Seventh Southeast Chapter Meeting

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rojo22

Local Chapter Leader
Sorry guys, the new job is really keeping me busy. The next meeting will be on Saturday, June 5th, 2010. The regular hours of 9:30am till whenever.

I would like to see what people are looking for as far as demo's go. We had some good ideas at the last meeting. Please put some suggestions under this thread, and I will try and arrange for the demos!

Steve Busey

How about a "show and tell" - folks can pick their most challenging pen from their display, and tell what they did to overcome those challenges, or share a new technique they've used to achieve their results.

Gary Beasley

Darn, I'm going to miss the meet! Made plans and got time off to drive to Arkansas to see my mother, then check the calendar and see it coincides with the meet weekend.
Take plenty of pictures will ya and post them?

Rojo22

Local Chapter Leader
Sorry everyone, its been very busy around here with work and all. So I have not had ANY suggestions on what we want for this meeting, so you all may have to listen to me prattle on again about stuff. I have a demo that I did for the scroll saw club here in Atlanta, and I will be happy to do the demo for our club (it involves pens), and also I just got in the resin saver molds, so we can do a mold pour if anyone wants to see that.

I also want to discuss the multiple personalities that have been responding to each other (or the same person....LOL). I am glad Steve, and all his other voices will be there! I like him (them) have not been able to do much in the way of pen turning, so I hope to see some stuff there as well!!!!!

Look forward to seeing everyone there!!

Steve Busey

So I have not had ANY suggestions on what we want for this meeting

Oh, my "show-and-tell" idea was not a valid suggestion? Harrumph! I'll just take all my imaginary friends and go home! :tongue:

I also want to discuss the multiple personalities that have been responding to each other (or the same person....LOL).

To paraphrase an old Robin Williams bit:

Steve: I'd like to take a few minutes to talk about my favorite subject, schizophrenia...
Steve: No it isn't!
Steve: Shut up - let him talk!!

Got to go - the voices in my head told me to clean all the guns today... :bulgy-eyes:

leestoresund

I've got resin saver molds for Wall Street etc and for Baron etc. that I can bring. Along with some Alumilite and PR and some colors.

I've also seen plans for making molds with silicon. How about making some molds?
Of course it would all be first time attempts.
Lee

tstagl

Demo suggestions

Just wondering how many other folks might like to see some info on the pros and cons of the various finishing methods. Being fairly new to the sport, I've tried a few methods with varying degrees of success in both beauty and in durability. Maybe some of the veteran pen turners could share their knowledge.

Rojo22

Local Chapter Leader
Steve, et al. we would love to have the open forum session that you suggested. We could all talk about projects, the difficulties, and such. We can hold that right after the morning demo, and take up till lunch.

We would love to talk about finishes as well, so if you see someone, let them know you want to know what finish they use...LOL.....

See everyone there on the 5th. If you havent read the note for this weekends Pen Turning for the troops at Woodcraft SUNDAY AND MONDAY, please go over and read the new thread. We will be turning pens for the troops. JUST SHOW UP AND TURN SOME PENS WITH US, this is for a SUPER cause!!!!

I would love to mess around with the silicon idea, maybe the September meeting we will ask everyone to bring in the stuff to make it, and we can all give it a try!! Great idea.

Steve Busey

Dang! Gotta bail on the meeting. :frown: Am needed up in Dallas, GA for a work day on our retreat center. Rats, I was really hoping for a pen fix! Oh well, have fun without me!

Russell Eaton

Brooks803 the meeting will be at Woodcraft. If you don't know where it is Google the store nearest you. I don't think I will be able to make it either. I have a some work going on at my house that I need to be there for. Sorry I will try hard to be at the next one. Russell

Russell Eaton

OK I lied. It was good to be able to see everybody at the meeting today. Even if I was LATE. Sorry Robert, just give me a tardy slip and I will take my punishment. I did enjoy the segmenting show and tell. Thanks again, Russell

Gary Beasley

Wish I could have made it, but I did score a couple of bags of long needle pinecones from my son in Carrolton. Apparently theres some trees near the campus he caretakes at. He also has one in his yard though it doesn't bear many cones yet. I'll be making a few soon!

papaturner

Yes, it is true the seventh Southeast Chapter Meeting is now history and Russell did lie he really was there with some awesome pens.:biggrin:

Thanks again to Robert and Robin for all the work they do it was a great meeting. Not only the seeing of all the great turners and learning from them but Robert did a couple of great show and tells.

As always thanks to Woodcraft for the use of the teaching room.

Good to see all you good folk.

cbjax

Would like to echo papaturner!!
Great job in making the arrangements and then for the discussions and demos.
Thanks Robert & Robin.
Charles

BKelley

I enjoyed the meeting on the 5th, the segmenting program was great. Now I have to make room for a scroll saw. Sorry I had to leave early, but wife said new drapes had to be hung. Thanks everyone and I look forward to next meeting

Rojo22

Local Chapter Leader
Pictures! Finally! It did really happen!

Ok, it really did happen! We had a great meeting, despite a lighter than normal turn out. We missed some of the regulars! I will post the information for the next two meetings shortly.

Attachments

• Crowd2 small.jpg
    Crowd2 small.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 159
  • Group Photo small.jpg
    Group Photo small.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 169
  • Pen Kit small.jpg
    Pen Kit small.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 167
  • Howards kit small.jpg
    Howards kit small.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 173
  • Crowd Small.jpg
    Crowd Small.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 167

Rojo22

Local Chapter Leader
Even more proof that some people were actually there!

Despite the smaller crowd, we had some great discussion on both segmenting and pouring PR.

If you dont own any Resin Saver molds, I dont know a faster or easier way to cast stuff with the barrels already in it. You want to talk about quality, this stuff is spectacularly made, and great customer service!

We poured around fabric, plastic and paper. So far so good, havent turned one of them yet, but they look fantastic. The pen with the soft drink label is a gift to my sister in law, and is a recycled label from a 20 oz beverage.

Attachments

• after the pour small.jpg
    after the pour small.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 158
  • Bubbles small.jpg
    Bubbles small.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 155
  • Ice Cube Tray pic small.jpg
    Ice Cube Tray pic small.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 150
  • Pouring Demo small.jpg
    Pouring Demo small.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 155
  • Resin Saver pic small.jpg
    Resin Saver pic small.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 159

Rojo22

Local Chapter Leader
Even more fun with segmenting!

Well you guys know I like cutting wood into little pieces and then putting it all back together......LOL.....

The look on the guys at the Woodcraft store was priceless when we dragged the scroll saw out instead of the lathe.......

Attachments

• Scroll Saw Demo2 small.jpg
    Scroll Saw Demo2 small.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 165
  • Scroll Saw small.jpg
    Scroll Saw small.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 158
  • Scroll Saw Demo3 small.jpg
    Scroll Saw Demo3 small.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 162
  • Scroll Saw Demo small.jpg
    Scroll Saw Demo small.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 160
  • Segmenting Sled small.jpg
    Segmenting Sled small.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 151
Last edited:

Rojo22

Local Chapter Leader
More stuff!

Some Pen Kits!

Attachments

• Perry Kit2 small.jpg
    Perry Kit2 small.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 153
  • Perry Kit Small.jpg
    Perry Kit Small.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 153
  • Pen Kit small.jpg
    Pen Kit small.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 156
  • Howards kit small.jpg
    Howards kit small.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 144
  • Woodburning a pen small.jpg
    Woodburning a pen small.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 157

Rojo22

Local Chapter Leader
Some more stuff

Ok, who let the scary guy in.....

Attachments

• Godzilla impression small.jpg
    Godzilla impression small.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 158
  • segments small.jpg
    segments small.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 150
  • Segmenting Stuff small.jpg
    Segmenting Stuff small.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 150
  • Desk Set small.jpg
    Desk Set small.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 148

leestoresund

Eighth meeting

Looking forward to September I have successfully made a mold using GE (not quite) clear silicone.

Now to refine the process.

Lee

leestoresund

There'a a company down near ATL called The Engineer Guy. He sells Mold Max 30 (the stuff resin savers are made from) and Dragon Skin 30 a similar mold making product.

I bought a set of each and will let you know how the mold making works.

Lee

Top Bottom