WOW, WOW, WOW!! What can I Say...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rojo22

Local Chapter Leader
Well, I just got home and emptied the truck, and sitting here at my keyboard, the only thing I can still say is WOW!

You folks sure are not the most active on the boards, but the support and the turn out today was absolutely FANTABULOUS!!! I could not have asked for a better turnout!

Robin just downloaded her pictures off of her camera, and we will begin posting them out here tomorrow. I will also do a full run down on the skinny of who, what, when and where...and you know who the guilty are <Perry>!

For those who were unable to attend, we had over 30 people from the local area (some folks from Alabama even sneaked in <Mike>, but they had the same accent as we did so we let him stay) that are registered with the IAP, another 10 or so who were new, but going to join the group, and probably another 10-12 who just popped in to see what all the excitement was about.

By the time the folks had stopped in and piled up the free blanks and trade blanks, the Jorgensen work bench was groaning under the weight from all of the free stuff and traded blanks. I hope everyone brings back some pens made with the free stuff and the traded blanks.

I cannot wait till the March 21st meeting! Again thanks to all of the folks who turned out! Those who have to live vicariously through us, we will post pictures and share all the fun and excitement!

I hope everyone has a great holiday season, and again thanks for the support today!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Steve Busey

OK, I admit I was initially not going to respond to this post, but after being admonished earlier in the day, I'll go ahead and pipe in here. (there, are you happy Robert? :wink:)

As for the comment about Alabamans and their accent, I need to point out that Constant was the one from the DEEP South! And his accent was a little bit different than everyone else's! :biggrin:

Thanks again, everyone - I had a GRRRR8 time!

I need to point out that Constant was the one from the DEEP South! And his accent was a little bit different than everyone else's! :biggrin:

This is what make this country the best in the world ( I have been to a few countries)
Thanks for a great event!
I unfortunately had to leave early.
It was nice meeting a great bunch of fellow pen turners.
If any person have some questions about the inlay kits please feel free to give me a call at 770 891 2301 or visit my site.

Fred

Also posted to Steve \o/ earlier post ....

Well, I had to miss the show due to my stroke related problems giving me fits this week. I know you all had a blast shaking each other's paws and such.

Hopefully I will be able to get out and about for the meeting in March. I'm really sorry I was not there to meet you all this time around. :)

Really glad to read that you all had a wonderful time and enjoyed yourselves immensely. :wink:

mikegibs

Big Hats off to the crew at Woodcraft for a NICE facility and to Robert for doing most if not all the leg work to make the meeting happen. It sure is nice to put faces with screen names.

Mike G.

papaturner

You are are right Robert WOW,WOW,WOW, just about sums it up.
What an awesome pleasure to meet all those who attended ( I won`t dare try to name them all). I left with some great blanks and wonderful new friends.

Just a special thanks to Robert who put this together, You did an outstanding job.

Thanks again.

davinci27

Just chiming in with another WOW! I almost missed it but I'm so glad I showed up. I met a great group of people, and it ws nice to mbe in a room full of other pen folks. I've got to get busy turning some pens before the next meeting. I've got a bag full of blanks just wanting for kits now.

Thanks Robert for pulling this all together. You did a great job.
Ben

mick

I posted this in Steves other thread but thought I'd add it here

...A big thanks to Robert for organizing this....I had a blast...even taking into account the drive. Afterall it got me a free kit. :biggrin:. It was fantastic meeting all the IAP members and the soon to be members too. There were so many people and so much going on I'll have to wait for the pictures to sort out names and faces. This was the first time I've been able to attend anything like this and I'll sure do it again! Another big thanks to Woodcraft and their associates for hosting us. The store was fantastic and the guys working there very helpful!

cbjax

I guess I'll add a WOW!! So RoJo22 will know folks are paying attention.
Thanks again RoJO for putting this together and to Woodcraft for the meeting room.

Merry Christmas! to All.

davewood

Thanks, Rojo, for making it happen and thanks to all the IAP guys and gals for a fine get together last Saturday. My staff and I surely enjoyed working with all of you, seeing your work and learning new stuff. We look forward to future meetings.

Dave Wood

Rojo22

Local Chapter Leader
Skye

I totally understand! I have been busy with another project right now, which I will also post pictures of in the casual conversation thread. Sorry to everyone for being slow on the pictures. If you want to see pics of the other project, head over to the casual conversation thread when you see the meeting pictures posted.

Steve Busey

Pics!

I wasn't the official photog, but here are a few to keep Skye at bay...

Rojo22, Constant and Constant's kits:
P 021 (Medium).jpg P 022 (Medium).jpg P 025 (Medium).jpg
The "Blank bench" and Talking shop:
P 027 (Medium).jpg P 029 (Medium).jpg

Rojo22

Local Chapter Leader
Steve

Thanks for posting the pics man! My father had the shirt embroidered, and we usually wear them to our carving and turning gatherings!

Steve Busey

Oh, was that your dad? I didn't realize that. Don't recall that he had a nametag...

If anyone else recognizes themselves in any of the pics, PM me and I'll add your name to it if you wish.

Rojo22

Local Chapter Leader
Pics from the Inaugural meeting!! It REALLY did HAPPEN!!

Ok, I will break these into several posts to keep the titles and things easier to read.

The first four is of Bill Krantz (Buffalo Bill) actually sending some beautiful Holly chips flying into the air. Bill started and finished a Holly Sterling Silver Sedona kit while we were at the meeting. The pen had a beautiful CA finish despite my best efforts to put pits and bubbles in it! Bills pen was the subject of the simple CA finish that was presented at the meeting. The group discussed other ways to handle CA finishes, and also the safety required to practice when using CA as a finish.....Someone hand me the fire extinguisher please!

Never let it be said we didnt get anything turned during a meeting. Bill, Mick, and Ben all had pens going at the same time. We had up to 8 Jet lathes available to us! The facility is an awesome venue! Where else can you go, and they EXPECT you to put shavings all over the place.

Attachments

• Bill K turning 2 med.jpg
    Bill K turning 2 med.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 188
  • Bill K turning 3 med.jpg
    Bill K turning 3 med.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 166
  • Bill K turning med.jpg
    Bill K turning med.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 176
  • Bill Krantz med.jpg
    Bill Krantz med.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 165

Rojo22

Local Chapter Leader
WARNING: Staring at the following pictures will cause increased heart beats, sweaty palms, and irregular breathing, along with an unnatural desire to buy a CNC machine...You were warned!

The following is brought to you by Bruce Boone! It was great to see Bruce, who was the gracious sponsor of the very first Atlanta area Bubbasville which is the precursor to the Local Chapter Events. If you have never been in Bruce's shop, well you are missing one of the Disney Land adventures for Adults! As you can see Bruce does some absolutely incredible work, and yes, when you hold them in your hand, well you kinda feel like a superhero....well ok, maybe thats only how I feel....but they make you feel pretty good!

Thanks for coming Bruce! For those of you there at the meeting, Bruce discussed a future pen he is concocting in the basement....for those who weren't there...we could tell ya' but then we would probably have guys in black suits and sunglasses visiting our house.....

Attachments

• Bruce Boone Pens med.jpg
    Bruce Boone Pens med.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 198
  • Bruce Boons Rings med.jpg
    Bruce Boons Rings med.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 177
  • Bruce Pens 2 med.jpg
    Bruce Pens 2 med.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 175
  • Bruce Pens 3 med.jpg
    Bruce Pens 3 med.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 188

Rojo22

Local Chapter Leader
The local Southeast Chapter was visited by one of the most warmly welcomed members in the history of the IAP! Constant Laubscher was present at our inaugural meeting and brought several of his puzzle kits, completed pens, and instructions on how to put the puzzle kit together! Constant gave the group a Majestic kit, and a puzzle kit as a door prize for the meeting. He also gave us a demo on how to successfully complete his kits.

We thank Constant for his generosity, both with his time, and with the door prize awards. We look forward to seeing more of Constant and his work!

Attachments

• Constant 2 med.jpg
    Constant 2 med.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 182
  • Constant med.jpg
    Constant med.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 172
  • Constant's Pens med.jpg
    Constant's Pens med.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 177
  • Puzzle Pen med.jpg
    Puzzle Pen med.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 167
  • Puzzle Sheet med.jpg
    Puzzle Sheet med.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 175

Rojo22

Local Chapter Leader
Ok, there were several people who came VERY, VERY, VERY prepared to trade, sell and well just give away some cool stuff. Bill Krantz(Buffalo Bill), Perry Bridges(papaturner), Charles Jackson(cbjax), Steve Busey(SRB), and Mark Pirkle(me2cyclops) were very active at the trading table!

Hey Mark, don't smell that blue blank!

Stacy Robinson, from Penz by Design came to visit us as well. Stacy was one of the local guys, that was present at the Atlanta Pen show. Stacy has some beautiful work to display, and his new website is super fantastic!

Perry brought enough blanks to keep a pen turner busy for the next three years! He brought some beautiful jumbo blanks in several types of wood that I had never turned before, and we were able to negotiate a few horse trades. Perry is one of those human beings that you are just humbled by, and let me tell you, he is a great guy! We appreciate the effort it took Perry to get to the meeting (90 miles of driving)!

I cannot wait to see stuff in March to trade! Make sure you bring some unique, interesting, or other type stuff to trade. It was great to see some stuff that I normally do not see.

Charles kept us in stitches all day long! Hey Charles, if that camera worked, post some pics that you took!

Steve was a hoot as well, and it was great to spend some time just talking about pens, blanks, and turning!

Bill brought enough exotic blanks, and some of the segmented stuff to spin heads! I believe he made out with a few great looking blanks in trade as well.

Attachments

• Pen swap 2 med.jpg
    Pen swap 2 med.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 177
  • Pen swap med.jpg
    Pen swap med.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 191
  • People Meeting 3 med.jpg
    People Meeting 3 med.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 157
  • People Meeting 7 med.jpg
    People Meeting 7 med.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 175
Last edited:

Rojo22

Local Chapter Leader
Ok, here are the jail break pictures! These are taken with folks just walking, talking, and looking at some beautiful pens out for display.

Mike Hulsey (Mick) came all the way from Alabama (175 miles!!!!). We really appreciate Mike coming to the meeting, and he was also one of the funniest people to have around. Mike is a great person to have for his knowledge, and him just being him! He brought some PR stuff that was superb, and I love the tool that he is using to create his works with.

Ron Hampton (ronhampton) was soooo close to the longest drive to the meeting (148 miles), but Mike just beat him out. We really appreciate him taking the time to come up and yack with all of us. We want to see the pictures of that casing pen when you are done with it!

Mike Gibson was there and talking shop with everyone. Mike is very knowledgeable and was a great resource for everyone.

We had a number of curious guests come by while the meeting was in progress, along with a visit from the Gwinnett Woodworkers Club. The club meeting concluded business not far from the Woodcraft location, and a great number of their members stopped by to say hello. The Gwinnett Woodworkers club is one of the most organized, active and supportive clubs I have ever seen. They do a great job promoting all types of woodworking, from scrollsaw work, turning, furniture making, and generally anything that has to do with wood! If you are coming to the Atlanta WoodWorking Show in January, they will have an enormous display of members gorgeous work on display.

Other casts of characters at the meeting were:

Paul Vandersaar, Jean Vandersaar, Kim Kaumeyer, Jerry Johnson (CTHRU, my Dad, and creator of the Designer Firewood Logo), Ben Brown (drove 85 miles, thanks for coming, it was great to finally meet you in person), Kurt Bernat (Kabate), Bob Shee, Bruce Maday, Harry Robinson, Bob Aldea, Mike Peace, Rob Austin, Jim Preston, Frank Gillette, Roger Fitzsimonds, Butch Davis (DUPDAV, a good friend of mine, and a very talented woodworker), Will Whitlock, and Maria Alvarando (Woodchick). If I have forgotten anyone, or misspelled a name, I apologize profusely, and will edit upon being notified. No disrespect is intended.

We had a very good turn out for the meeting. A few changes will be made for the March 21st meeting, so keep a sharp lookout for the details.

Attachments

• People Meeting 4 med.jpg
    People Meeting 4 med.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 171
  • People Meeting 5 med.jpg
    People Meeting 5 med.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 168
  • People Meeting 6 med.jpg
    People Meeting 6 med.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 172
  • Meeting People med.jpg
    Meeting People med.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 168
  • Meeting People 2 med.jpg
    Meeting People 2 med.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 169
Last edited:

Rojo22

Local Chapter Leader
Ok, these are pictures that the official photographer (my wife) would like to see posted. I warn you, these pictures are great, despite the content...with apologies to Mike Hulsey, who is a fine example of a human being and much more photogenic than I am!

I cannot again say Thank you enough for Steve, Dave, and Robert's help at the Atlanta Woodcraft. I appreciate Steve, and Al making room for our group in their wonderful facility, and hope the relationship lasts a long time. If you get a chance to personally thank these folks at the facility, please do not hesitate to do so, and if you get a chance to do some shopping and support the facility, I am sure they would appreciate it.

Ok , the bald guy in the goofy smock and glasses, well thats me (rojo22), and a few of the shots are during the CA demo. As you can see, the instructions were beyond engaging, as most of the audience was either sleeping, or on their way! Again, thanks for all who participated and attended the inaugural meeting.

The last picture is of Mike Hulsey who won the longest drive to the meeting award. He won a Majestic kit and bushings, and I cannot wait to see what PR or wood he uses to finish the pen!

I neglected in getting pictures of all of the winners for the wonderful laser kits that Ken provided the group. I have pictures of a few winners, but I would like to have everyone who won a kit, to take a picture of the completed pen, or send me a picture of you with your kit to post. Again, thanks to Ken for all of his support for the local Chapters. Please pass along your thanks to Ken for his generosity if you won a kit.

Attachments

• Display sign med.jpg
    Display sign med.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 180
  • Robert sign med.jpg
    Robert sign med.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 179
  • Robert 2 med.jpg
    Robert 2 med.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 199
  • Robert's Demo on CA finish med.jpg
    Robert's Demo on CA finish med.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 177
  • Mick Award med.jpg
    Mick Award med.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 169
Last edited:

mick

Hmmm, revealing photos....I need to lose some weight!
Robert it was great fun....and I promise I wasn't sleeping in the CA demo photo....I think I was hanging my head in shame over the "rasp" comment.
As for the Majestic kit, I'm thinking about finding a very nice, very figured piece of Snakewood to use and keep this one in my personal collection. Thanks again for all you and the guys at Woodcraft did to make this possible!
Oh BTW things were so fast paced there for awhile I still didn't connect names/IAP/faces with some of the guys. Maybe we could do some IDing in some of the pictures, you know put names with faces and such.

Fred

With all the pictures being posted it makes me just wish I had felt up to getting over there with the rest of you good folks. I am sorry to have missed all the good times and meeting all of you. You definitely seem to have had a great time! :biggrin:

I plan on getting to the March meeting as long as I am still on top of the ground. See you all then!

Top Bottom