Third meeting pics and rundown

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rojo22

Local Chapter Leader
Well the third meeting was a big hit! We had lots of new folks show up, and the usual suspects were also present!

I will post some pictures in following messages.

Again, I would like to thank several folks for their generosity towards the Southeast Chapter, and without their generosity, our meetings would not be as fun, or in such a nice facility. First, I would like to thank Steve and his bunch over at Woodcraft. The use of their facility for our meeting space is a wonderful gift, and what a bunch of nice folks to deal with! Second, Ken for all of the laser cut kits, nothing fires up the crowd with anticipation like giving away a super laser cut kit! Third and most important, you folks who show up with free stuff to give away, trade, or sell. Thanks again for those who brought free stuff to give away (special thanks to Carsten, who donated over 80 kits to be given away!). Please thank those who keep our meetings interesting and fun!

Who was there?

Charles Jackson (CBJAX), Perry Bridges (papaturner), Gene Ward (NascarBowl), Robert Johnson (Rojo22), Mike Rachelson (mike_in_atlanta), Jonathan Adams (JonAdams), Eric Ryberg (Erock2k6), Kay Carson, Howard Julian (Hjulian), Andrew Watson, Charlie Long (Charlie Long), Mike Goetz (Watchman7), Davy Henderson (TheDeviathan), Dick Albortelli, Jerry Johnson, Robin Johnson, David Courtney, Jonathan Pendley, Jim Preston, John Bagwell (Pen_Turner), Lacie Bagwell, Brian Powell, Steve Busey (SRB), Ron Hampton (RonHampton), Rob Austin, Steve Mellott, Bruce Anprise, Bruce Boone, and a few lurkers who didnt sign in, but will remain anonymous to help protect you from the HoneyDew police......

If you were supposed to be mowing the lawns or something else other than being at Woodcraft, the names were not changed to protect the innocent! Sorry!

Thanks again to everyone who makes this a success! Our next meeting will be Saturday, September 19th, so clear your calendars!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rojo22

Local Chapter Leader
Okay a few pictures of the crowd in general!

Picture One, Some discussion on something very important....not sure what it was.....

Picture Two, Folks admiring the pens others had on display. Brian, Perry and a few others are in the pic

Picture Three, Robert, Jim, and Jonathan discussing a CA finish

Picture Four, Ron, Robert, Jim, Jonathan, Jim, and Brian looking at all the pretty eye candy

Picture Five, Steve, Perry and a few others listening to Perry explain the Pine Cone pen...AGAIN....thanks for your patience Perry...

Picture Six, Jerry, Robert and David talking about a PR pour

Attachments

• Group Pic 1 small.jpg
    Group Pic 1 small.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 258
  • Group Pic 2 small.jpg
    Group Pic 2 small.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 255
  • Group Pic 3 small.jpg
    Group Pic 3 small.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 249
  • Group Pic 4 small.jpg
    Group Pic 4 small.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 260
  • Group Pic 5 small.jpg
    Group Pic 5 small.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 251
  • Group Pic 6 small.jpg
    Group Pic 6 small.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 268
Last edited:

Rojo22

Local Chapter Leader
More Pics!

These are of the free stuff, and the drawing prizes. We had over 80 slimline kits and European kits donated by Carsten! Thanks Carsten! We had water pipe blanks by the dozen donated by Skye (cut up by Perry!). We had some really nice wood stuff donated, along with some PR blanks. And as always, the great support given by Ken and his laser kits! Thanks a ton Ken. They really like to get on the edge of their seat when we give your stuff away! And as a special treat, we gave away the pen blanks created by MICK during our last meeting. The survey said that the Georgia Tech blanks went first, and the Georgia blanks came in second........Thanks again MICK!

Attachments

• Freebies 1 small.jpg
    Freebies 1 small.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 243
  • Freebies 2 small.jpg
    Freebies 2 small.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 262
  • Freebies 3 small.jpg
    Freebies 3 small.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 239
  • Give Aways 1 small.jpg
    Give Aways 1 small.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 253
Last edited:

Rojo22

Local Chapter Leader
More pics!

We had a pen exchange this meeting and man, there was some REALLY great stuff there! First three pics are of the pens in the exchange. The fourth picture is of some of the other projects that were completed by Rojo22. Segmented bowls, hurricane lamps, and Christmas tree ornament. The table is a George the 10th copy and is done in walnut and ash. The table top is done with marquetry techniques. The fifth picture is of a beautiful bowl turned by Charles Jackson (CBJAX), and the Box Elder bowl is a stunner!

Attachments

• Pen Exchange 1 small.jpg
    Pen Exchange 1 small.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 240
  • Pen Exchange 2a small.jpg
    Pen Exchange 2a small.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 238
  • pen exchange 3 small.jpg
    pen exchange 3 small.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 256
  • Other stuff we make small.jpg
    Other stuff we make small.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 241
  • Other stuff we make 2 small.jpg
    Other stuff we make 2 small.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 216
Last edited:

Rojo22

Local Chapter Leader
Even MORE PICS!

These are some of the beautiful pens brought in to delight the crowd of onlookers!

The first picture is of Brian Powell's pens. It was great to see Brian come out as he is one of our younger turners! Great stuff Brian!

The second picture is of Jim's (I think, but if the name is wrong, let me know!) kit. Nice stuff! Nothing jazzes up a pen like a Crown Royal bag!

The third picture was Mike in Atlanta's kit, and it had some great stuff in it. Mike uses a plexiglass finish, and is willing to do a demo on it, POTENTIALLY the next meeting if we can organize everything. Thanks for explaining it to passers by MIKE!

The fourth kit again, didnt get a name associated with it, but yet again, some gorgeous stuff in it. Send me a name and I will update the post.

The fifth kit belongs to Davy (Deviathan)! Good to see another younger turner in the crowd. Great stuff, and a real variety!

The sixth kit is Perry's. As always Perry brings some of the top shelf stuff! I am very happy that I got his pine cone pen in the exchange. Hey Perry, how do you make those again....Just kidding!

Attachments

• Brian Pens 1 small.jpg
    Brian Pens 1 small.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 240
  • Jim Kit 1 small.jpg
    Jim Kit 1 small.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 225
  • pen kit 2 small.jpg
    pen kit 2 small.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 239
  • Pen Kit 3 small.jpg
    Pen Kit 3 small.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 244
  • Pen Kit small.jpg
    Pen Kit small.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 246
  • Perry Kit small.jpg
    Perry Kit small.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 253
Last edited:

papaturner

Thanks

To Robert(rojo22) and his main squeeze for all the hard work on another great meeting.

Thanks to Ken at Kallenshaan Woods for the awesome Blanks,I was blessed to come home with the Cross inlay Kit.

To woodcraft owners and staff.....You folks make usfeel so welcome each time Icome to your store.....Thanks.

And last but certainly not least all the great Penturners who make the meetings what they are ....Thanks.

I also came home with a Rojo22 one of a kind Fountain Pen(will post photo in the soyp forum.

It was great meeting everyone and talking about pens today. I'm looking forward to making some pens out of the piece of water pipe - I'm in the water business so will enjoy giving some to my coworkers.

Robert, the third photo of pens above is mine. I spoke to several people about my plexiglass finish. I might be willing to give a brief demo at the next meeting if anyone is interested.

Mike

watchman7

My first meeting and it was a blast. Got to talk with some really good pen turners and picked up a few tips and tricks. Mike_In_Atlanta gave me a personal tutorial on the plexiglass finish and I think it would be a great demo for a future meeting.

Robert (rojo22) coordinated everything superbly. Only problem was he kept drawing his own name out of the box for prizes (just teasing). He and Robin really went the extra mile for this meeting.

The pen swap was excellent. I got lucky and had my name drawn with Ron Hampton for the pen swap. Boy did I hit the jackpot! I gave Ron two pens, well really one pen and a tool kit pen and he gave me a bag of stuff. In it was an excellent rhodium wallstreet with seafoam acrylic, three nice wood blanks, and three of Ron's homebrew PR blanks. Thanks again Ron.

I was blessed to have my name drawn for one of the Kallenshaan kits. Thanks Ken for supporting this chapter.

Bruce Boone showed up about mid-meeting and he only brought one pen. But what a pen it was! He had one of his Zirconium Puzzle pens and it is absolutely amazing. It is like the one pictured on his website (might be the same one). This is a $2500.00 dollar pen and it certainly looks and feels like it when you hold it in your hand. It is difficult to describe how beautiful that pen is.

There was a Q and A discussion about pricing and marketing that was very informative. The experts Robert, Jerry, Bruce, and Perry gave us some good ideas.

Finally, I can't say enough about the Woodcraft folks. The meeting space they gave us was perfect and there was even a discout extended on anything pruchased. We should support them whenever we can.

Thanks IAP Southeast Chapter.

Fred

I want to tell you all that I missed the meeting due to some medical complications, but I was there in spirit! Sounds like you all had a blast as usual and that there was fun to be had by everyone judging from the pictures.

Thanks to Steve, Dave, and the rest of the great gang that works at Woodcraft for allowing the meeting to be held in the store. :biggrin:

Rojo22

Local Chapter Leader
We missed ya Fred! ...but we felt your spirit there with us!

We had a ball!

For those who wanted the Ownership Certificate template that I use, please PM me. I have sent out a copy to those that I remember asking, but you know how that goes when you get older.....Just send me a PM and I will forward it out to you.

mick

Sorry I didn't make the meeting guys. I had every intention of being there but a rather large "had to get finish" project stretched out into Saturday. Robert I'll get your molds to you if you'll PM me an address. Looked at the pictures and realized, "gosh I missed being there!"

Rojo22

Local Chapter Leader
MICK

We missed being able to show off all of the things we created using you fool proof techniqes! Again from the entire group, we thank you for instilling the knowledge to do PR pours, and the courage to get us to try it.

No problem on the molds, if you want you can bring them next time, or if you PM me, I will send you some money, and my address, and you can send them over to me. No big deal or rush.

Hope your project turned out great!

Robert

The Deviathan

Rojo the fifth kit is mine. I would like to thank you and everyone who was there. That was my first meeting and it was great. It got me so excited that I made a pen after I got home.

Rojo22

Local Chapter Leader
Deviathan

Thanks for identifying the kit! We enjoy each and every one of the meeting, as we meet really great folks, and yes, you suffered one of the side effects of the meeting......LOL....We look forward to seeing everyone in September (19th).

Thanks

Robert

Top Bottom