June Meeting???

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dave_M

Hey all y'all!
We've kicked around the idea of having a meeting down here in the Central Valley area. I looked at my calendar for May and with Mother's Day, Memorial Day and the third weekend in May filled on my calendar the next realistic date on my calendar is June 4th. If June 4th or possibly June 11th works for everyone, I'd be happy to host the next meeting at my place here in Clovis. I thought I should open a thread to get the discussion started. Lets see where it goes.

Although I wasn't able to attend the last meeting up in Santa Rosa, I understand we have a challenge to turn a lidded box for our next meeting. I haven't turned a bowl or lidded box yet, but I like the challenge. I like the idea of having a common goal and everyone working towards that goal for the meeting and discussing what we did and what we learned.

I was sharing with Larry that one of the things I do every year is host a "Garage Day" at my house for all my motorcycle friends. A Garage Day is a day to get together to do work that requires more than your basic mechanic skills such as a suspension rebuild. It works out well to have a group with varying skill sets working towards a common goal. Everyone finds it challenging and an educational opportunity.

Typically someone takes the lead and orchestrates the project by outlining the basic process and creating a list of needed tools & parts so everyone is prepared for the task at hand. At the end of the Garage Day a lot of work is done, everyone has a great time and we all leave with an education. I've sometimes wondered if a similar format could work for our group. I think the lidded box is a great example. There seems to be plenty of good information available on the Internet for turning lidded boxes.

There has also been talk about another casting session. I don't know if this is something to consider for the same meeting but I thought I would put it out there as a possibility.

Thanks,
Dave

ldubia

I'm in for the 4th. Unless of course life happens to step in and stop me...entirely possible.

Dave your wood will be going out hopefully today. I have to go to san jose with my wife for the day but hope to get back in time to put it in. If not, Monday morning. It is all packed up and ready to go.

ldubia

Dave, your package went out this morning. Should be there in a couple of days.
I will bring the table and a couple chairs again. At least me and possibly my wife again. Don't know yet.

Who has the birthday for this next period?

Also what would the agenda have in it? Aside from the discussion of lidded boxes. Also start considering what the next challenge will be.
Did I ramble enough?

If anyone needs wood, please let me know so I can plan for whatever amount needs to be brought.

Dave_M

Thanks Larry,
Package was delivered today. Very cool stuff!

Much appreciated,
Dave

Dave, your package went out this morning. Should be there in a couple of days.
I will bring the table and a couple chairs again. At least me and possibly my wife again. Don't know yet.

Who has the birthday for this next period?

Also what would the agenda have in it? Aside from the discussion of lidded boxes. Also start considering what the next challenge will be.
Did I ramble enough?

If anyone needs wood, please let me know so I can plan for whatever amount needs to be brought.

Dave_M

I broke my foot today. Walking quickly through the garage barefoot, I found my Jet 1236 lathe stand to be very solid. Man that really hurt. Now I'm wearing a fancy boot for the next 6 weeks.

Dave

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
I broke my foot today. Walking quickly through the garage barefoot, I found my Jet 1236 lathe stand to be very solid. Man that really hurt. Now I'm wearing a fancy boot for the next 6 weeks.

Dave

Do you want us to move the meeting to "central" and we can have it down there next time? Or do you think you will be up for it in June?

Dave_M

Thanks Greg. I'm sure I'll be good to go for the meeting.

Dave

Do you want us to move the meeting to "central" and we can have it down there next time? Or do you think you will be up for it in June?

turn4fun

I'd like to vote for Jun 4th. Connie and I are very interested in casting blanks. So, we'd love to see a casting workshop on the agenda for some future meeting. However, we've heard that it's maybe better to have a casting workshop at a centrally located meeting. Maybe Greg could comment on this. Anyway, Connie and I will be glad to head south for our next meeting.

Connie and Larry Rayher

Dave_M

I would agree Larry. Since I don't do casting, I think it would be better to address casting closer to home for those who have the equipment, supplies, and expertise. Aside from the better turnout due to being centrally located, I think it would be a better presentation all the way around if the presenter had home field advantage.

I'm sure we can come up with other topics. I know there has been discussion regarding vacuum chucks before. I'm not sure who in our group has built one before... other than Greg. Maybe Greg (or anyone else with experience) could post of some general info as to how & why or why not use a vacuum chuck and post some links specific to building a vacuum chuck. Those that are seriously interested in building one could get started on it and at the meeting we could discuss progress made, lessons learned, and maybe have a demo. Being a wood turning newbie I'm not sure how feasible the idea is, but just a thought.

Anyone with ideas, please toss them out here so we can kick them around.

Dave

I'd like to vote for Jun 4th. Connie and I are very interested in casting blanks. So, we'd love to see a casting workshop on the agenda for some future meeting. However, we've heard that it's maybe better to have a casting workshop at a centrally located meeting. Maybe Greg could comment on this. Anyway, Connie and I will be glad to head south for our next meeting.

Connie and Larry Rayher

nava1uni

Either day works for me, but I would prefer the 4th. I could bring the cord for the wood burner, this time, and you can all play with it on some wood to see what it is like to use.
I would like to do a round table of tips and tricks. It seems that everyone has some good things that they do, but that are a personal way of doing them. I like the round table idea a lot. June should be warm in Clovis, but not HOT.

turn4fun

It looks like Connie and I can only come on the 11th. Connie just told me she has a 50th High School Reunion in Nevada on the 4th. Guess I should have talked with the boss before I said the 4th worked for us! Trouble was the boss wasn't home. She was in East Bay visiting her daughter for a couple of days.:confused::biggrin:.. Larry Rayher

kludge77

That might be a bit too far for my sorry behind to commute in one day. I'm still in the challenge though. Got my box all roughed out and it should be dry enough to turn in May.

I will not be bringing anything amazing to the challenge except the sincerest hope that the two sides fit one another... :)

ldubia

I'm sure the two sides will fit pretty well. Somehow I think this challenge is going to be met by everyone whether experienced or not. We may have questions, comments, etc., but one thing is for certain...we will all learn from it. Of course, this is the part I like best. Seems like I can't get enough turning in. Can you say addiction? :eek::biggrin:

Cindy, are you going to make the meeting? If you are, don't forget the wood. And how did you like the alder?

Dave_M

So what's the difference between a lidded box vs. a bowl with a lid? If you tell me a box is square then I have a problem because my lathe has yet to turn out anything square. I'm so confused....

I've been doing some shop cleaning so haven't turned anything yet but hopefully I'll do something in the next few weeks. I finally ordered the Wolverine jig and a slow speed grinder to sharpen my tools. I've been free handing it on a Harbor Freight wet grinder, which has worked out fine especially considering the cost. After a while of free hand sharpening, the grind seems to drift too far from the original. I'm hoping using the Wolverine will be a little quicker and more consistent. Fortunately I got a steel of a deal on the wet grinder I bought two years ago and I was able to sell it for what I paid for it. Only bummer is Woodcraft said the new grinder won't ship for 5 weeks.

Oh, do me a favor. Don't tell my wife I asked about the difference between a box and a bowl. She would never stop laughing.

Thanks,
Dave

Dave_M

Ok another question. I know using a spindle gouge is not a good idea when turning bowls unless you want a bent gouge or worse. Yet I frequently read about people using a spindle gouge for hollowing? So is there a time for using a spindle gouge on a bowl or are these people pushing their luck? Or perhaps they have the experience and knowledge to make it work under the right circumstances. Help me understand please.

Thanks again.

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
So what's the difference between a lidded box vs. a bowl with a lid? If you tell me a box is square then I have a problem because my lathe has yet to turn out anything square. I'm so confused....

I had the same confusion but finally came to understand what I think are the differences. 1) the bottom is square cut on a box and rounded on a bowl. 2) the lid of a box goes on the outside of the body where the lid of a bowl usually sits on top or on the inside. 3) ((maybe)) on a box you aim for the lid to be a snug fit so you have to actually "work" to take it off but on a lidded bowl it sits in place purely by gravity. ((snug, not tight))

Those were the three differences I thought of and saw looking at everyones' turnings of bowls and boxes. I hope I'm right!

GK

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
The issue with spindle gouges is that they are thin and weak so if you extend them out past the tool rest to get to the bottom of a hollowing or bowl you might really regret it. I've seen people posting where their spindle gouge broke in half and the sharp went flying around the shop.

Now, if you are making something like a vase you would certainly use the spindle gouge on the outside of the vase, and maybe on the very top of the opening. But I personally wouldn't go much further than that. Someone who has umpteen years of experience and 100s of turnings might opt to take more risks than me because they have better tool control than me.

ldubia

I had the same confusion but finally came to understand what I think are the differences. 1) the bottom is square cut on a box and rounded on a bowl. 2) the lid of a box goes on the outside of the body where the lid of a bowl usually sits on top or on the inside. 3) ((maybe)) on a box you aim for the lid to be a snug fit so you have to actually "work" to take it off but on a lidded bowl it sits in place purely by gravity. ((snug, not tight))

Those were the three differences I thought of and saw looking at everyones' turnings of bowls and boxes. I hope I'm right!

GK

Yeah, what he said! :biggrin: Looking back at things I have seen, I would pretty much agree with this.

kludge77

GK

Yeah, what he said! :biggrin: Looking back at things I have seen, I would pretty much agree with this.

It's subjective to some degree but hey, that's turning for you!

Here's a great selection of how to's for box turning. Some are tall, some are small and others are very bowl like.. http://www.woodturningonline.com/Turning/Turning_projects.php?catid=13 (ignore the second posting. This dude doesn't have a clue. Trust me.)

ldubia

I am now unable to attend on the 4th. I have a magic show to put on for the hospital on the 4th,. I just got the request. So if the meeting happens on the 11th, I am good. If not, I am going to miss a good one. Please keep me informed.

Dave_M

Hey Larry I used to perform magic... once upon a time. I used to hang out at Steve Dawson's Magic Touch when I lived in Cupertino. I still dabble a little bit to keep the kids entertained.

I'm OK with pushing it out to the 11th as long as we don't lose others by doing so. I haven't had a chance to turn much with my broken foot so that gives me an extra week to prepare. I saw the Doc today and she said I need to stay off my feet as much as possible for another 4 weeks. Yeah right. That isn't going to happen as long as spring keeps poking it's head out. I hibernate during winter but when it warms up I have to play outside.

I've been buying larger turning tools recently. Pen sized turning tools are a little scary to use on the bigger stuff. I've picked up a couple Thompson gouges and a Sorby multi tip shear scraper. I'm looking for a nice 1/2" skew if anyone has a recommendation.

My first turned handle for my Thompson 3/8" bowl gouge.
1_IMG_0204.JPG

Thanks,
Dave

Dave_M

Where did you find the ferrule for it? I have never seen one like that. I like it.

I turned it from a 3/4" to 1/2" brass coupler I picked up at the hardware store.

Coupling.jpg

The coupler is threaded so I tapered the handle accordingly and threaded it on with a little epoxy to keep it in place. Once the epoxy set, I turned the coupler on the handle just enough to round it out and give it a smooth transition to the gouge. There is still plenty of meat left on the brass coupler to provide a lot of strength.

Dave

Dave_M

So... anyone turn a box yet? My Dr. said to stay off my feet but if I did what I was told... well I just wouldn't be me. I might give it a shot tomorrow. Too nice outside right now to sit around the house. I think my first attempt will be with a piece of scrap 4x4 pine. Once I learn what not to do, I'll try a nice piece of that Redwood Larry sent me.

reefboy1

I turned a maple box but am not really happy with the result. I'll probably do another one before the meeting time.

I've actually spent alot of time roughing out bowl blanks for drying. Pretty fun to turn really green wood :)

ldubia

I haven't worked on the box yet but I keep thinking about it. I have a couple of ideas I am working out in my head first.

Green wood is actually quite fun to turn. I did a small bowl today to mostly final shape and wall thickness and will let it dry before final sanding. It is going to be a nice piece. I did manage to make another funnel today. It was supposed to be a hollow form. Oh well.

Jim Burr

Banned
Just picked up on this thread. Haven't been around here in a few months but I still knock out 8-10 pens a month, several HF's and a box or two. Any of the weekends mentioned would work...I had cancer surgery last month and it will be a while before I'm back at work. I can bring my 1014 and chuck and lot's of tools and maybe some wood.

Cheers!

jim

nava1uni

Are we bringing lathes to this event? I will definitely bring the burner, tips and cords. I am working on a box and some other things. At the moment I am in Illinois, right outside of Chicago to the west and it has been snowing off and on. A large oak crashed last night, not sure it will fit in my carry on or in checked bag-too bad.

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
So... anyone turn a box yet? My Dr. said to stay off my feet but if I did what I was told... well I just wouldn't be me. I might give it a shot tomorrow. Too nice outside right now to sit around the house. I think my first attempt will be with a piece of scrap 4x4 pine. Once I learn what not to do, I'll try a nice piece of that Redwood Larry sent me.

I turned a "lidded funnel" today on my first box attempt. Cut too much off when finalizing the outside, bottom shape.

My second box got really short after a bad snag near the bottom of the base but at least it is a box and complete.

Both pine and redwood will be challenging to make boxes since you have to do quite a bit of "jam-chucking" and there isn't much softer than redwood so you might bruise your final-turned box. But then, my failure was redwood and you can only just barely see the bruises. :biggrin:

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
Are we bringing lathes to this event? I will definitely bring the burner, tips and cords. I am working on a box and some other things. At the moment I am in Illinois, right outside of Chicago to the west and it has been snowing off and on. A large oak crashed last night, not sure it will fit in my carry on or in checked bag-too bad.

You can certainly bring your lathes if you want to. But reading through the thread I don't see any planned projects that would need them.

Any one want to step up to demo something for our next-meeting's challenge?

GK

ldubia

You can certainly bring your lathes if you want to. But reading through the thread I don't see any planned projects that would need them.

Any one want to step up to demo something for our next-meeting's challenge?

GK

I can demo making sawdust out of fine wood.

Seriously though, that is an excellent idea. We can plan for a demo by a member at times to show and tell how that person is doing something. We can all watch, takes notes or whatever, then provide feedback. There are a lot of things we all want to learn about. So for example, Cindy brings her burning supplies and demos the use of them on a project she is doing. We would all listen and give feedback on the process to refine our understanding (much like the last meeting). I wouldn't mind seeing a demo of Art's pepper mills. I am planning some soon. I am working on a different project that I may be able to demo in a future meeting after if I get things worked out. Of course the demo would not have to be every meeting. But this wold be a good growth opportunity.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Last edited:

Dave_M

Just as an FYI... My shop consists of the following toolage.
Jet 1014 and Jet 1236 lathes.
PSI baracuda pimp chuck with the various jaws.
Several drive centers & live centers.
Thompson 3/8" bowl gouge & spindle gouge.
Sorby full size multi tip scraper.
Woodchuck Pen Pro & Bowl Pro
Sorby pen turning set: spindle gouge, skew, 1/6" parting tool.
I might pick up a Sorby hollowing tool in the next week or so.
Grizzly 14" bandsaw - no riser yet. 3/8" 6tpi bimetal blade.
Bosch TS3000 gravity rise table saw with a 80 tooth Freud thin kerf blade.
Jet floor standing drill press.
Craftsman 6hp 30gal air compressor.
Slow speed grinder with Wolverine sharpening jig.
Drill Doctor 750 drill bit sharpener.
Two large roll around tool boxes full of hand tools.
There's plenty more including my sanders, router, rotozip, dremel and so on but that's the meat of it all.

I'm in the middle of transforming my HF dust collector into a two stage unit. My kids are on Easter break so that's our project together for the coming week. Building a Thien baffle separator. I also want to add a Wynn .5 micron nanofiber media filter.

Top Bottom