'bout time for another get together, no?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dave_M

I am always in if my sked permits

Wow, at first glance I thought I read: "I am always in if my meds permit". Man I gotta get my eyes checked. :biggrin:

I have stuff I have to get entered into my calendar so let me see where things land and I'll post up soon.

Thanks Guys,
Dave

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
They work for me too. We have an optional event at 2pm on the 14th but if that is the time/day everyone else picks for the IAP gathering I don't think any of us will miss missing this event. :tongue:

markgum

sounds like a date to me. I'm interested in seeing Greg's VRF set up. I've read the article a few times. but the gray matter isn't clicking on it all yet.

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
I have a 10x10 pop up shade and chairs I can bring.

Alternatively, if we want it "in the middle" again, I will be happy to host. Just let me know!

GK

I am available June 6/7, but have my son's high school graduation the 13th his bbq on the 14th. Available to go anywhere and bring anything.

Is there an agenda yet? A casting or lamination demo would be great for me since I have not ventured into either of those yet.

Ken

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
OK, let's put a stake in it and say June 6th at my place in Pleasanton UNODIR.

We could do a casting demo and a segmenting demo both.

For the casting stuff we should talk about what to cast and how to fund it. Do we want to do Worthless wood blanks? Full alumilite blanks? Swirls? What?

Last time Jay had folks do their own casting and kindly donated the alumilite and PealEx but I don't think it fair he eat that cost each time we do this. The crystal clear is $25/32oz which works out to about $3.15/full-blank not counting shipping and would make 8 blanks.

For the segmentation/lamination, what would you all like to see?

Do we want to try to do anything with photography this time around? Or did folks get enough of that already?

GK

markgum

Kewl, June 6th it is.
I like the idea of doing both. While waiting for the castings to 'cook' a demo on segmenting would be fun.
I agree is shouldn't be on Jay's pocket to teach us about casting. I am all for sending a few dollars Jay's way. A nice round number so we don't have to have a bank would be convenient. hmm worthless wood, swirls,, hmm...
and for the segmentation a detailed inspection of your VRF IS necessary.
should we bring food to share?
Nolan, you going to be able to make it??
wood to trade?
latest turnings to show and tell?
if carpooling is needed/desired let us know.

IT'S GOIN BE A GOOD TIME...

nava1uni

The 6th of June works for me. I agree that we should pay for the cost of the resin, whichever is chosen. I am definitely up for the casting, but I am also interested in how one does segmenting having just recently purchased a table saw. Most of all it will be nice to see folks, share ideas and learn. I look forward to seeing you all, especially since I missed the one in Fresno.

Nolan

Talked with Greg and Jay and may have it at my place. Whats everyone think??? Not as much room but more burl LOL

Kewl, June 6th it is.
I like the idea of doing both. While waiting for the castings to 'cook' a demo on segmenting would be fun.
I agree is shouldn't be on Jay's pocket to teach us about casting. I am all for sending a few dollars Jay's way. A nice round number so we don't have to have a bank would be convenient. hmm worthless wood, swirls,, hmm...
and for the segmentation a detailed inspection of your VRF IS necessary.
should we bring food to share?
Nolan, you going to be able to make it??
wood to trade?
latest turnings to show and tell?
if carpooling is needed/desired let us know.

IT'S GOIN BE A GOOD TIME...

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
I'm game for doing it up there. I could even bring my vacuum rip fence and rig up some samples on how I do the segmenting.

Cindy, Mark, is there some specific design you would like to see done?

GK

June 6 is great. Either place is fine as long as Nolan doesn't mind people drooling over his inventory. I'd be happy to bring anything and contribute to casting material costs.

Any Fresno/Clovis people want to carpool?

Ken

Daniel

Hello folks, This is the first I have seen of this thread. Great to see another get together in the works. Bad news is that with everything going on in my life. I will not be able to make it. I will be with you in thought and desire though.
By the way my vote is for a demo on swirls. once Tom has them down he can hop over the hill and show me how ;)

JayDevin

I will Be happy to Demo the swirls..

those who want to take part, please get some molds of your own. Tap Plastics sees 2 or 3 sizes that work great for pen blanks.

If you want to cast organic material, please make sure that it is dry.

markgum

Even Better at Nolan's place. Must resist and leave wallet at home or .....
for the segmenting, something simple would be nice.

markgum

those who want to take part, please get some molds of your own. Tap Plastics sees 2 or 3 sizes that work great for pen blanks.

hmmm now I need to find a Tap Plastics shoppe.... wonder if they will have a sale over Memorial weekend??? :biggrin:

tbroye

Nolans place would be great. Tap Plastic sell the proper size molds? The is on 1.5 mile from my house. Thank God I get my Retirement check (I hope) on the first.

markgum

Jay;
do you have a part number or something :confused: so when I wander into Tap Plastics and say, I need a mold to make pens they won't call the padded wagon... :tongue:

and for this type of casting do you need a pressure pot?? SWMBO is NOT increasing my allowance.. :frown:

thanks.

Ratto

Sorry to say the I am going to miss another one. I will be out of town on the 6th. Probably for the best as I would drain my bank account at Nolan's place.

Dave

markgum

Dave;
we will be more than happy to pick some out for you. that way you could still drain your bank account. Don't want any stale money laying around in there. :biggrin:

Sorry to say the I am going to miss another one. I will be out of town on the 6th. Probably for the best as I would drain my bank account at Nolan's place.

Dave

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
Here's a question. So far everyone (except Dave) has said both 6th and 7th would work fine. Is there anyone that the 7th wouldn't work for? If not, what do y'all think about moving to the 7th so Dave can come too?

GK

nava1uni

I would be able to do the 7th and Oakdale works also. Nolan can you PM your address so I don't continue on to the old Hershey factory or get lost.?
Jay-thanks for the numbers at Tap Plastics.

markgum

I can make it on the 7th.
Thanks Jay for the part numbers, now need to get there this week.
O, and everyone don't forget to bring your pen door prize from the last meeting.

MCSO5164

Date sounds good to me. Hey Nolan I have a large Pecan burl I am supposed to pick up from a friend. I could bring it along and I would be more than happy to share with everyone if it is worth cutting. I wouldn't know if it was so maybe your expertise would be handy in determining if it is worth it. Terry

Top Bottom