The First Meeting

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JayDevin

Ok Gang

I just got off the Phone with Mike Cunningham, the owner of the Dublin Woodcraft.

We Have use of the Classroom on SUNDAY 5 October. From 12pm to 4pm.
This is be an informal Meeting. Now lets Plan on some simple activites for this one,
A full scale bubbas ville is down the road. chime in with Ideas for demos, topics etc.

My Suggestions is that we have a show and tell, and perhaps a wood swap.

Our central Valley folks could carpool and the Sacto/reno folks could too!

the Address is 6044 Dougherty Road Dublin.

I Look forward to seeing you all!

Jay:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
Wife? Wife?? Those of us who attended the last BBville with you obviously missed something fun in the intervening months. Congrats!!!

I look forward to this BBville-Jr. It should be fun.

I think a "Show off" and "wood trade" would be good. I offer up (again) the "down and dirty how to get good photos of pens" session. We can go as deep as folks want (we could easily take 4 days rather than 4 hours) but at the shallowest I can give a "recipe" of what to do to get a good picture of your pen and that should only be an hour or so.

GK

markgum

Awesome. I will strive to be there. I like the how to get good photos info-session. Should we bring our cameras??

tbroye

Marked the date. Anybody from Sacto want to carpool? LOML's Expedition hold 8. Hopefully Gas Prices will stay down and the econmy does't fall apart.

JayDevin

Ryan,
Food for the most part will be o n your own, if folks want to bring goodies like cookies etc that is cool. just tryin to keep this one simple!

Daniel

Tom, E-mail me on the car pool thing. Jay messaged me earlier about being there and I was assuming it was on a Thursday. Being a Sunday make it far more likely I can be there. the earlier hours work real good for me as well. I have a bit of an issue on reliable transportation from Reno to Sacramento but should not have a real hard time solving that. I think the Photo thing is a great idea. I can bring my camera and light set up stuff. I have a real small set up. I also have a lap top so people can see what difference things make. Actually I have several lap tops if needed, but my kids won't be talking to me if I take all three, lol. maybe some hands on time where members can actually see the changes lighting, position, background color etc have. You can learn a whole lot more in less time with hands on shtuff.
I'm really looking forward to meeting the lot of you. Gotta go sort thorugh my collection to pick out my show and tell items.
My wife is most likely coming as well, she said she doesn't trust me with a bunch of other penturners loose in a woodworking store for 4 hours. Knowing me I'll leave home in a pick up and return with a Semi.

SamThePenMan

The idea that there would be cookies at this meeting makes me with I wasn't on the other side of the country lol, and the "down and dirty how to get good photos of pens" session sounds like it would be fun too, photography is one of my other hobbies. :) I'll just have to wait until I have time/gas money to make it to a meeting on my side of the country I guess. :)

rb765

This would have to come during the only time of year that I cannot take off without a replacement at work. :(

Hopefully I will make the second meeting.

Sorry guys, I'm not going to be able to make the meeting. SWMBO and I are going to be in Vegas that weekend and getting home just as the meeting will be letting out.

The upside is: While she and her friend are at the Cher concert, I'll have free roam of all the bars and tables in Caesar's Palace! :eek: :biggrin:

RMB

I just made a connection that should get me some California olive wood for a pen (and 4 hours driving). Mostly smaller peices though, probably up to 6" Diameter, no trunks or burl probably. Anyboby interested in trading for some of it? I also will have available a couple dozen Apricot Root blanks, haven't turned a pen from it yet, but I've done two candlesticks and a bowl, and it's got some great figure and beautiful red and orangeish color.

RMB

Wood (all types and sizes), kits, old tools, whatever, Mark.

Hey, there's an idea, people could bring their old unwanted tools and instructional DVDs to share with newer turners.

RMB

I made a centering vise today, using a handscrew kit from Grizzly. I'll bring that to show. If anybody has a storebought centering vise, or the PHD vise I've heard so much about, I'd appreciate seeing those for comparison. Mine is a fairly rough prototype at the moment, but seems to work well.

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
I'll try to remember to bring my PHD vise. If I forget, I only live 15 minutes from WoodCraft so I can run to get it.

GK

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
EX: someone who is washed up
SPURT: drip under pressure
EXPERT: washed up drip under pressure

Who you calling "expert", Jay?!?!
At most I'm an advanced hobbyist. :biggrin:

Nolan

Do I need to bring a selection for folks to pick from?? I dont want to load up the truck if there isnt any interest. Please let me know what you guys and gals think.

Daniel

Hey just an off topic note. Harbor Freight is having a sidewalk sale today,. I noticed they have there 6" cross slide vice on sale for around $45.00. This is what I use on my drill press for drilling blanks. I paid $60.00 for mine several years ago. Warning you need a floor standing drill press to be able to loser the table enough for this vice it is huge.

Top Bottom