Bump...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

gomeral

Well, I noticed that the last post was about a month ago, so I'm bumping the entire forum to see who is out there. I know Dave's in Clovis (thanks for the welcome!), anyone else in the Fresno area? As much as I'd LOVE to get up to the Woodcraft for a monthly meeting, it's not going to happen during the week, and it may not happen on the weekends - my wife and I are expecting sometime in the next month or so! :biggrin:

Anyway, just saying hi to everyone and hoping to get to know my fellow locals...

daniel

P.S. If anyone on here was at Ideal Saw Works this past Saturday, let me know! I harassed at least one or two other folks looking at pen stuff... :tongue:

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

RMB

I grew up in Fresburg, and my wife and I live in Morgan Hill now, but we're still down there almost once a month anyways. I haven't heard of Ideal Saw Works, are they in Fresno? Hope you can make it to one of the meetings sometime, they're great. Anybody know when the next one is? Is this a biannual thing? Not much going on in this forum recently.

Dave_M

Not I. I get most of my supplies from Arizona Silhouette or CSUSA. I do get down to Ideal Saw Works now and then for odds & ends but not too often. Good people working there.

Congratulations on the soon to be family addition.

markgum

Hi
well.. maybe we should have a shin-ding in the Fresno/Clovis area?? Of course with the fog as thick as it is right now, I can't even see across the street.

gomeral

To address a couple of things:

1. Ideal Saw Works is in what I (a new-to-the-area outsider) call "the downtown area." It is just south(east) of 41 at the O Street exit. I only recently discovered it through the Rockler web site, as they are an affiliated distributor. The folks were friendly and helpful, but alas, my desires are apparently unusual, and several items I wanted (111" band saw blade, Delta 'security key' for drill press power switch, 3/4" rare earth magnets) were not in stock. To be fair, they said they could likely get or make all in a matter of days.
  2. Yeah, what's with this fog? When we looked at moving out here, I read that the Fresno area gets something like 10" of rain a year (less than 20% of 2008 rainfall back in St. Louis), so we were expecting dry. We didn't realize that Fresno gets so much moisture, just that so little of it hits the ground. :tongue: (We love it here, though!)
  3. I second the idea of a local shindig, even if it's not "official". I might even volunteer to host, as I live in an apartment complex with a clubhouse and I could even volunteer my gara...er, workshop if people wanted to demonstrate or show off stuff. It's nothing grand, but it's space...
Anyway, greetings to all, hope we can get together sometime.

daniel

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
Hey I would drive that way if you guys held one! Can't remember that I've ever been to Fresno so, what the heck, why not. Just pick a clear day. :)

JayDevin

and I will Ride with Greg.

I am Looking at the Classroom Sked at Woodcraft. We need to figure out how often we want to meet.
I never got a reply Re the Kalashan woods Free Pen Offer!

I have not posted much as it has been really busy at work!

Dave_M

Welcome to the Tule (pronounced Tooley) fog. One of the few things I don't like about living here. Sometimes we can go weeks on end without seeing the sun. But... there is a solution to this dilemma. Head up the hills and about the 3000 foot mark you will break out into a glorious sunshiny day. I used to work up in Oakhurst and it would be cold & wet down here in the valley but beautiful & sunny and 65 degrees up there. So when the fog starts to get to you, take a short drive up into the hills.

There are a lot of great places to see up in the mountains around here and one of my favorite spots is Hume Lake up in Kings Canyon. If by chance you ride a motorcycle then you've landed in the middle of some of the best motorcycle roads to be found anywhere. Also the central coast is usually great when the weather is not so great here and the central coast is only 2 hours away. Go check out the Monterey & Carmel area. One of the best things about living here is being 2 hours away from everything. Just pick one... Central Coast, Yosemite, Sequoia, Kings Canyon and just a bit over two hours but worth the effort is Sonora.

Daniel, anytime you want info about the area, just let me know. I spend a lot of time with friends riding the roads exploring everything from Bakersfield to Sonora and Santa Barbara to Santa Cruz.

RMB

Cool, another motorcyclist, what are you riding Dave? Looks like some kind of sport cruiser. I'd also be willing to make a trip to Fresno, if it's clear I'll take my bike, otherwise we could arrange a carpool with some of us bay area folks.

markgum

Jay how about we try to meet once a quarter. I like the idea of maybe going to Fresno, or maybe Daniel's up in Reno, or Nolan's shop?? just thinking I know a lot of people are close to Dublin, but heck why not see other people's shop set up.??

just my half cent of thoughts...

and I will Ride with Greg.

I am Looking at the Classroom Sked at Woodcraft. We need to figure out how often we want to meet.
I never got a reply Re the Kalashan woods Free Pen Offer!

I have not posted much as it has been really busy at work!

Dave_M

Jay how about we try to meet once a quarter. I like the idea of maybe going to Fresno, or maybe Daniel's up in Reno, or Nolan's shop?? just thinking I know a lot of people are close to Dublin, but heck why not see other people's shop set up.??

just my half cent of thoughts...

Yeah! Nolan's place. Bring lots of cash. It'll be like a women's trip to the outlet mall for us guys. :biggrin:

Dave_M

Cool, another motorcyclist, what are you riding Dave? Looks like some kind of sport cruiser. I'd also be willing to make a trip to Fresno, if it's clear I'll take my bike, otherwise we could arrange a carpool with some of us bay area folks.

Hey Ryan,
I'm on a Honda ST1300 right now and I'll probably keep this one for a while. Seems to do everything I need. Sporty and still good for the long haul.

nava1uni

I would be willing to go to Fresno. I go to Three Rivers a couple times a year and pass right by Fresno before the cut off for Visalia. It is a long ride. 3+ hours for me from San Francisco, but it could work if it was on a Saturday.

Top Bottom