Rare woods in Atlanta?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rojo22

Local Chapter Leader
Steve

This place has been around a LOOOONNNGGGG time. Mr Carlton passed away a few years back, and handed off the place to one of the guys that worked with him for many years. I have not been over there in many years, but it is always a treat to go over and see what is laying around. I would recommend not taking the Lexus or Mercedes to pick your wood up, or dress like a million bucks...LOL...the price of your wood changes based on what you drive in....LOL....

Robert

monophoto

Gee - it's just around the corner from my old 'home away from home' on North Avenue, and I never knew it was there.

But the story triggers a thought - back in August, wife and I were in California and went to a farmer's market in Mountain View. Got into a conversation with a guy selling soap, who mentioned a company in Berkeley that he found to be another classic toy store for aficionados of exotic wood - McBeath Hardwoods. (The link between soap and wood is that he also had some hardwood soap dishes that he made as a sideline/hobby.)

And about five miles from our current home there is Curious Woods.

I wonder how many unheralded specialty wood purveyors there are out there?

robutacion

Geezz, they even have Australian woods I have never heard about...!:eek:
I wish I was closer, I would certainly would go and have a good look...!

Thank for the link, It will help me considerable, having those timber pics...!

Cheers
George

Rojo22

Local Chapter Leader
If you are up in New York, another AWESOME place for veneer is Certainly Wood. I know folks who buy tons of wood from them, and it is quick, they have awesome discounts on the prices, and the wood you get is very nice to work with.

Fred

For those of us fortunate to live in/near the Atlanta area, out in Stone Mountain is Mark Sillay. He has thousands of burls from all over the world in the warehouse and shares the space with Lee Tree Works.

They are just before Stone Mountain Industrial and off of Ponce de Leon if one is coming from Clarkston. Or, from I-285 go east on Hwy 78, exit at Stone Mountain Industrial and turn right. Go to Ponce de Leon and turn right, then first left off Ponce. Look on the right for the company name. I t is in the second warehouse building from the railroad tracks.

http://www.marksillay.com/Mark_Sillay/HOME.html - Main website

http://www.gwinnettwoodworkers.com/component/k2/item/323-mark-sillay-turner-wood-supplier - This site has several recent photographs of the warehouse and shop area.

Top Bottom