Inaugural Meeting of the Southeast Chapter!!!!!!!!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rojo22

Local Chapter Leader
Again, I apologize for the delay in getting this out, but we have some exciting news for the club! I spoke to the owner and manager of the Woodcraft store in Atlanta, and we are scheduled and confirmed to have our inaugural meeting for the Southeast Chapter on December 20th!

CLEAR YOUR SCHEDULES FOR DECEMBER 20th!

If you have not visited the new store, IT IS AMAZING! The classroom/meeting room is spectacular! There are 8 Jet lathes, and room for 50 people to meet in the new rooms. The folks at Woodcraft are very excited about hosting this event. I am also excited about the potential to network with other Woodcraft stores in the Southeast. Yes, this has not been formalized or confirmed yet, but there is a potential to take the show on the road, to a store near YOU (Birmingham, Jacksonville Florida, Greenville to mention a few)! This is part of the concept to keep the meetings moving around the Southeast, to give other further out members a chance to "host" the club meetings. We will work on this concept a little more with the help of the folks at the Woodcraft store in Atlanta.

MEETING DETAILS:

Date: SATURDAY DECEMBER 20th, 2008
Hours: 9am to 6pm (Store hours, but the party could last later away from the store!)
Venue: Training class and Meeting room
Equipment Available: 8 Jet lathes, and other woodworking equipment

Food: I was thinking of getting something together for a lunch to be brought in for us and for the store employees to enjoy. Breakfast will probably be some type of donut affair. Dinner will depend on how folks feel after a day of turning!

If you need any other information, please contact me. This event will be discussed more during the Board meeting, which is looking more and more like November 15th. More details to be circulated as they become available.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

kabatc

The new store is on the same road (Holcomb Br) but on the other side (new store on the east side) of GA400. From the old store to the new store is only about 4 miles.

Moderator delete this if my info is incorrect.

-Kurt
Marietta, GA

Last edited:

davinci27

I'm in. What type of stuff are we going to do. I'd love to see some folks bring some of their pens and other turnings. I'd like to look at varous things people do.

Fred

For those of you not all that familiar with the area the new location is east of the old location headed towards the Norcross area.

From GA Hwy 400 travel east on Holcomb Bridge Road +/- 4 miles away from the old place. On the right is the Rivermont Square Shopping Center. Another landmark is the Steinmart store that is right next to Woodcraft.

The address is 8560 Holcomb Bridge Road and the telephone number is (770) 587-3372. IF you cross over the Chattahoochee River you have gone about 3/4 mile to far. Turn around and come back up the hill and be looking to your left for 8560... For whatever reason the street numbers get larger when traveling from GA 400 THEN they suddenly start getting smaller just about the area where the new store is located. And Google has the address on their map as being on the right of Holcomb Bridge!

Just wait until you see the new demonstration and training centers ... there are two rooms jammed packed full of goodies to make one's mouth water. I was there yesterday and toured the place for over two hours. They have installed an Oneida dust collection system (7 HP) and have everything connected to dedicated dust collection piping. Quite impressive arrangement and just looking at the system will answer any questions one might have if you are designing one for your own shop.

They will be having a SawStop demonstration at 1:00 tomorrow (Saturday). Here they will demo once the safest way to prevent damage to a hot dog. It's actually rather neat ... expensive yes ... but neat none-the-less. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Rojo22

Local Chapter Leader
What I would like to accomplish for the inaugural meeting is:

1. Have Fun
2. Get to know our local host (Woodcraft)
3. Have Fun
4. Do pen turning demos for members and customers
5. Have Fun
6. Show off our pens and other turnings
7. Have Fun
8. Decide some of the future events/meetings for the club
9. EAT!
10. Have Fun
11. Get to meet folks in the real world
12. Get folks fired up about pen turning and increase the membership of the club
13. Say hello to old friends
14. Have Fun
15. Swap blanks, pens, advice, children or whatever else can be agreed on!
16. Turn some pens (more on this in a later post)
17. Have Fun!
18. Whatever else is FUN!

Any other recommendations or ideas are warmly welcome to be added to the list!

Steve Busey

I missed this message - saw it mentioned in another thread. I've marked my calendar! Would love to meet some other turners. How about some "CA Finish" demos?

davinci27

I hear you on the christmas thing. My wife looked at me like I was crazy when I told her I would be busy the Sat before Christmas. ;)

Steve Busey

In defense of the "too close to Christmas" thing, as Rojo pointed out, Woodcraft schedules classes on most weekends, and I'm sure this whole day was open because it was so close to Christmas and no classes were scheduled. It is a busy time for everyone. If you can make it, even for a couple hours, that would be great (I have to leave early to go pick up my mother-in-law at the airport!).

Jim Smith

Sorry I'm kind of late on finding out about this meeting. I've marked it on my calendar and I will be there.

Jim Smith
Conyers, Georgia

DocStram

Just a friendly suggestion ........ with so many people having schedule conflicts ..... is there any way possible to reschedule our get together until after the New Year?

davinci27

I don't think we should reschedule. We've already got a place to meet and several people planning to be there. I know Rojo22 has put in alot of work to get this meeting off the ground. On top of all that I'm really looking forward to meeting some of the folks off the boards.

Maybe we just look at scheduling another meeting shortly after this one. Maybe early February. The first meeting will give us an idea of what to do and what type of demonstrations people might like to see. For the second one, we can plan the demonstrations and activities based off of requests.

Ben

Top Bottom