Aug/Sep meeting

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
I was thinking that the aug/sept meeting will be the last meeting before the gift making time of christmas is upon us so it might be a fun time to do a christmas ornament tutorial session. Would that be of interest to folks?

I've made hollow ornaments, inside out ornaments, bells (well, technically, bell), snow men icicles. (Maybe we could talk Don in to doing a tutorial on the inside out ornaments since he is who I learned from.)

I know that we are supposed to move the next meeting around but if we do it here then we can use my two lathes and maybe borrow some from WoodCraft again, and actually get several folks turning at once. And/or folks with smaller/portable lathes might bring them ??

Thoughts? Comments?

GK

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ldubia

Sounds like great fun. I can bring my little lathe if needed.

Let me know if there is anything else needed or whatever.

Larry

nava1uni

This sound great to me. I would like to have hands on while all together. I have a Rikon, don't know how easy to transport, but I would be willing to try. Late August or September would work best for me. I will contribute some wood to this project.

darcisowers

That sounds REALLY FUN. we can bring our lathe too.

I vote for August - our weekends in Sept are already looking full - there's Labor Day weekend and then we're having Andy's folks in town for the next 2 weekends (sadly, they aren't "automatic" childcare options for us....)

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
OK, since those of us with school age kids may not be around early in august (summer break, don't ya know), how about the last Sunday in August (the 29th)? School will have just restarted so we are all back home by then. Keeping it in August also might let us sneak one more in before the end of the year.

ldubia

I am good for that weekend (so far). I too can contribute some wood for the cause. Let me know what is needed and how much.

Hey guys, I'm new here, and live in San Jose. Both my dad and I are pen turners and woodworkers. I'd be interested to meet sometime. Where do you guys usually meet?

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
Welcome Adam (and dad)!!

We try to get together quarterly but it has been working out to happen about every 4 months. We try to rotate the location across our fairly large territory. We've had meetings in Oakdale, Fresno, Dublin, and Pleasanton. Most have ended up at my place in Pleasanton just because it seems to be most "centrally located" and I have a big place. Next meeting will definitely be here and we will be working on Christmas ornament tutorials so folks can go home and make nice presents for friends and family.

And any time you want to get together other than at a "normal" meeting, just post up or PM the people you want to talk to.

We hope to see you soon!
Greg Ketell
NorCal regional "leader"

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
Hi Matthew!

Some of your answer is above in my welcome to Adam. The other part is that you show up at the meeting. We are very informal! You will have to PM the host of that meeting for address, directions, and contact info. We try not to post that sort of stuff to the forum for privacy reasons.

Things that will help you and Adam: you can subscribe to this thread by going into "Thread tools" in the blue bar right above my first post and then choose "subscribe to this thread" (you may have automatically been subscribed when you posted). Additionally, when you are the top level of the NorCal forum you can find the "Forum Tools" menu (in roughly the same place as the thread tools menu) and subscribe to the forum itself; then you will get notified of any new postings to the forum.

We look forward to meeting you at the next meeting, if not sooner.
Greg

savage0809

Hello, I am from Largo , Florida And plan on being in Calf. at My sons home in Upland ,Ca. the first part of Sept. What I would like to know is if there is a turning group near him in Upland Thank you Bill Briggs

turn4fun

Two Newbies.. Connie and Larry

Hi Everyone.. Connie and I are relatively new pen makers from Santa Rosa. We met Cindy Navarro around a month ago in Utah at the Penturner's Rendevous and the Woodturning Symposium being held there. Cindy told us about the Northern CA Chapter of IAP and we're eager to become part of the group. I started turning pens in Dec. of 2008 as Xmas presents for the entire family. I enjoyed it so much I never stopped and have made maybe 200 pens at this point. Earlier this year Connie started making pens and enjoys it as much as me. So far we've mostly turned pens and a few bottlestoppers.

Anyway, we'd like to come to the August 29 meeting and join the group. It sounds like the meeting is in Pleasanton at Greg's home. What time does the meeting start and how do we find Greg's house?

Thanks.. Connie and Larry Rayher (turn4fun)

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
Welcome Connie and Larry!!

Yes, the event will be at my house. I'm thinking we should start it around 10am since I think it will be a busy day turning ornaments. Those who are bringing lathes could come earlier so we can setup and be ready to "go" at 10. Or people show up at 10 and setup is part of the deal. I'm open!

I'll send you a private message with my address.

We look forward to seeing you "soon"!
GK

ldubia

Hi Greg,
Any new news on the meeting date and or time. August is fast approaching (like all good things...Christmas, birthdays, etc.) Is there a date and itinerary or anything set yet? I know the aproximate time. Just wondering.

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
Hi Larry (and everyone else),

I thought we had picked a date but in rereading the thread I guess I did have a '?' in there. So let's carve it in stone: it will be Sunday August 29th at my house starting at 11am (with setup starting at 10am since we will be setting up lathes too) and we will be doing ornament turning tutorials and (hopefully) several lathes so we can all make one or two.

For those that are able to bring lathes and/or tools here is what will be needed to make the ornaments:

• Lathe
  • Chuck with #2 jaws (for hollow ornaments and inside-out ornaments)
  • Chuck with pin jaws (for making finials)
  • Live center with removable pin and (preferably) lockable spindle
  • Small bowl gouge and/or small spindle gouge
  • Detail gouge
  • small hollowing tools (for hollow ornaments)

Consumables we will need

• Sandpaper up to 320
  • deft rattle can sanding sealer
  • deft rattle can spray lacquer
  • Inside out ornament:
    • Four 1"x1"x6" (or bigger) blanks of your choice for the inside out ornament. They need to be SQUARE and the same size.
    • One 1"x1"x6" (or longer) blank for your finials (top and bottom)
  • Hollow ornament:
    • One 2"x2"x2" (or bigger) blank for the ornament
    • One 1"x1"x6" (or longer) blank for your finials (top and bottom)
  • Metal hangers (to make wall thickness feelers)

What I have:

• 2 lathes
  • 2 talon chucks with 1"x8 spindle adapters
    • talon pin jaws
    • talon #2 jaws
  • 2 stronghold chucks with 1-1/4"x8 spindle adapter
    • stronghold #2 jaws
  • a few small bowl gouges
  • one 1/4" spindle gouge
  • one detail gouge
  • two small hollowing tools

If anyone can bring any of the above, that would help. The more lathes we can have going the more fun we can all have. Pop up shelters would help too.

Jay, let me know if I've missed anything.

For the new members, we also usually have a "braggard's" table where you can things you want to show off. Folks also bring stuff they want to trade/sell/give-away and we have a table/pile set up for that. Then there is also lunch.

It should be a blast and I'm really looking forward to it.

Dave_M

Greg, Wow you're good! I was just going to ask what tools would be needed and here it is. Thanks for answering my question... before I asked.

Dave

nava1uni

I will bring my lathe. Someone will have to help me unload it and I will also bring tools and extras so other's can use them.
Greg, thanks for the list. What kind of food do we want to do so that we can all figure out what to bring?

darcisowers

We will bring brownies, a lathe (or 2) and an ez up. :biggrin:

if anyone else has the other items Greg recommends for the ornament turning (mainly the chucks) but isn't bringing their lathe, please bring them. We don't have many "non-pen turning" items yet. :eek:

Top Bottom