Cindy need some info

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

tbroye

Cindy

What was the name of that plastic packing material you told us about at the meeting? I used some to do CA and CA/BLO finishes and wow does it work nice. I ended up with the best finishes I have ever had. I haven't turned any pens since the meeting due to Tendonitist of the Rotator Cup/cuff, my shoulder hurt. so I been trying to take easy finially went to the doctor. She said don't play so much Wii with grandkids. I want to get some of that stuff where might I find some? UPS Store?

Thanks

Tom

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

nava1uni

Tom,
I got it at the Post Office store. It is the finely packed kind, not the bubble. It cost about $3.00 and you'll probably have enough for the rest of your life. Take it easy with your shoulder, don't push it. I am turning again, but can only do it for a little bit or my finger swells and then hurts.

altaciii

Cindy

What was the name of that plastic packing material you told us about at the meeting? I used some to do CA and CA/BLO finishes and wow does it work nice. I ended up with the best finishes I have ever had. I haven't turned any pens since the meeting due to Tendonitist of the Rotator Cup/cuff, my shoulder hurt. so I been trying to take easy finially went to the doctor. She said don't play so much Wii with grandkids. I want to get some of that stuff where might I find some? UPS Store?

Thanks

Tom

what packing material is it at the postal store and how do you use it for a finish on a pen?

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
It is called "Poly Foam". It is the real thin, real smooth foam wrap for protecting your shipping items from scratches. You use it to apply your finish (instead of paper towels or plastic baggies) and it gives you a very nice, smooth finish.

GK

tbroye

I found using it, really improved my CA finish. The thing that is nice is that the CA doesn't soak through the material on to your finger. You don't go through as much material as you would with paper towels. I still sand with 600 grit between coats but that's just me. One more thing on this, because it doesn't soak in to the material, you don't use as much CA.

Last edited:

nava1uni

I use it and it works really well. I like how little CA I use. I find that I can use one piece several times. Just don't let it stay in one place too long. Keep it moving and then it works great.

RMB

Sweet, I think I have a ton of that, if it's what I think it is. We get our cabinet doors covered in a very thin, grey, bubbley material, so I have sheets probably 4'x4' around the shop all the time. I'll try it, and if I can remember, I could bring some to the next meet if anybody wants it.

RMB

I tried it yesterday. Didn't work too well for me. Bits of it came off and stuck in the CA. Had to sand it back down and use the papertowel.

Oh, btw my centering vise broke.... I drilled about 100 blanks with it, working perfectly. Being able to drill one handed allowed me to keep a stream of compressed air on the hole while drilling, which helps eject the chips, and keeps things a lot cooler, and keeps a pile of chips from building up and fouling the jaws. I also took that stupid little knob off and attached a cordless drill to open and close it, making it a lot faster... which was probably what broke it. I'll have to design a better one and make it out of metal next time.

and I just remembered I never got you the dimensions on that, Cindy. But really, your guess is as good as mine!

nava1uni

Ryan,
I think then that the stuff that comes on the cabinets must not be the same as what I buy at the Post office. PM your address and I will send you a few pieces to try.

Top Bottom