Group Collaboration - Page 3 - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Welcome to penturners.org! > Local Chapters > Northern/Central California
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2009, 10:24 AM   #21 (permalink)

Photos: 2

Greg,

Wonderful post. Thanks for your thoughts! I really like what you've come up with, and I think the "native" versus "granola" (without the flakes) decision should rest with what woods look good together - maybe at the meeting we can lay them out and make a decision...?

I also concur with your thoughts on making a larger, 2-part pen. If they will suffice, I have a couple of Jr. Statesmen and Jr. Gents kits, but no full-size kits. I have no problem chipping in for a group collaboration kit, we can pass the hat at the mtg, but just typing this sentence has raised a question in my mind - who gets the pen when it's done? I'm thinking donating it would resolve a lot of potential fights.

daniel

gomeral is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 01-31-2009, 11:42 AM   #22 (permalink)

Photos: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomeral View Post

but just typing this sentence has raised a question in my mind - who gets the pen when it's done? I'm thinking donating it would resolve a lot of potential fights.

daniel
Since we have a couple of Type-1 Diabetics in the group how about we auction it off to raise funds for the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation? We could stick it on Ebay with a long auction and then advertise it around.

Thoughts?
GK
____
gketell is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 01-31-2009, 02:09 PM   #23 (permalink)

Photos: 0

Great ideas. Personally, I like the segmented columns with veneer in between. That's easy for me to say since it is way over my skill level. I do agree with the large 2 piece kit. I have a couple of Havana kits and a couple of full size gent. I would be happy to donate one of those for the pen since I don't have much in the way of wood.

I fully agree with the auction and donation to whatever cause people want. My wife is a school nurse and deals with diabetic kids, so that is great with me.

Ken
kenlicciardello is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Advertisement
Old 01-31-2009, 06:30 PM   #24 (permalink)

Daniel, we can't look at woods at the meeting because the meeting is scheduled for AFTER the pen is due.

If we have some ideas we could certainly get pictures of the woods and post them.
GK
Old 01-31-2009, 08:21 PM   #25 (permalink)

Photos: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by gketell View Post
Daniel, we can't look at woods at the meeting because the meeting is scheduled for AFTER the pen is due.
DOH!

I knew that...

gomeral is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 01-31-2009, 10:55 PM   #26 (permalink)

Photos: 35

I like the brick shape and think the veneer type assembly would add some amazing colour contrast. kind of a tye-dye look.
I'm all for the auction and donation to the diabetes org.
I don't have any large kits, trying to save up my $$$$ to buy a couple.
my work situation has changed, and I'm trying to adjust to the new schedule of working 40+ hours a week again. my time is limited.
Greg and Jay, you guys are awesome and have put together some great ideas. THANKS.
let me know what you need me to help with and I'll make time for this great cause.
markgum is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 01-31-2009, 10:57 PM   #27 (permalink)

Photos: 35

ooooo I just saw that the so cal group is submitting an entry....
markgum is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 02-01-2009, 06:46 PM   #28 (permalink)

Photos: 18

I like the idea of segmented woods. I also like the idea of fruits and nuts, sort of like the group. ... I can only speak for myself. Let me know if you need any wood.
Old 02-03-2009, 11:52 AM   #29 (permalink)

Hmmmm things are moving slowly and I'm starting to get nervous about getting it done in time.

So far everyone agrees on segmented with veneer so the I think the "Ginsu" is out. We have one vote for columns and one vote for bricks. Any other votes?

If you have woods listed in the list above, feel free to get a blank or two to me or Jay and we will use them in the assembly. You can email me for my address or drop them buy WoodCraft for Jay or I to pick up. What ever is easier.

If anyone would like to come and make a mini-get-together to actually make the blank that would be a fun way to get more people involved.

Ken, I think the full size Gent would be the way to go for this (especially if it is a Fountain Pen). I think the Havana has more "kit" and less blank which isn't what we want here. Thank you for your most generous offer!! Now, where do we send it?

Who's up for turning this bad boy?

Who's our finisher?

Any one willing/able to make a box?

As for photography, as I said, I'm happy to do it but I will have already done parts of the pen and we do have pro photographers in the group. Anyone else want to do it to spread the joy and increase the diameter of the collaboration?

GK
Old 02-03-2009, 04:19 PM   #30 (permalink)

Photos: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by gketell View Post
Anyone else want to do it to spread the joy and increase the diameter of the collaboration?
GK

Greg,
I wish I was up and around better as it would be fun to help out on this, I guess maybe next time.
Nolan

Nolan is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads