want us to bring? How many people are coming so far, do we know?

angboy

I'd like to bring a dessert item if that's OK. I don't "cook" much else well anyway, and I do make some awesome fake toffee. I'd also be happy to contribute anything else as far as supplies or things that don't require "making", like maybe chips or sodas or buns?

darcisowers

at least one of us will be there; both if we can find a sitter (our sitter has prom the night before, so she may not available). :)

Have we decided on the main item yet? I can bring whatever is needed.

Greg - we also have an easy up we can bring if you think it will be needed.

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
I'd like to bring a dessert item if that's OK. I don't "cook" much else well anyway, and I do make some awesome fake toffee. I'd also be happy to contribute anything else as far as supplies or things that don't require "making", like maybe chips or sodas or buns?

Mmmmm Toffeeeee Sounds good!! What else we need will depend on what we decide to have. Sodas/chips/salsa all would be good. And leftovers could easily go back home (at least of the unopened stuff). But not the toffee, it stays here! :biggrin:

at least one of us will be there; both if we can find a sitter (our sitter has prom the night before, so she may not available). :)

Have we decided on the main item yet? I can bring whatever is needed.

Greg - we also have an easy up we can bring if you think it will be needed.

Nope, no decisions have been reached. But the easy up would be good. I have the one but it is never wide enough to shade the entire garage opening. Having two side by side would be at least 3 times as good.

RMB

Hey guys, long time no see.

I'd vote for the 16th, but the polls closed. Mostly just because it's the soonest, but any of those would work for me. It's at Gregs place right? Wow, last time I was there I had my tiny motorsickle.

I can do a demo on how to take a year long penturning break, hardly go to work, pick up two other (expensive) hobbies, amass some fun medical bills, and be super broke the whole time.

I'll bring some munchies.

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
Hey guys, long time no see.

I'd vote for the 16th, but the polls closed. Mostly just because it's the soonest, but any of those would work for me. It's at Gregs place right? Wow, last time I was there I had my tiny motorsickle.
Last time you were here you had just gotten engaged. :biggrin:
I can do a demo on how to take a year long penturning break, hardly go to work, pick up two other (expensive) hobbies, amass some fun medical bills, and be super broke the whole time.
Hey, we can tag team this demo!
I'll bring some munchies.

Glad you can make it! It will be good to see you again!

Dave_M

Well... heck. My wife will be recovering from surgery so I'll need to be home with her instead of playing with tools with you all. Sorry guys.

Dave

ldubia

How does a person (me) make the CA black? I need to glue in black cracks to fill in spaces and make it look good. This might be good for the meeting too.

Larry

nava1uni

How does a person (me) make the CA black? I need to glue in black cracks to fill in spaces and make it look good. This might be good for the meeting too.

Larry

You can use a piece of artists charcoal and rub it into the area that has some CA on it, or you can shave some into a fine powder and mix it in medium or thick CA with a toothpick and then fill in the cracks or spaces. I will bring some charcoal to the meeting and show you what I mean.

gomeral

I'm sorry to say I can't make it - as mentioned, I'll be in NYC for a wedding. I'm happy the group is doing well and organizing exciting meetings, I hope to make it to the next one. Maybe I can offer Fresno again. ;)

By the way, not to hijack in any way whatsoever but just to share with folks that (mostly) know me - I'm having a daughter in September! I'm not sure if I'll ever see a lathe again, but I'm excited. :D

daniel

ldubia

You can use a piece of artists charcoal and rub it into the area that has some CA on it, or you can shave some into a fine powder and mix it in medium or thick CA with a toothpick and then fill in the cracks or spaces. I will bring some charcoal to the meeting and show you what I mean.

Thanks Cindy. I appreciate the help. I look forward to seeing this and learning this step. See you at the meeting.

Larry

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Top Bottom