Jan 15th Meeting

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

reefboy1

Hi all,

Starting a thread to plan the 15th Jan meeting with you folks. It will be at my home in San Ramon. Please PM me if you plan to attend and I'll send you my address.

Setup will start at 10am and the meeting will go from 11am to ?

We'll have a pot luck lunch so please bring something to the party.

Greg/Larry - any idea of an agenda?

Art

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
Agenda (pulled from other thread)

Here are the things people said they would like to see. We can go after as many as we can but it looks like more than we will have time for.

Photography: I'll bring my photo setup and show how I take a picture of pens. If Bill is coming then I'd love to see how he does it since he used to be a Pro photographer.

Sharpening: We can use Art's Wolverine and we can show how to use that. I'll also bring my Jet Slow Speed so people can see that. Dave Ratto, want to bring your sander and show how you do it?

Round Table: everyone just sitting around asking questions and getting them answered as best we can.

Chucking: We can discuss and show various ways of using the chuck. I'll bring my variety to talk about. Anything specific people want to see?

Stabilizing: what do people really want to know? This is something that would probably end up in the round table as discussion because we don't have tools/time to demo.

Inlay methods: Larry talking, showing, demo'ing (?) techniques he uses to make his gorgeous pens.

Finishing: What do folks want to talk about here?

Any other ideas?

Last few days before the get together we should open up a Poll with all the agenda items and people can vote for what they want so we can prioritize which we do.

ldubia

I agree with Greg. A poll is the best way to finalize the agenda. I am bringing the photo stuff if people want to know about it. Even if we don't cover it in the meeting, some may still have questions.

Sharpening is always important as the tools need to be done frequently.

The round table discussion can be done while we sit around and eat.

Chucking I would always like to know more.

Of course, this is just my 2 cents worth.

nava1uni

It sounds like enough for several meetings. Like the round table idea, sharpening, photos and use of chucks. I have a couple I can bring so that there are more then one for folks to look at or handle.
We should also figure out who brings what kind of food so that we don't just have a lot of brownies. How about sandwiches and salad?

darcisowers

great food idea, Cindy. I was already planning on bringing the brownies.

We'll be there. We can bring an EZ up if we'll be outside (weather permitting, obviously!). Art, Let us know if there's anything else you need us to bring.

ldubia

I can bring some mac salad or something. Maybe some beer bread. Haven't made that in a long time.

Is there anything else needed like a table or anything. I can bring a fold up table. Do we need more than one lathe for chuck demos or whatever?

reefboy1

Hi all,

As I mentioned in the other thread, I'll make Chili.

I have 1 folding table so will most likely need another 1 or 2 in order to display things we make. I also don't have any folding chairs. I do have some lawn chairs.

Art

Kicker

Hi Everyone,

I plan on being there but I am moving into the new house the weekend before. We have been in this house for eleven plus years so who knows what we will find. May find more things to turn....:party:

God Bless,

David

turn4fun

Hi Everyone.. Connie and I will be there for sure. We'll bring something to eat but I don't know what it'll be til I talk with Connie.

I'm not sure but I think I might be the Larry who volunteered to share about some of the inlay methods I've been doing. Thought I might bring a few of the different pens Connie and I made and talk about the planning, methods and materials we used to create those pens and get some discussion going. I'm sure there are others in the group that can add some really good ideas on inlaying. I didn't plan to demo inlaying because that could be pretty time consuming.

I did volunteer to demonstrate a reliable technique I use for putting a nice BLO/CA finish on a pen. I haven't read any mention of it in the previous messages, but if it's something the group wants, I'll be glad to do it. Just let me know.. Larry Rayher

nava1uni

I will bring an extra table and some fold up chairs. Do we need any mini lathes? I can bring a Jet. Let me know. I will bring some lunch meat and cheese. Someone should bring bread and condiments, maybe some chips.
I had a feeling that Darci would bring her famous brownies. Yeah!

reefboy1

Larry,

I think the inlay ideas are great let's add that. I'm not sure if we'll have time for the BLO/CA demo but maybe if we have time...

Cindy, it may be a good idea to bring an extra lathe. I have my Rikon but another can't hurt.

thanks all,

Art

turn4fun

Hi.. We'll bring the bread, condiments and chips as Cindy suggested we still need. In addtition we'll bring 2 or 3 folding chairs. Demo'ing the BLO/CA finish should only take 10 minutes if it's something enuff folks want on the agenda.. Connie and Larry

reefboy1

A CA Finish that only takes 10 minutes? I have to see this :)

It usually takes me more time to apply the finish than everything else combined.

The part I enjoy the most of pen making is turning on the lathe and that only takes 1 minute!

Thanks,

Art

ldubia

A CA Finish that only takes 10 minutes? I have to see this :)

It usually takes me more time to apply the finish than everything else combined.

The part I enjoy the most of pen making is turning on the lathe and that only takes 1 minute!

Thanks,

Art

It takes you a whole minute to turn on your lathe??? :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Do you have to wake up the squirrels and feed them first? :biggrin:

I will bring my table, a couple of chairs and goodies. Does anyone want manzanita or redwood? I will also bring some interesting blanks I have been playing with.

Last edited:

reefboy1

Hi all,

At this point based on the PM's I've received the count is about 7-8 people coming on Saturday. If you haven't PMed me (but still somehow know how to get here) please let me know so that folks can know how much food to bring.

Thanks,

Art

ldubia

I will be there with possible two guests from last meeting. Father and son. I am bringing beer bread and potato salad, a table, a couple of chairs, manzanita, redwood, lots of goodies, and others. :biggrin::biggrin:

Anything else needed?
How many people have large lathes? I am giving up the large pieces of manzanita. Prices are set by you. Don't plan on spending a lot for the wood. I just need to clear out the pile a bit and get some money for tooling, resin, and whatnot.

I will be there, Ryan may be able to come, not sure about him yet. I will bring spinach salad and whatever else I can think of.

Larry, I would love some manzanita pieces.

Is there anything else needed?

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
I will be there with possible two guests from last meeting. Father and son. I am bringing beer bread and potato salad, a table, a couple of chairs, manzanita, redwood, lots of goodies, and others. :biggrin::biggrin:

Anything else needed?
How many people have large lathes? I am giving up the large pieces of manzanita. Prices are set by you. Don't plan on spending a lot for the wood. I just need to clear out the pile a bit and get some money for tooling, resin, and whatnot.

Let's talk!! :biggrin:

reefboy1

Anything else needed?

Let's talk!! :biggrin:

Hey the host of the meeting gets the pick of the litter, right? :)

darcisowers

very excited about the meeting. Have childcare arranged; but sadly, no time to work on any new pens before the meeting (well, maybe I can tomorrow night!). WHY does this always seem to happen to me? :confused: Procrastination is a terrible thing.

But I will be there with brownies.

Any of you that bought the herringbone blanks at the last meeting, please be sure to bring yours if you have turned it. Can't wait to see what they look like finished!!! :wink:

do you need anything else Art? I have a few folding/outdoor chairs I can bring.

Dave_M

Hey guys,
I'm sitting here having a battle with myself over going. I've had a minor setback with my knee surgery that's kept me down longer than expected. As much as I'd like to come up, I'm not sure I can make make the drive. Although my wife has offered to drive me up, I hate to ask that of her.

I'm sitting here with some new to me pen kits,turning materials, and a new lathe and I haven't been able to use any of them. I was hoping to show off my M3 Mokume Gane pen but surprisingly it sold almost as soon as I finished it. If you haven't had a chance to turn that stuff yet, it's worth the expense. That pen bought me a new Jet 1236. I'm hoping to try small bowls this year.

Ken, is there anyway I can meet up with you Friday or early Saturday before you head up? I have a package for Cindy and I'd truly appreciate it if you could take it up with you on Saturday. If you can help me out, PM me where and when and I'll get it over to you. Thanks Ken.

avbill

Just got my work notice-- I'm am not working Saturday the 15th. So I can come to the gathering. Please Email please for the address, That can I bring for food. I see someone is bring potato salad. . Will bring chair too

tbroye

Think I will have to pass again. We are busy passing around a virus or something. LOML has been sick since before Christmas with a cold or something. Then the 3 month old grandson picke RSV and my wife who took care of him a week ago got sick all over again. I am fight something with Zicam and hollding it off or at least not getting as sick. So instead of spreading the fun I will stay home amd try to shake this.

Have fun I miss going to these meetings.

reefboy1

Hi all,

Updated headcount is about 11 or 12. May be a good idea to throw a chair in your trunk just in case.

thanks,

Art

Kicker

Hi Everyone,

I really wanted to make it and get some goodies, however the move has been a real pain in the ars. Oh well, He has control of this and I just need to do it. Hope to see you all real soon.

Kicker

Dave_M

Well thanks to Ken's generosity, I'll be riding up with him. This way I can take my pain meds when needed and leave the driving to someone who can differentiate between the parked cars and those that are actually moving. OK it's not that bad, but I prefer to play it safe and not drive while medicated. See y'all later this AM.

Dave

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
Great meeting today!!

Thank you, Art, for opening your home to us. Food was great and people were even better. Thanks for coming everyone. I had a blast!!

Here are the links that I promised folks:

Online color selection tool: http://colorschemedesigner.com/

Gradient roll: #39 on this page: http://www.phototechinc.com/graduate.htm

And here is a site with good plans for a home-made light tent and lots of sample pictures telling you how he set up the lights: http://www.pbase.com/wlhuber/light_box_light_tent

Was there anything else I owed you all?

Last edited:

nava1uni

Art,
Thank you for opening up your home to all of us. It was nice to see everyone and I learned a lot about a number of things. I am going to try making Larry's box for segmenting and laminating. The information about chucks was very good and I am going to make some jam chucks up and buy a few rolls of tape. Look out bowls, here I come. The round table was neat and very informative. Great brownies Darci. Since turning is a solitary event it is really nice to have and develop a community through our meetings. Hope that the others can come to the next meeting. Hope that it is soon.:star:

atsowers

THANKS ART!

It was a great meeting and great to see everyone again! I might even try to turn a bowl with my new understanding of chucks! (gasp!) :)

--Andy

reefboy1

It was reallly fun seeing all you folks again (last time I was really had no idea what was going on) and chatting about what everybody is working on.

I really learned alot in the photo session - I'll be getting one of those posters for sure.

I have no idea what I'll do with all the huge peices of wood Larry brought - that'll be a topic for the next meeting:) Can't wait!

Art (sad that there weren't any leftover brownies:)

Top Bottom