2014 November Meeting

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

IBTurning

It's time to start thinking about the November meeting. The 3rd Saturday will be 11/15/14. I would like to get a headcount of those interested.

I thought of a project that would involve everyone and isn't as messy as the casting method. I found an article in issue #2 of Woodturning Design "Polymer Clay Pens". We could each bring a different color or we can all chip in and buy some before the meeting. The material can be bought from Micheals. This is just one idea, any others?

Please also post what food item(s) you can bring for lunch.

Larry

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• Polymer Clay Pens.jpg
    Polymer Clay Pens.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 408
  • Polymer Clay Pens Supplies.jpg
    Polymer Clay Pens Supplies.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 426
Last edited:

darcisowers

we might be there.... it might be Abigail's last soccer game of the season that day....not sure when they will send out the schedule....

But this sounds like a GREAT project!!! I want to try it!

IBTurning

Websites for items listed:

Clay:
http://www.polymerclayexpress.com/products/clay/sculpey-products/sculpey-iii

Pens:
http://www.woodturningz.com/PSI-Slimline-Pen-Kit-Black-Enamel?sk=black+enamel+slimline+kit

I was thinking maybe we should just order pens and clay early? Onecould order some pens another could order some clay? What colors shouldwe get? Maybe each person put a vote in for 2 colors? I can alsoemail you the article if you don't have the issue. Also they showed using a pasta maker for the clay but they also mentioned using a rolling pin. Does anyone have one of these (that they wouldn't mind using for clay)?

Also if you didn't hear, Woodturning Design will no longer be publishing their magazine.

Larry

attachment.php

Attachments

• Pasta.jpg
    Pasta.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 365

reefboy1

Hi all,

15 Nov is doubtful for me. I'm getting back from a couple week trip in India the night before.

Art

BMellber

Larry,
Sounds like a fun project. Count me in for attending on 11-15. I suggest we get some 12 inch by 7mm tubes for this project. I have a small saw we could use to cut the tubes to length prior to turing with on the pen mandrel.
Bill

darcisowers

We can make the 15th!

Does Amazon do a "sculpey sampler kit?"

We probably have a bunch of slim kits, but I personally prefer sierras.... would it be okay if I brought those instead?

nava1uni

I have lots of polymer clay tools that I will bring. Cutters, knives, it can be rolled with dowels, but I will bring a couple of clay rolling pins. There is a sampler, but I am not sure if it is Sculpey or Fimo. Sculpey is easier to work with and holds up fine as barrels for pens. Instead of ordering pens, why doesn't each person just bring a kit and it can really be any kit that you want. It is the same process, no matter the kit. It will take time for each person to make barrels for on kit. Then if they like the process that can make more at home. I will bring some clay. If each person brought just 1 clay it would be more then enough to make LOTS of pens.

IBTurning

I was checking on eBay, there are 10 and 12 packs of different colors selling for about $20. I could just buy one of these, then we wouldn't need to worry about each person having to buy their own. I haven't worked with clay for a long time, so this will be interesting.

Regarding the pen kits, I like the idea of everyone bringing their own kits.

Larry

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
What do you think about ordering a couple sets of clay and then split the cost and left-overs? Then we can each bring kits and pay a share per blank made.

Gk

nava1uni

The sets only have little squares, not the same as a regular square so there would not be enough to do what you want. I checked out Ebay and the sets are off brand or FIMO. FIMO is too hard for our purposes. We want to use regular Sculpey clay because it is softer to work with and adheres better because of this factor. Michael's has a large selection of it and often has it on sale or discount.

Last edited:

IBTurning

I don't have a Michael's near by, but I can buy from Polymer Express (online) and still have it here in time. Does anyone know what the difference is between Sculpey Original and Sculpey III?

I was thinking about getting 2 packages of III Black (2x$1.50) and 2 packages of III Bright Color Multipack (2x$12.00). With shipping ($6.10) it would be $33.10.

Sculpey III 2oz - 042 Black

Sculpey III Multipack - Bright Colors

Any comments? Let me know if this sounds reasonable, or should we bring our own? I would need to order soon to make sure it's here in time.

I'm guessing that each person would want to make more than just one pen.

Larry

Last edited:

nava1uni

Original Sculpey only comes in white and terracota. It was originally used in classrooms. Sculpey III is the one that comes in colors. I don't need any clay, but the price you are getting is a good deal.

BMellber

I still plan to bring some 12" (7mm tubes) with cut-off saw and the appropriate slimline kit to match. We have a Michael's in Dublin that maight carry the Sculptclay III products. I'll check it out, if not I'd like to buy into the supply that Larry gets on-line. Any help with food on Saturday, please let us know; if this event includes a lunch break.
Will the clay cure in time to turn a couple of pen blanks? I suspect we should stay with one brand of clay and not intermix other than color.
Bill

IBTurning

Not sure if I had mentioned it, but I thought we could give Greg a break and have the meeting at my house. I was at a thrift shop yesterday and found a pasta maker (for the clay) for real cheap.

I can provide my usual ham lunchmeat.

Larry

nava1uni

So lets do a food list. Since Darcy is coming and she makes such good desserts can I ask her to do that and I will bring bread and chips instead of dessert. Lets keep an idea of what is coming.

IBTurning

Just thought I would recap the food:
Larry - Ham lunchmeat
Cindy - bread and chips
Darcy - Dessert

Cindy - Bill had a question about curing time. Do you know how to answer that? If I have time this Sunday, I may try making a pen to see how it goes.

Thanks all,

Larry

IBTurning

Step 19 in the article mentions "Apply sanding sealer and wipe dry." I only have lacquer sanding sealer, does anyone have some sanding sealer they could bring?

I spoke to Rick from BAWA (he runs the store), and he would like to join us on Saturday. He said he would like to bring "sandwich fixings. Lettuce, tomatoes, onions, etc..."

Thanks,

Larry

Jim Campbell

From what I see on the list we're missing beverages and snacks, and perhaps salad.

How about if I bring a dozen or so beverages and a coleslaw salad?

IBTurning

Another food recap:

Larry - Ham lunchmeat
Cindy - bread and chips
Darcy - Dessert
Rick - Sandwich Fixings
Jim - beverages and a coleslaw salad

Also, I spoke to Elizabeth from BAWA and she has given me some tips beyond what the article gave. I made some copies to give out at the meeting.

Thanks all,

Larry

nava1uni

What do you mean by curing time? It take a short time for the clay to cook in the oven. I will bring a toaster oven and we will need some tin foil. I think I have some I can bring.

IBTurning

I do have a toaster oven I keep in the shop, if you would rather leave yours at home. Otherwise we would have a backup.

Elizabeth had this to say about curing time:

I've never used the ice-dunking technique that Ed cites in the articles; some others have reported it causes brittleness – however, for class it might speed up the curing process. The clay is very fragile after it comes out from the oven and I find letting them air cool works best for me

Additionally, I discovered that sometimes the bond between the cured polymer clay (PC) and the brass tube can fail, and the tube will spin while turning. However, if I apply a very thin coating of liquid Sculpey or the "Sculpey Bake & Bond" to the tube before wrapping it with the sheet of PC and then baking, no failures.

Do you have any of these? If not, I can stop by Michaels tonight.

Last edited:

IBTurning

Checked the weather for Saturday, it shows 64. The garage will be a couple of degrees cooler, so bring warm clothes. Greg might be bringing his propane heater. This is too big and messy of a project to do inside the house.

Last edited:

nava1uni

I don't have any of the Sculpey Bake and Bond. I find that letting it cool out of the oven works best. The finishing of the pen is done with sanding and not much with tools, unless you can use a skew.
On another note I have been given a large amount of juniper and I wonder if anyone would like some. It is green, but it has some beautiful color and it turns nicely. I have made a few boxes of it a few months ago. This was cut today. Let me know and I can bring it on Saturday.
Do we have a head count yet?

Top Bottom