An inquiry - Page 3 - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members
 
Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Welcome to penturners.org! > Local Chapters > Georgia
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Georgia (Formerly the Southeast US chapter)


Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2016, 05:47 PM   #21 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Milford, Delaware 19963
Posts: 12,822
Photos: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jttheclockman View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty37 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Busey View Post
I have a customer that MAY be interested in 150-200 laser engraved Jr Gent II pens with a CA finish. I could do them, but it would take me about a year with the limited shop time I have. :(

So I wonder what some of you Georgia IAP folks might charge me, if I give you the tubes and the wood, to return turned and finished barrels (no assembly). And how many you could easily produce in a month or so.

For consistency in the product, I'll be using the Stickfast Wood Finishing CA kit, with one coat of thin and 5-6 coats of medium.

The customer may come to the April meeting to see some of your sample CA finishes, if you're interested.

Think about it, ask any questions. Not on a firm timeline, but looking at options.
Every time I see a thread like this i get a chuckle and I think "Ask what time it is in an IAP forum and someone will tell you how to build a wrist watch". I think this is a pretty straight forward question. Sounds like the material is wood - provided by Steve, tubes provided, turner drills, insets tubes, turns and finishes (as Steve wants them finished). Steve asked for a ball park figure to do that. Seems pretty simple to me.

I think there is more involved than meets the eye.
I don't - he didn't ask for 'locked in' quotes. Anyone should be able to look at that an say I can do that or decide they can't. This stuff is not rocket science.
__________________
Smitty37
Passing from this life is not the end - it's the beginning
.
Smitty37 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 03-05-2016, 11:22 PM   #22 (permalink)
 
jttheclockman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: NJ, USA.
Photos: 73

Default

Again Smitty you and I differ. Just because some one asks a question we are not allowed to bring up points that maybe they did not consider??? I think valid points were made. I did not hear any quotes how about that. ???? Maybe he got his answers via PM. I see no $$$$$$ values being thrown around here. Not sure anyone said anything about building rockets either. But your general statement about every time people ask questions someone tells them how to build the watch is off base to me. By the way if you want to know how to build a watch Smitty I am your guy. I will give you precise details.
__________________
John T.
jttheclockman is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 03-05-2016, 11:59 PM   #23 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Milford, Delaware 19963
Posts: 12,822
Photos: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jttheclockman View Post
Again Smitty you and I differ. Just because some one asks a question we are not allowed to bring up points that maybe they did not consider??? I think valid points were made. I did not hear any quotes how about that. ???? Maybe he got his answers via PM. I see no $$$$$$ values being thrown around here. Not sure anyone said anything about building rockets either. But your general statement about every time people ask questions someone tells them how to build the watch is off base to me. By the way if you want to know how to build a watch Smitty I am your guy. I will give you precise details.
I'll never ask you what time it is. BtW I have built a few clocks but not the movements although I have worked on a couple enough to know I would never have made a living as a clock maker or watchmaker.

Personally I just think that a number of people here make every question more complicated than it needs to be. As far as $$$ here I would expect if anyone mentioned them it would have been by PM rather than in the public forum.
__________________
Smitty37
Passing from this life is not the end - it's the beginning
.
Smitty37 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Advertisement
Old 03-06-2016, 01:33 PM   #24 (permalink)
 
Steve Busey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Marietta, GA.
Posts: 1,134
Photos: 2

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty37 View Post
I think this is a pretty straight forward question. Sounds like the material is wood - provided by Steve, tubes provided, turner drills, insets tubes, turns and finishes (as Steve wants them finished). Steve asked for a ball park figure to do that. Seems pretty simple to me.
I thought so, too, Smitty. Had an opportunity for some of my local peeps to do some side work, and folks from all over the country pop up on the thread to question what's going on! I'm not looking for formal quotes here on this thread, but by planting the seed here, it will be easier to bring it up at next month's meeting.
__________________
Steve \o/
All proceeds from my pen sales go to benefit The Community School in Decatur, GA
Steve Busey is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 03-06-2016, 04:38 PM   #25 (permalink)
 
jttheclockman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: NJ, USA.
Photos: 73

Default

I will be honest with you Steve. I never looked at what forum this was asked in. Just saw the question and jumped in. I never pay attention to different forums to give help. So forget all I said and do what you have to. I will pay more attention to the forums i look in on. Hope you get 100 people jump on board and they all can do 2 pens. Good luck. Sorry about barging in. Maybe Smitty will make some pens for you. He is concerned for your well being.
__________________
John T.
Likes: (1)
jttheclockman is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 03-06-2016, 04:44 PM   #26 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Saskatoon SK., Canada.
Posts: 2,482
Photos: 1

Default

Ditto to what John said.
__________________
Pete
Proud to be the support staff and enabler of Marla Christensen.
Curly is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 03-06-2016, 07:43 PM   #27 (permalink)
 
Steve Busey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Marietta, GA.
Posts: 1,134
Photos: 2

Default

No worries, John. Nice to see folks taking in the full IAP experience!
__________________
Steve \o/
All proceeds from my pen sales go to benefit The Community School in Decatur, GA
Steve Busey is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 03-06-2016, 11:08 PM   #28 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Milford, Delaware 19963
Posts: 12,822
Photos: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jttheclockman View Post
I will be honest with you Steve. I never looked at what forum this was asked in. Just saw the question and jumped in. I never pay attention to different forums to give help. So forget all I said and do what you have to. I will pay more attention to the forums i look in on. Hope you get 100 people jump on board and they all can do 2 pens. Good luck. Sorry about barging in. Maybe Smitty will make some pens for you. He is concerned for your well being.
JT Smitty gets people to turn pens for him. I can't spend a whole lot more time turning than you can.,,lungs don't like it.
__________________
Smitty37
Passing from this life is not the end - it's the beginning
.
Smitty37 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:38 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

Content Copyright © 2003-2016 by Penturners.org, LLC; All Rights Reserved
Terms Of Service   Acceptable Use Policy