2 months = March.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
I wish There was something going on closer to Paso Robles. Santa Rosa is about a 10 hr round trip for me.

Well we are hoping to have the next one down closer to you in the Fresno area. Just to "spread the love". But it always depends on where people are willing to host it. Know anyone is Paso Robles that might want to host a meeting in the future? Then we could do a caravan to the Aviation Museum. I haven't been there in YEARS.

GK

ldubia

I wish There was something going on closer to Paso Robles. Santa Rosa is about a 10 hr round trip for me.

Well we are hoping to have the next one down closer to you in the Fresno area. Just to "spread the love". But it always depends on where people are willing to host it. Know anyone is Paso Robles that might want to host a meeting in the future? Then we could do a caravan to the Aviation Museum. I haven't been there in YEARS.

GK

Can I go? Can I go? Can I go? Please, Please, Please. :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: Sounds like fun. I'm game.

reefboy1

Hi all,

I spoke to Cindy during the BAWA meeting this weekend (which was really good btw) and she mentioned that she does pyrography. I'd love to see a demo of this during our next meeting so would like to get that on the agenda if possible (and if Cindy is willing).

Thanks,

Art

ldubia

Hi all,

I spoke to Cindy during the BAWA meeting this weekend (which was really good btw) and she mentioned that she does pyrography. I'd love to see a demo of this during our next meeting so would like to get that on the agenda if possible (and if Cindy is willing).

Thanks,

Art

OOOhhhh, burning wood. Sounds like fun.

kludge77

Whoa, you guys are meeting up here?!

And I though I was the only Santa Rosa Member. Sweet. How do I get in on the meet? Do I need to learn the secret handshake or anything?

turn4fun

Hi Peter,

Connie and I are newer members.. we also live in Santa Rosa and are hosting the next meeting at our home on Sat. March 5. Set up starts at 10:00am and meeting starts at 11:00 am. PM me and I'll send you our address and phone number. You can check out earlier posts on this thread for previous discussion of this meeting. Please let me know if you are coming.

We look forward to meeting you.. Connie and Larry Rayher

turn4fun

Hey Everyone,

ONLY 2 WEEKS TIL OUR MEETING!

I'm a little nervous since this is the first time we've hosted a meeting and I want it to go well. I haven't heard from everyone about who is definitely coming to the March 5 meeting. Also haven't heard from anyone (unless I missed a message) about who is bringing what foods or beveridges. Connie and I are supplying lunch meats and cheeses for sandwiches.

Please start letting the entire group know if you're coming, and what you're bringing by posting on this forum/thread. When you say you are coming, I'll PM you with our phone number and address. I'll be a lot less nervous once we get these details settled.

I'm also a little nervous about the content of our meeting. Here are the topics of interest that I think I've heard so far:
* How to cast your own blanks
* Another look at the band saw jig I made for cutting blanks and segments
* A discussion of how different folks make segmented blanks
* Cindy sharing about her wood pyrography
* A quick demo of the BLO/CA finish I do

I'm sure I must have missed a topic in the above list. Please let me know what else to add. The topics of interest can be part of our round table discussion or can be demo'ed. We do have two lathes in our garage.

So far Greg has volunteered to bring 2 tables and 6 chairs. We have 5 chairs and a couple of round patio tables. Depending on how many folks are coming we might need additional chairs and possibly a table or two.

Proposed agenda for our meeting:
* 10:00 - 11:00 am.. General socialing. Setup of show and tell tables, foodstuffs for lunch and snacking, area for roundtable discussion and any demos.
* 11:00 - 12:00.. More socialing and start any demos.
* 12:00 - 12:45.. Lunch
* 12:45 - Whenever.. Demos, Roundtable discussions, other sharing and socializing.

Please let me know if I've overlooked something or if there's anything you want to add.. Thanks, Connie and I are looking forward to seeing everyone again.. Larry Rayher

kludge77

Larry-

I sent you a PM. I would like to attend and meet everyone!

I can bring a folding table and 4 chairs if needed.
I'll can also bring Chips & Salsa (Costco sized)
I'll also be happy to bring something else if required.

I also plan to bring a couple buckets of walnut cutoffs free for anyone who wants some...

-Peter

reefboy1

I'll be there please send your info (I'm sure the folks from this area will be carpooling).

I'll bring a couple folding chairs and a case of bottled water (is that ok?).

Look forward to seeing everyone again.

Art

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
I'll also bring my tablesaw sled and vacuum rip fence and we can make the segmenting discussion a bit more general.

In the past we had an entire meeting on casting. Jay demo'd how to do it then everyone got to do a casting or two of their own. I think everyone that was there would agree it was a fun time. Now that we have a bunch of new members maybe it is time to do it again. But... for this meeting I think we need to keep it simpler since there is other stuff we want to do. Maybe have someone talk about casting and do a quick demo on how to do casting but leave the "full casting thing" for a future meeting here in the middle of the group so it is less of a drive for the "distant folks" who want to see it but don't want to/can't drive from one end to the other. IF everyone wants to do this we can setup a collection at the next couple of meetings and we can buy a bunch of alumilite and pearlex and stuff to actually have everyone do a cast or two of their own.

Do people want the broccoli-slaw again? If so I can bring that. I can also bring breads to put the meat and cheese on.

turn4fun

Greg,.. the broccoli slaw and bread would be nice. Sounds like a good idea to have a full-blown demo and practice session on casting at another meeting that's in a more central location. Connie and I sure don't want to miss that meeting. Then at our our March meeting we'll have a discussion or quick show and tell that might help some folks get started.

Thanks.. Larry

reefboy1

I'm really looking forward to the next meeting. Gives me a reason to work on a few projects for show and tell.

I've actually made 5 pens in the last month but have given them all away...I really need to start keeping some.

Art

ldubia

I'm really looking forward to the next meeting. Gives me a reason to work on a few projects for show and tell.

I've actually made 5 pens in the last month but have given them all away...I really need to start keeping some.

Art

A hazard of woodworking is giving away the things we make. Fun though. How many of the self balancing bowls have you made now?

reefboy1

[/quote]
A hazard of woodworking is giving away the things we make. Fun though. How many of the self balancing bowls have you made now?[/quote]

I actually didn't really lke those weird bowls. Interesting to see the technique he used but I don't see myself making any.

ldubia

Ralph Ramirez, a professional turner, will be attending our meeting. If you have questions about turning bowls or other things, he would be a good source to ask. He is bringing a bowl gouge to demonstrate the upside down usage he referred to in the BAWA meeting. I asked him to come by if he was so inclined. He has already gotten the address from Larry and Connie and has said he will be there just before 11 AM.

reefboy1

Oh fantastic - I really enjoyed Ralph's presentation at the BAWA meeting. I'll be great to have him at our meeting!

avbill

SAturday March 5th OK I 'll bring my famous potato salad. Yes Greg I'll bring my recipe too!

Cindy email me if you are going so we can ride together.

ldubia

I will bring a birthday cake. I will also bring my wood burner and tips and show some of the things that you can do with it.

Oooh, I am looking forward to this meeting.

Cindy I am bringing you the FIMO to have. You already use this and enjoy doing so.

Art, I am bringing the bowl Greg cut out of his.

Does anyone need any wood?

I'll bring something, not sure what yet.

Dave_M

Hey Larry,
I'm starting to move in the direction of bowls. Haven't turned a bowl since I was 12. Funny, I used to turn 6" bowls and sell them for $10.00. Wood must have been very cheap back then because I did make a profit. Anyhow, I'm starting to tool up and buy a few small pieces of wood to practice turning. I ordered the Woodchuck Bowl Pro recently and hopefully the Woodchuck Bowl Finishing tool very soon. I'm getting addicted to carbide turning tools. If you have any wood beginner sized (not Greg sized) I would be interested.

I ordered a Grizzly G0555 bandsaw the other day. Happy birthday to me! Actually someone placed another large pen order with me so that pen order is paying for the bandsaw. My brother in law gave me a 100 pound Australian Eucalyptus root ball (with another one soon to follow) and my table saw isn't going to cut it... so to speak. Thus the need for the bandsaw. I'll break it up with the chainsaw of course then trim it on the bandsaw. I love getting new tools.

Slowly feeling my way through the bowl turning process. Hopefully I'll be turning my first bowl soon.

ldubia

Bowl material

Hey Larry,
I'm starting to move in the direction of bowls. Haven't turned a bowl since I was 12. Funny, I used to turn 6" bowls and sell them for $10.00. Wood must have been very cheap back then because I did make a profit. Anyhow, I'm starting to tool up and buy a few small pieces of wood to practice turning. I ordered the Woodchuck Bowl Pro recently and hopefully the Woodchuck Bowl Finishing tool very soon. I'm getting addicted to carbide turning tools. If you have any wood beginner sized (not Greg sized) I would be interested.

I can do that. I will look for some interesting pieces for you. What is your maximum diameter for your lathe?

Dave_M

Thanks Larry,
I have a Jet 1236 and a 1014 so 12" is my limit. I'm not sure what size is best to start with but probably not more than 10" I would guess.

Dave

ldubia

Only ONE MORE WEEK!!! Can't wait to see everyone again. I will bring a few pieces of wood with me. Now that my chainsaw is working pretty good again, I have wood to get cut up.

I am bringing a table, a couple of chairs, something to munch on, my wife, and anything I can think of in the week we have left. Any ideas on what we need to bring?

turn4fun

Hi Everyone,

Several folks have asked what else they could bring. I think we have enough tables and chairs. I also think we are doing fine with the food and beveridges. However, as soon as I get a chance, I will look through all the posts in this thread and the PM's that I received and tally it all up. If we're missing any I'll let you know.

OH! I know one thing you can bring! SOME NICE WEATHER! :biggrin:

Look forward to seeing everyone.. Connie and Larry

Dave_M

It's 31 degrees in my garage this morning. Brrrr! I haven't played in my garage much due to my knee and this freezing weather. I'll probably skip the show part and stick to the tell.

My new Grizzly bandsaw showed up yesterday so I did spend a little time assembling it yesterday afternoon. That is... until I realized there is a problem with the trunnion base. There are two alignment pins that don't fit in the holes in the trunnion base. I'm tempted to drill them out so they fit properly, but I'll call Grizzly first. I was really hoping to use it this weekend. I love getting new tools.

reefboy1

Well, I got absolutely no work done this weekend - it was just too freaking cold. Hopefully things warm up this weekend for the meeting!

Art

Dave_M

Good point Cindy. Thanks for the heads up. Been wicked cold here as well. I spent a couple hours in the garage this morning and that was enough to keep me froze for the rest of the day. Can't wait for the Spring thaw. I could have ice skated on my lawn this morning.

Dress warm, you are going North and it is often much colder in Santa Rosa then where you live. Layer, layer, layer

ldubia

Dress warm, you are going North and it is often much colder in Santa Rosa then where you live. Layer, layer, layer

ooooh - do they have polar bears up there? what about penguins? :tongue:

can't wait to see everyone again.

You can find penguins a bit farther SOUTH...say Antarctica. Just a hop, skip, and a jump from Santa Rosa. :eek: Maybe we can hold the next meeting there.:eek::eek: Then the cold weather here will feel really warm.

Dave, I know what you mean about being cold all day. I worked in the shop for half a day and couldn't get warm the rest of the day. I hate that. Especially the feet and hands.

turn4fun

Our temperature way up in the northern provinces has been in the high 50's the last few days. I suspect it'll be about the same Saturday unless a real cold snap blows into the Bay Area. A cool day has been in the lower 50's and our coldest days have been in the mid to high 40's. These are the typical temperatures after 11:00 am. It'll be a good 5 degrees cooler at 10:00 am.

HOWEVER! I still have an iceberg blocking our driveway complete with penguins playing and belly-flopping all over it. :biggrin::biggrin:

Larry Rayher

angboy

I wish I could join everyone this time. I've been watching the thread but just don't think I'm going to make it. When you all met in Jan, I was leaving that day to fly to the east coast to see my family and thought for sure I'd make the next meeting, but I guess not. It's a little too far away for me and I'm still struggling with a fair amount of pain these days so I usually have to take the weekends to recover from the week at work. But I hope everyone has fun!

turn4fun

Hi Everyone,

We have everything we need for the meeting.. enough chairs, tables, beveridges and food. We should have some where between 13 to 16 people attending including Jan and Sue DeBoer who are visiting Connie and I. Jan is truly an expert woodworker and artist. I'm sure he'll enjoy being here and meeting all of you.

Here are the agenda topics mentioned by everyone:
* Segmenting - Roundtable Discussion
* Bandwaw Sled - Larry Rayher. Roundtable Discussion. Show it and exlain how to build it. Maybe demo it on my bandsaw.
* Tablesaw sled and vacuum rip fence - Greg. Roundtable Discussion. Show and explain how to use them and build them.
* Pyrography - Cindy. Roundtable and/or Demo.
* Casting your own blanks. Roundtable. A short discussion to help folks get started. This topic will be covered as a workshop at a future meeting.
* Turning Acrylic Pens - Roundtable Discussion. A related topic to be discussed (possibly demo'd) is turning Delrin bushings.
* Using a bowl gouge upside down - Ralph Ramirez. Demo/discussion.
* An easy way to get a good BLO/CA finish -Larry Rayher. Description of technique and if group would like it a possible demo.
* Do we want to have a Challenge/Contest between meetings and bring our results to a future meeting? Roundtable Discussion
* Is it a good idea or not to create a member list of our IAP Chapter that includes things like our IAP user names, our real names, phone nos., e-mail addresses, street addresses, birthdays, etc.? Roundtable Discussion.

See you Saturday.. Connie and Larry

turn4fun

Hi Again,

Here's a specific list of who's volunteered to bring what to the meeting:

* Greg Ketell..chairs, table pop-up covered shelter, brocolli slaw, breads for sandwiches, tablesaw sled, vacuum rip fence.
* Peter Brown.. Folding table, 4 chairs, chips and salsa
* Cindy Navarro.. Cake and pyrography equipment.
* Darcy or Andy Sowers.. Brownies
* Larry and Kathy Dubia.. Table, 2 chairs, garlic bread
* Bill Daniels.. His famous potato salad and the recipe
* Art.. 2 chairs, case of bottled water
* Ralph Ramirez.. bowl gouge and wood to demo it on
* Connie and Larry Rayher.. Meat and cheese for sandwiches, mayo, mustard, pickles, catsup, soft drinks, paper plates, paper cups, napkins, folding chairs, 1 round table

If anyone thinks of something else they want to bring, please bring it. Of course bring your stuff for the braggin tables.

See ya Saturday.. Connie and Larry Rayher

Top Bottom