Looking for a Lathe

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Jim Campbell

I had a nice surprise bonus this week and I promised to only spend half on myself and leave the other half for Linda (bills.......bills.......bills).

I'm looking to move from the ole' Oliver 51-D lathe to a newer lathe. I like the Jet 1642EVS I saw at Art's during the last Pen Turners meeting. A new one will run around $2500.

I'm looking for a minimum 16" swing and variable speed, preferably with reverse. I'm looking to keep it at or under $3,000 and figure another $500 or so for accessories.

But before I make a commitment, what are folks thoughts about lathes, in terms of brand, useability, cost? 1" vs. 1 1/4" spindle, speed control?

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Lucky you! Congratulations!
I can't offer any advice on that kind of lathe, but the 1642EVS sure looks like a good one and Woodcraft has them on sale right now:
Jet 1642EVS at Woodcraft.com

Be sure to post photos of whatever you wind up with.

JimB

Don't forget to consider the electic requirements. I believe that Jet comes in 1.5 and 2.0 HP and they have different electric requirements.

robersonjr

Jim, this is an awesome opportunity if you are interested, $3,000 and it's yours. This is an excellent machine. Comes with the factory accessories and I may have a few chisels I can throw in. V/R Robbie

stonepecker

I sure do wish I could afford the road trip. Neveda is just a little to far out of my range at this time. That looks like a great deal.
Sorry to read about your problems Robbie.

Cmiles1985

Oh no, that was definitely meant for Jim! For me, that would be a 26 hour drive each way. I need a Powermatic like I need a hole in my head! I want one, but can't justify it as I'm buying another house. I'm also buying a Walker-Turner to restore.

Good luck with the sale, and I'm sorry to hear of your condition.

Jim Campbell

I'm in touch with him.....Definitely on the radar. I'd take a trip to Fallon if the lathe will fit in the Volvo XC90, which means we'd need to break it down.

BMellber

Have a safe trip home

Jim,
Hope you were able to get the trailer to work and could visit the Woodworking Source in Reno before heading home. Looking forward to seeing the new lathe in your shop.
Bill

Jim Campbell

Well........Linda and I ran up Sunday to Sparks. Linda visited a quilt shop (Windy Moon Quilts) and a yarn place. On Monday we stopped at Workman Farms so she could check out more fabric.

After that we picked up the trailer and headed over to Robbie's. What great folks Edie and Robbie. We had a great time. Met a friend of Robbie's, Tim, who helped us load the lathe on to the trailer.

Robbie wouldn't let us leave without lunch. Boy is Edie a great cook. I wouldn't leave without seeing some of the turning Robbie has done. Really nice stuff. Great folks.

We left Fallon, NV at 12:28 by the clock in the car. Made a stop at the rest stop out of Colfax. Got gas in Dixon, and backed the trailer into the garage at 5:45. And yes, I did the speed limit....wink.....wink......

The question is; Now what? Tomorrow I work on getting the lathe off of the trailer.

Attachments

• Lathe_Trailer_Garage_800x400.jpg
    Lathe_Trailer_Garage_800x400.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 193
  • Lathe_Rest_Stop_800x600.jpg
    Lathe_Rest_Stop_800x600.jpg
    133.9 KB · Views: 192
Last edited:

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
Have appliance dolly. Can travel.

Order of operations:
Remove tail stock and carry in.
Remove tool rest and carry in.
Remove headstock, grunt and groan with a friend while moving it in.
Move in legs and bed. If that proves too heavy, disassemble and move in the bits.
Reassemble in reverse order.

Appliance-moving elbow-straps would be helpful for the bed+legs.

robersonjr

Well........Linda and I ran up Sunday to Sparks. Linda visited a quilt shop (Windy Moon Quilts) and a yarn place. On Monday we stopped at Workman Farms so she could check out more fabric.

After that we picked up the trailer and headed over to Robbie's. What great folks Edie and Robbie. We had a great time. Met a friend of Robbie's, Tim, who helped us load the lathe on to the trailer.

Robbie wouldn't let us leave without lunch. Boy is Edie a great cook. I wouldn't leave without seeing some of the turning Robbie has done. Really nice stuff. Great folks.

We left Fallon, NV at 12:28 by the clock in the car. Made a stop at the rest stop out of Colfax. Got gas in Dixon, and backed the trailer into the garage at 5:45. And yes, I did the speed limit....wink.....wink......

The question is; Now what? Tomorrow I work on getting the lathe off of the trailer.

Jim, hope you enjoy that machine, it was a pain to watch it leave yesterday. I know it will be in a great home. Had a wonderful time meeting with you and Linda, if you are ever in the area again, please stop in for a visit. I am glad you made it home without problems, I hope you get it unloaded as effortless as we loaded it. Enjoy V/R Robbie

nava1uni

when are we getting together to christen it with an IAP meeting? Congratulations to you on getting. What a nice lathe. Glad that getting it was easy. ENJOY!

Jim Campbell

Well....hats off to Greg who came over on Tuesday and help get the lathe off of the trailer. The roof joists held the weight and we muscled it into place.

Greg, being a Powermatic guy, helped level the lathe and ensure it was aligned correctly. Unfortunately I had forgotten to get the power plugs and cord before he got there, so he hasn't heard it run yet.

Nice and quite......

Now if I can find a buyer for the two Oliver lathes.......

Attachments

• Lathe_in_Position_in_Garage_800x600.jpg
    Lathe_in_Position_in_Garage_800x600.jpg
    174.2 KB · Views: 186
Last edited:

LeeR

Wow, congratulations. You got a heck of a deal on that lathe! I've had a Powermatic 14" bandsaw for over 5 years now, and love it. The mustard color -- well, that's going to take a little longer ... :)

robersonjr

Well....hats off to Greg who came over on Tuesday and help get the lathe off of the trailer. The roof joists held the weight and we muscled it into place.

Greg, being a Powermatic guy, helped level the lathe and ensure it was aligned correctly. Unfortunately I had forgotten to get the power plugs and cord before he got there, so he hasn't heard it run yet.

Nice and quite......

Now if I can find a buyer for the two Oliver lathes.......
Well Jim, looks like you got it off the trailer OK. Looks good there, I know you are going to love that beast.

Top Bottom