Lidded box

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ldubia

Well after several tries (and blowouts:eek:, design opportunities:rolleyes:, and funnels:eek::eek:) I have finished a lidded box. It is not the one I was hoping to do but it works none the less. I will have it for the meeting in Clovis. It is not the customary lidded type. Very different.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dave_M

Nice to hear Larry. I actually started one today. I turned a block of big leaf maple Burl round. The rest is easy right?

Dave_M

Hi All,
I started my lidded box and it's been both an adventure and an education. How quickly that gouge can get away from you on these larger turnings. Wow! Had a couple mistakes that forced a change in the shape of my box. At least it wasn't a total loss.

I do have a question and maybe this is more a matter of preference but I'd still like some opinions please. Here is a pic of where I'm at in the process.

1024.jpg

Much to my surprise, when I got into this Big Leaf Maple Burl, a large void appeared. My lid has a good fit just shy of being tight. I'm sure the slightest amount of finish will create a tight fit. My question has to do with the void. You can see the parting cut I started on the left. Leave the void, fill the void, Turner's discretion? Can I, should I attempt to fill something this large? The void goes at least half way through the piece.

Basically I have to finish hollowing the box, part it off and then apply a finish.

I appreciate any input you can provide?
Thanks,
Dave

Dave_M

I actually thought a box was square?

Me too until I bought a lathe. My life has never been the same since that day. I'd bet Christopher Columbus was a wood turner at some point in his life. That's why he insisted the world was round instead of flat.

nava1uni

If you are going to fill the void. You will need to decide what material you will use. When I fill a void, it is usually not until the end of the turning.

ldubia

I myself have done both left open and fills using brass, copper, or some other material (easy on chisels) filled with CA. As you said, it is turners discretion. You are the artist doing the piece. Whichever way you decide to go will be fine I am sure. I tried another box and had some issues with it. I am going to try and do something different.

I just bought a larger lathe so can do a larger piece now. Will have to see what I decide on.

Dave_M

When I first turned my box, I turned the lid to a very tight fit. First time I put it on all the way, I almost couldn't get it off. I'm glad I let it sit for a couple days before adjusting the fit because it now fits just about perfect. Maybe just a hair on the loose side, but it still has that vacuum sound when I pull it off so I'm calling it good.

reefboy1

loose fit

Dave,

I've made a few boxes now and have found that the ones that I've made snug fit will at times become to tight to remove. I really think that you should think about turning the lids for a loose fit so that you don't run into this problem.

Art

bensoelberg

On her DVD, Cindy Drozda says that in her experience, the only people that like their boxes to have a tight lid are other woodturners. If your primary goal is to "wow" the other turners at your meeting, turn a super tight lid, if you're hoping to sell it, it is best to make sure the lid comes off pretty easily.

Ps, I really like the void. I wouldn't fill it.

Dave_M

Thanks Ben,
I did leave the void open. I was a bit concerned about the integrity of the foot with the void but after I parted it off, there was plenty of wood for a solid foot so I left it be.

Overall it looks good, which is a surprise. My first step into something besides a pen or a stopper and I didn't blow it up. A couple scary moments with the gouge but nothing I couldn't recover from.

Dave_M

Well my box met with a small disaster. I was getting ready to apply the second coat of finish when it fell off the stand I had setup. It dropped about 4 feet and hit the concrete floor bouncing multiple times. Totally trashed the finish and created more than a few large dents. Bummed but not done I cleaned it up as quickly as I could in the time I had left to refinish it. Two funerals this week has limited my shop time.

I'm not completely satisfied with the finish but it's good enough for the moment. Especially considering it's my first non pen / stopper. I applied the finish yesterday evening so it's still a bit soft but workable. Although our temps are up, the humidity is also high so everything is slow to dry. It's hard to see in this quick pic but there is a nice polish to the finish. The lighting isn't the best but I don't feel like playing with it right now. Long tiring day at my house today.

1_IMG_3971.jpg

ldubia

Mine feels so inadequate now. That looks really sharp for a first time. congrats on the fiished product. The first one is always the hardest. Mine is still having issues. I did two but both are not satisfying. The bigger one I had going had a major internal crack and literally fell apart on the lathe with a catch. Bummer. Oh well, back to the drawing board. See you on Saturday.

I had issues with chucks and tools on mine. It is done without finish, but done anyway. Not happy with the way the lid fits but it is ok. I guess.

Top Bottom