Aug 29th meeting

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

darcisowers

I told Greg that I'd send out a reminder email to the group today, so we can start a "who's coming" list and begin coordination of the food. I'm not sure what Greg has up his sleeves for food.... but I do not doubt that it will be great.

Sunday August 29th at Greg's house starting at 11am (with setup starting at 10am since we will be setting up lathes too)

We will be doing ornament turning tutorials and we hope to have several lathes so we can all make one or two.

For those that are able to bring lathes and/or tools here is what will be needed to make the ornaments:
  • Lathe (with some kind of stand to put it on preferable)
  • Chuck with #2 jaws (for hollow ornaments and inside-out ornaments)
  • Chuck with pin jaws (for making finials)
  • Live center with removable pin and (preferably) lockable spindle
  • Small bowl gouge and/or small spindle gouge
  • Detail gouge
  • small hollowing tools (for hollow ornaments)
Consumables we will need
  • Sandpaper up to 320
  • deft rattle can sanding sealer
  • deft rattle can spray lacquer
  • Inside out ornament:
    • Four 1"x1"x6" (or bigger) blanks of your choice for the inside out ornament. They need to be SQUARE and the same size.
    • One 1"x1"x6" (or longer) blank for your finials (top and bottom)
  • Hollow ornament:
    • One 2"x2"x2" (or bigger) blank for the ornament
    • One 1"x1"x6" (or longer) blank for your finials (top and bottom)
  • Metal hangers (to make wall thickness feelers)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

darcisowers

Andy and I are coming (and if it's OK, we'll be bringing our girls, since we haven't found a sitter for the day!)

We're bringing:
  • Brownies!!
  • lathe/chuck/tools/etc combo, and a workmate bench to put the lathe on
  • EZ up for shade
  • anything else that is requested.
:biggrin:

tbroye

I don't think I will be able to attened. Having surgery on Monday the 23 and don't think the Dr. will let me trave for at least I see him on the 31st.

Have fun

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
At this point I have no plans for food. Probably burgers since the brats were WAYYYYY salty last time. Or, does have anyone else have any ideas?

As for lathes, I realized I hadn't specified.... I don't have any work bench space so if you have a stand then bringing a lathe is great. But if you don't have a stand then you would have to use it sitting on the ground. Fun, no? But If anyone has one of those "baker's racks" we could use that as a stand for a couple of lathes.

Tom, I'm really sorry you won't be able to make it but I hope the surgery goes well and you heal up well. If you like I can come down there and teach you how to make the ornaments after you are up and around again.

GK

Ratto

I will be attending. I can bring two lathes - each has it's own stand. I have a chuck with #2 jaws. I have one hollowing tool and I am planning on getting some more before the weekend. I can bring a table that can hold one or two lathes.

Dave

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
Question for folks: will you all be bringing your own wood? Or should I go buy some and prep it and you can then pay me for them when you get here?

Again, we need 4 matched 1" x 6" or so blanks for the body of the inside out ornament; 1 2"x2"x2" or 3"x3"x3" (again, "or so") blank for the hollow ornament and 4 more pen blanks for the finials.

GK

darcisowers

We can bring an additional lathe if Ratto brings the table... assuming another lathe is needed, of course.

We plan to bring our own wood too.

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
More lathes the better!

Just had a thought: what about a platter of those Croissant Sandwiches from Costco or Safeway or something? Quick and easy and gives more flexibility on when to eat. Thoughts? Or a couple of the Subway "Party Sandwiches"? Or??

ldubia

I am bringing wood and some kind of interesting food. My lathe has no bench so I have no where to stand it up. I will have it in the truck just in case. I have a #2 chuck and a few tools.

On a separate note, Vince Hoffman is interested in attending. I have told him about it and needs to know where the meeting is. Greg, can you contact him and let him know about it? Thanks in advance. He may be abe to make it. He is the person who turns pine cones.

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
Ok folks, we are getting REALLY close now. Can we get a final role-call so I know how many sandwiches to buy?

It looks like it should be a really nice day, low-70s and clear.

GK

angboy

I'm planning on being there. Probably will arrive about 11:30ish. I'll bring some drinks- I looked back at the last thread and it looks like diet pepsi and a clear drink were requested by some of the people who're coming again. I'll also try to make some fake toffee!

nava1uni

I will be there and will bring my lathe and other items listed. Will bring chips and other food to nosh on while working(?). Sandwiches sound fine to me. About wood, I have some, but it may not all be square. Will that be a problem? Let me know.

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
About wood, I have some, but it may not all be square. Will that be a problem? Let me know.

OK, so here's how it works. You take four matching blanks and you stick them together using 2 of the faces of each to form a blank 2x as big as each blank you use. You then turn the inside shape. Then you break it apart and rotate each blank 90-degrees and glue it all back together and turn the outside. IF your blanks are square and the same size then the inside pattern will line up perfectly after the glue up. If the blanks are a little off then the pattern will be a little off. If the blanks are a lot off....

So, as a learning exercise, no it won't matter too terribly much.(*) But for your "final projects" that you do later you really will want your blanks all square and matching in size.

(*) Where it will make you feel better is that your chuck will be able to grab all four blanks equally and you will not be as worried about them shifting/coming loose as you turn them. Uneven blanks make for uneven grip in the chuck.

nava1uni

I have an opportunity to get some Acacia wood on Saturday. It is in the form of tree limbs. The tree was 60 feet tall. It is close to my house and if anyone wants some I can pick it up. Just let me know by tonight. I can bring it on Sunday.

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
I'm sure someone will be happy to have more wood, Cindy. If it is green then 3-4" branches would be perfect for making turned mushrooms.

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
Food Stuffs & stuff

After pricing the croissant trays Kim and I decided to buy "build your own sandwich" supplies. We bought the following:
Croissants
Ciabatta bread
2 kinds of ham
2 kinds of turkey
roast beef
sliced cheese (jack, colby, swiss, cheddar, Jalapeño Cheddar)
Mayo
Mustard
Ketchup
Dijon

If anyone can think of anything else that they want please feel free to add to the list.

We have several kinds of sodas but if there is something specific you want to drink you should probably bring it. We do not have any bottled water anymore.

If everyone shows up that said they will we should have around 12 people.
I have 6 folding chairs. You might want to bring something to sit on. :biggrin:

We look forward to seeing you all Sunday!!

angboy

I have some drinks all ready to bring- diet pepsi, regular pepsi, and diet sierra mist 12 packs, along with fake toffee... unless I eat it all before Sunday!

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
Dave brought one of his lathes over today and he had a WorkMate bench for it to sit on. That works REALLY well. So if any of you have a workmate sitting around could you bring it in case we need extra lathe tables?

Looking forward to seeing you all tomorrow.
GK

Top Bottom