Eggs

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ldubia

To show that I have been busy, I have made now five eggs. three are small, one is ostrich sized, and the third is Pterodactyl or something. I just finished the fifth (extra large) and have not taken a pic yet. The others are shown.

These ar the redwood egg with no finish on it.
redwood burl egg-1.jpg Redwood burl egg-2.jpg Redwood burl egg-3.jpg Redwood burl egg-4.jpg

This is te Bay egg, light finish to hold the punky wood.
Bay egg-1.jpg Bay egg-2.jpg Bay egg-3.jpg

Third set are the Eucalptus eggs, also no finish.
Wooden eggs.jpg
All the eggs have been buffed but finished on only one.

Sorry for the crummy pics.

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

robutacion

To show that I have been busy, I have made now five eggs. three are small, one is ostrich sized, and the third is Pterodactyl or something. I just finished the fifth (extra large) and have not taken a pic yet. The others are shown.

G'day ldubia,

Nice eggs you've got there, beautiful woods and shape..!:wink:

I wonder, do you use a jig to make a easier job to make eggs or not...???

I'm asking this because, I make eggs all the time, by the hundreds and I would be lost without my jig that is easy and cheap to built, it makes making eggs a breeze...!!!:biggrin:

Let me know, or have a look at my web site (address on signature bellow) and look on the main'home page on the left end side for the title, egg making...!

Eggs, anyone...???

PS: Long time ago I open a thread about wooden eggs on this forum, have a look...!!!:wink:http://www.woodworkforums.com/f8/wooden-eggs-secret-80408/, the principle still apply today...!:eek::biggrin:

Cheers
George

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
That is a cool jig. I was thinking about building something to do just that but that sure is an easy way to get there. Especially since I already have several different sizes of those pipe repair tubes!

Thanks for sharing!

GK

G'day ldubia,

Nice eggs you've got there, beautiful woods and shape..!:wink:

I wonder, do you use a jig to make a easier job to make eggs or not...???

I'm asking this because, I make eggs all the time, by the hundreds and I would be lost without my jig that is easy and cheap to built, it makes making eggs a breeze...!!!:biggrin:

Let me know, or have a look at my web site (address on signature bellow) and look on the main'home page on the left end side for the title, egg making...!

Eggs, anyone...???

PS: Long time ago I open a thread about wooden eggs on this forum, have a look...!!!:wink:http://www.woodworkforums.com/f8/wooden-eggs-secret-80408/, the principle still apply today...!:eek::biggrin:

Cheers
George

ldubia

Thanks for the comments. I know I am supposed t be using a skew to do this and learning the control, but I have not managed to keep it from catching and ruining the shape. A bowl gouge works very well. I will continue to work on the skill.

robutacion

Thanks for the comments. I know I am supposed t be using a skew to do this and learning the control, but I have not managed to keep it from catching and ruining the shape. A bowl gouge works very well. I will continue to work on the skill.

Actually ldubia, the easiest and most effective tool to use to make wooden eggs is the Bedan, identical principal to the skew, as to where the cutting edge should be in relation the the center (top part), making the tool rest elevation a must, depending of the tool shaft thickness of your cutting tool but, the very point of contact between the tool cutting edge and the wood has to the the very top of the spinning piece...!

Bedan type gouge pic attached, the second pic show the correct position of the cutting edge on the wood surface...!

Attachments

• New tools and handles made 22-15-08 008_(1).jpg
    New tools and handles made 22-15-08 008_(1).jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 167
  • New tools and handles made 22-15-08 009_(1).jpg
    New tools and handles made 22-15-08 009_(1).jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 191

ldubia

Cindy came by this afternoon for a turn on the bigger lathe. She made her very first egg and left with a huge smile. :cool: Unfortunately she left behind her tools and her face shield so I will have to go see her tomorrow. Darn. :eek::biggrin:

Cindy and her first Egg.jpg Cindys egg.jpg

nava1uni

Making eggs at Larry's was fun. His new lathe is very nice, especially the adjustable variable speed. I only left my tools so that he could come by and see my shop. LOL.
It was nice making the egg, no jig, just my tools.
Greg, you are right, now I am going to have to make a dozen or so to get the hang of it.

Top Bottom