June 11th food & schedule info

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dave_M

Hi all,
Looking forward to tomorrow's meet. Weather is looking great @ 84 & breezy.

I'll be providing sandwich fixings. I'll have a variety of breads, meats, cheeses, veggies and the usual condiments available. I should also have plenty of bottled / filtered water & ice.

Larry is bringing sodas.

Greg is bringing the potato & mac salad.

I'll start setting up around 10:00 (probably earlier) so feel free to show up when it works for you.

Ken is helping me out with providing tables. If anyone has a chair to bring along, that might be a good idea. I have a few and I think Ken said he has a couple spares. Better to have extra than not enough.

I believe Cindy is bringing her burning tools, which I'm looking forward to seeing. I'd love to see what can be done. I'd also like to know if anyone here has used any of the texturing turning tools. They look interesting.

After turning the lidded box I've discovered that having more than one chuck in the shop can be a good thing. I have a PSI Barracuda, which has worked well, but I'm thinking about getting a SN 2 for my second. For those who have tried the various chucks, maybe we can discuss why you chose your goto chuck. I'm still on the fence with the vacuum chuck.

Thank you everyone,
Dave

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Dave,

I have 10 folding chairs and a couple of tables that I will bring. I will also bring a spinach salad. If you need anything else let me know.

Ken

ldubia

I'll bring the vacuum chuck stuff so we can see/discuss.

I had a request to bring my Trend Airsheild Pro and I will also bring my texturing tools.

I do have some wood for sale. Not a lot but some.

I have diet pepsi, 7-Up, Rootbeer, and will get some Dr Pepper for Greg.

Any birthdays for the last two months? We hadn't discussed that one. If there are, I will bring a cake.

nava1uni

:frown:Hey guys. I am sorry but I am not going to be able to come tomorrow.:frown:
My youngest daughter applied for a one month program on climate control in Bangladesh in December. The State Department is sponsoring this group and she applied in April. She got an email this afternoon saying that she is a semi-finalist and there is a meeting tomorrow here in the City. It requires both parents to be present for the presentation and the final interviews. So I need to stay in town for the meeting. If she is chosen it is an all expense paid month long trip to Bangladesh with 29 other students from the US. Then working on a project around climate change and environmental issues.
I was looking forward to getting together. I made an Olive lidded box with a fitted lid and a small bowl and a tiny lidded box out of East Indian Rosewood. I wanted to show you them and to show what you can do with pyrography.
I will just have to wait until next time. I hope that you all have a good time.

Last edited:

angboy

OK, I'll bring paper plates and utensils and cups, and if I see anything snack-ish at the store that looks good when I go to buy those things, I'll grab it!

ldubia

We will miss you Cindy. Best of luck for your daughter. That would be a wonderful trip to do. What an opportunity. See you next time around. Post some oics of your projects so we can see them.

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
I'm sorry you couldn't attend, Cindy. But I hope your daughter got selected.

We should all post pictures of our stuff so those who couldn't attend can see what was brought. I'll take pictures of mine tomorrow.

angboy

Thanks so much to Dave and his wife for being such great hosts. It was a small gathering, but still a lot of fun, and much knowledge was shared... I've already put together measurements for the sand box I'm going to copy of Dave's to give my lathe some added weight, so maybe then I can turn some bigger pieces. It was perfect weather for having a gathering, and I'm envious of Dave's garage which is ideal for such an event, and also super, super clean! (I thought I had a clean shop, but wow, was I impressed with the cleanliness of Dave's, even though he dubbed it not so clean.) I know I've been kinda bad about taking on the challenges, but if it's not too hot, I may even try to do an egg- if not, maybe I'll just bring deviled eggs to the next meeting.

Deviled eggs - I love it Angela. You beat me to it. I guess if mine flies off the lathe it will become an omelet.

It was a nice meeting. Can't wait for the next one. Cindy, good luck to your daughter.
Thanks everyone.
Ken

Dave_M

I'm glad to finally host an event and we couldn't have picked a better day. The weather was great. I owe Ken a big thank you for providing the tables & chairs. Also a big thank you to my wonderful wife for taking care of the sandwich prep for me.

Now that my garage is cleaner than it has been since last fall, I'm hesitant to turn anything and mess it up again. When all I turned were pens, keeping it spotless was easy. This larger stuff is a different story. I have a friend who is an O.R. nurse and he would always say my garage was cleaner than most O.R. rooms he worked. I think those days are over.

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
It was great good fun! Dave, thanks for having us over and providing the good-eats. Always fun to see someone else's shop. You almost made me want to go out and clean/organize my shop. Almost. :clown:

I really want the recipe for those peanut butter cookies. They were delicious!!

I'll try to post pictures of my "boxes" so those who couldn't make it can see what I did. Others should post up theirs too!

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
I'm glad to finally host an event and we couldn't have picked a better day. The weather was great. I owe Ken a big thank you for providing the tables & chairs. Also a big thank you to my wonderful wife for taking care of the sandwich prep for me.

Now that my garage is cleaner than it has been since last fall, I'm hesitant to turn anything and mess it up again. When all I turned were pens, keeping it spotless was easy. This larger stuff is a different story. I have a friend who is an O.R. nurse and he would always say my garage was cleaner than most O.R. rooms he worked. I think those days are over.

Get the Rockler expanding hose and the vacuum attachment for it. Your dust collector becomes the worlds biggest vacuum and clean up is a breeze.

Top Bottom