Happy Holidays to one and all

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ldubia

I know many of you will think this is a bit early, but I was thinking we could have our next meeting in mid January.:biggrin::biggrin: I think it might be time to start considering it.:):cool: We are going to be very busy with the holidays and all and before long, it will be the new year and time will have slipped by.:eek: Then we won't get to thinking about the meeting until February or March.:redface::rolleyes:

And of course what we shall be demoing and subject matter of the meeting, the location.

Just sayin

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
I agree, Larry, we do need to start figuring it out.

Anyone have any thoughts/ideas? I don't mind hosting this time around if no one else wants to.

We have a bunch of new members; what would you all like to see / learn? You can do a search on BBANC to see our previous meetings and get some ideas. Or, anything else you would like to do, we can figure out how to get it demo'd.

GK

ldubia

I'll bring lots of boxes of stuff again!:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

I had a great time giving that stuff to everyone. I know they all had fun opening them and seeing the goodies. I wonder how many of the kits or special blanks got turned.

I am fooling around with Alumilite and wood mixes and whatnot. still trying to figure it out. Having a great time learning about it though. I will have to pick Jays brain to get some hints and whatnot on what to do and not do. :eek::rolleyes:

Ok newbies (or anybody else) :biggrin:...what would you like to see demoed or learn about.

reefboy1

Hi all,

My home is also open as well - but I don't have all the nice tools that Greg does...

A few things that I've been thinking about lately and would like to see covered at some point (in no particular order):

- Sanding and finishing for various projects (not just pens)
- Stabilization/casting
- Chucking techniques.
- Photography

Happy Holidays!

Art

Kicker

Sounds good to me, I am moving into the country and will have lots of room for parking but do not have all of the wisdom and techniques.

Sharpening Tools
Turning Various Projects
Stabilizing

Had a great time last meeting, cant wait till we get together again.

God Bless,

David :)

ldubia

Hi all,

My home is also open as well - but I don't have all the nice tools that Greg does...

A few things that I've been thinking about lately and would like to see covered at some point (in no particular order):

- Sanding and finishing for various projects (not just pens)
- Stabilization/casting
- Chucking techniques.
- Photography

Happy Holidays!

Art

Sounds good to me, I am moving into the country and will have lots of room for parking but do not have all of the wisdom and techniques.

Sharpening Tools
Turning Various Projects
Stabilizing

Had a great time last meeting, cant wait till we get together again.

God Bless,

David :)

Looks like we got some great ideas going. I have a photo tent, some lights, and my camera to show a bit if I can figure it out. :eek::eek::biggrin: It's digital so we can see what the pics look like right away.Also the sharpening is a great topic I think should be covered. This is something all turners need to know and the newbies should get a handle on right away. And of course the different ways of chucking material is a great topic as well. So is there anything else anyone can think of that might be needed? I like these so far. Great thinking.

Dave_M

I'm certainly game if my knee will cooperate by then and I'll be very surprised if it isn't. Along the lines of the photo stuff, I have an app that I've been playing with on my canon 20d. It's a canon specific third party app but what a cool program. It allows me to totally setup the shot and see exactly what I'm going to get before I take the shot and it gives me full control of the camera from the laptop. I also bought a new photo tent that I like. Might be a good day for basic photo gear for turners.

You guys wont believe what I've been doing since the surgery. Heck I can't believe it. I've been selling pens. Lots of pens. Plus I'm taking orders for more as soon as my knee is up to it. I met a guy looking for Christmas gifts and he bought six from me. He liked my work so much that he brought some of his friends by who also like my pens. Those friends have brought more friends and family by to see my work and I keep selling stuff every few days. I'm almost out of what I have in stock. I've been turning pens for about three years and have hardly sold anything over the years. Not that selling is a priority for me but it's somewhat affirming when I do sell a pen now and then. Anyway I'm feeling honored that some people think my craftsmanship is worth their hard earned dollars. I might even be selling my most expensive pen yet tomorrow. I have someone interested in my M3 - Mokume Gane pen.

Everything I've learned about turning I've learned here on IAP and from you all at our chapter meetings. After becoming disabled and unable to work in my field of expertise anymore, this has become a wonderful hobby for me personally. Just want you all to know I really do appreciate all the help and encouragement over the years.

turn4fun

Merry Chrismas and Happy Holidays to All

Connie and I are already looking forward to our next meeting. It'd be nice to have some learning sessions devoted to Pens. I like all the suggestions so far and would like to add one more idea.. that would be on inlaying.. including types and styles of inlays and how to do it. I'd be willing to give a demo of the how I do a BLO/CA finish because it works really well for me. I'd also be glad to share some of the inlay techniques I've done. They aren't nearly as complicated as what the Gisi's do but they do add (in my opinion) a lot in the way of aesthetics to my pens. I'm also interested in what kind of inlays others have done and how they did them.

Regards.. Connie and Larry

P.S. Another meeting thought. Have a discussion Roundtable where everyone could bring a technique, a best practice, a pen, etc. to share that they are proud of, or they feel might be useful to others. This could be anywhere from begining concepts to some of the things our more expert penmakers are doing. It might provoke some interesting discussion and learning.

ldubia

I'm certainly game if my knee will cooperate by then and I'll be very surprised if it isn't. Along the lines of the photo stuff, I have an app that I've been playing with on my canon 20d. It's a canon specific third party app but what a cool program. It allows me to totally setup the shot and see exactly what I'm going to get before I take the shot and it gives me full control of the camera from the laptop. I also bought a new photo tent that I like. Might be a good day for basic photo gear for turners.

You guys wont believe what I've been doing since the surgery. Heck I can't believe it. I've been selling pens. Lots of pens. Plus I'm taking orders for more as soon as my knee is up to it. I met a guy looking for Christmas gifts and he bought six from me. He liked my work so much that he brought some of his friends by who also like my pens. Those friends have brought more friends and family by to see my work and I keep selling stuff every few days. I'm almost out of what I have in stock. I've been turning pens for about three years and have hardly sold anything over the years. Not that selling is a priority for me but it's somewhat affirming when I do sell a pen now and then. Anyway I'm feeling honored that some people think my craftsmanship is worth their hard earned dollars. I might even be selling my most expensive pen yet tomorrow. I have someone interested in my M3 - Mokume Gane pen.

Everything I've learned about turning I've learned here on IAP and from you all at our chapter meetings. After becoming disabled and unable to work in my field of expertise anymore, this has become a wonderful hobby for me personally. Just want you all to know I really do appreciate all the help and encouragement over the years.

Wow! That is great Dave. Congratulations. I hope your knee cooperates and allows you to get back into the shop even if on a limited schedule. Some time at the lathe is definitely better than no time at it. You are having the experience that I hope to get one day. Like you, my pens have not sold real well to date (although the bowls and other things have been doing real well) and I keep hoping that will change.

I am also learning a lot from our group and the IAP in general. I see things I have not tried being done by others and it inspires me to try it. In some cases, I have been successful others not yet. The point is I find a lot of really helpful people ad information here. It is a very inspiring group.

I had an app that did something like that for the Nikon D300. It was really cool. It allowed total control over the camera. The coolest thing was it allowed control through a USB port. No special plugs to buy or anything.

I am bringing my photo tent, a couple of lights (no stands yet. They are mounted on a rod), the camera, and my tripod. I am also going to bring the small digital Sony.

I also like the round-table discussion idea. I am really looking forward to the next meeting. There is going to be lots to learn and see I think.

reefboy1

As I mentioned, we're welcome to have it at my place in San Ramon. I'm just not available the weekend of 1/22 but I think the other weekends are free.

darcisowers

let's get this on the calendar. I've gotta plan Emily's 2nd birthday party (for some weekend in Jan, which is going to be "late" as she was born on Christmas!!). So far, my calendar is wide open. I'm up for going to Art's (or Greg's or wherever!!)

I love the photography suggestion (I'm still trying to figure it out myself!) and the round table idea is great. hmmm.... not sure what to bring there...and don't forget the FOOD. I'll bring the brownies.

:biggrin:
Darci

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
So let's book Saturday Jan 15th, 2011 with a fall-back of Sunday Jan 16th if that works better for more people.

Sound good?

GK

let's get this on the calendar. I've gotta plan Emily's 2nd birthday party (for some weekend in Jan, which is going to be "late" as she was born on Christmas!!). So far, my calendar is wide open. I'm up for going to Art's (or Greg's or wherever!!)

I love the photography suggestion (I'm still trying to figure it out myself!) and the round table idea is great. hmmm.... not sure what to bring there...and don't forget the FOOD. I'll bring the brownies.

Darci

Kicker

As of now that works for me, I will put it down on my calendar as soon as there is confirmation.

Thanks,

David :wink:

ldubia

So let's book Saturday Jan 15th, 2011 with a fall-back of Sunday Jan 16th if that works better for more people.

Sound good?

GK

Darci

I am up for somewhere (not over the rainbow). That weekend sounds good to me. Is there a menu going or just bring something? I will bring my photo stuff and "goodies" for the newbies.

nava1uni

I will put the 15th on my calendar. I like the idea of photography, inlaying and the round table sounds good. I always learn something, no matter whatever the topic.

Kicker

I will put this on my calendar, hopefully we can also add sharpening and possibly stabilization?

God Bless,

David

Dave_M

Hey Guys,
I just picked up a new Jet 1236 lathe. I'll more than likely sell my Jet 1014vsi with the "handcrafted" stand made from an old Workmate 300 for $300.00. If you know someone who would be interested let me know and I can bring it with me to the meeting. I bought the 1014vsi three years ago and it runs just as strong today.

I've been wanting to upgrade to a larger lathe so I can try turning larger pieces. Hopefully I'll like the 1236 as much as the 1014. That 1014 has been a great lathe. I might hang on to the 1014 but not sure I can really justify it. My garage is already bulging at the seems and my wife is becoming more vocal about it.

ldubia

Hey Guys,
I just picked up a new Jet 1236 lathe. I'll more than likely sell my Jet 1014vsi with the "handcrafted" stand made from an old Workmate 300 for $300.00. If you know someone who would be interested let me know and I can bring it with me to the meeting. I bought the 1014vsi three years ago and it runs just as strong today.

I may know someone who is interested in starting turning if yo9u actually let it go. Personally I wold hang on to it to make it a dedicated pen lathe and/or buffing station. That is what mine is going to be for.:biggrin:

Dave_M

Yeah you're probably right Larry. I think I'll try to hold on to the 1014. I was going to sell it to help pay for the 1236 but I have plenty of other things I can try to liquidate. Plus i have more pen orders to be delivered next month. The 1014 is really a great lathe and it is my first lathe so I'd like to hang on to it if I can. A dedicated buffing station would be nice.

I've been trying to preserve my side of the garage as part shop part garage and it's just getting progressively difficult. I hate to keep my truck parked outside but I think I'm fighting a losing battle and the shop is going to win. That won't make my wife too happy but I think she too is slowly becoming resigned to the inevitable. Resistance is futile.

Re: the meeting... have we decided where or am I just too medicated and missed that somewhere? One thing I would like to hear input on is handling customer custom orders vs. customers choosing from stock on hand. How do you handle payment? Do your custom orders dictate a premium price or is the price the same whether it's an in stock item or custom build. Do you require a deposit? What's the typical warranty look like and has anyone ever had an issue with honoring the warranty. I would imagine getting as much transaction detail in writing is important when selling our items. I've been doing more selling recently and I'm starting to see potential for customer issues because I'm not writing everything down. I need to get better at spelling out the details in writing or one day I'm going to hear "That's not what I asked you to do".

Anyways, just some rambling off the top of my head since I'm already up and running. Actually I've been up most of the night. Hard time sleeping when my leg aches like this. I ended up assembling my new Jet 1236. Interesting piece of hardware. I read a lot of mixed reviews on the 1236 so I was a bit hesitant. I almost went the Harbor Freight clone route but I'm glad I went with the Jet and I think I'm realy going to like this lathe.

Thanks all,
Dave

Hey Guys,

I may know someone who is interested in starting turning if yo9u actually let it go. Personally I wold hang on to it to make it a dedicated pen lathe and/or buffing station. That is what mine is going to be for.:biggrin:

ldubia

Re: the meeting... have we decided where or am I just too medicated and missed that somewhere? One thing I would like to hear input on is handling customer custom orders vs. customers choosing from stock on hand. How do you handle payment? Do your custom orders dictate a premium price or is the price the same whether it's an in stock item or custom build. Do you require a deposit? What's the typical warranty look like and has anyone ever had an issue with honoring the warranty. I would imagine getting as much transaction detail in writing is important when selling our items. I've been doing more selling recently and I'm starting to see potential for customer issues because I'm not writing everything down. I need to get better at spelling out the details in writing or one day I'm going to hear "That's not what I asked you to do".

The meeting is going to take place in San Ramon at Reef1's home. He volunteered right up front. Must be the medication. :eek::biggrin:

Custom orders ALWAYS (IMHO) have a 50% deposit to cover expenses whether it is a stock in hand or not. That way if they back out you are not losing anything. Getting things in writing is a great idea. I do that and have them choose the pen style, plating, material to be used and any details they want. After writing this all down have them go through it to make sure it is correct and sign and date it. I have this done on an order form and have indicated the deposit is non-refundable. I have not had any problems so far with that.

Warranties are good, but again, should be in writing spelling out the length and details of the warranty. How long, what EXACTLY is covered, what you will do for them in the unlikely event of failure, etc. I have not done this but should. I have had only one pen come back due to the plating flaking off. I refunded their money promptly which then generated a new order for three more pens in a different plating.

My rule is be thoroughly fair but not a patsy.

Sorry for the rambling.:rolleyes:

Top Bottom