Fourth Meeting Pics and Rundown

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rojo22

Local Chapter Leader
Congratulation to everyone, the Southeast Chapter celebrated their first anniversary Chapter meeting! Despite the downpours, traffic disasters, a turning symposium and generally poor weather conditions, we had a great turnout!

Again, I would like to thank several folks for their generosity towards the Southeast Chapter, and without their generosity, our meetings would not be as fun, or in such a nice facility. First, I would like to thank Steve and his bunch over at Woodcraft. The use of their facility for our meeting space is a wonderful gift, and what a bunch of nice folks to deal with! Second, Ken for all of the laser cut kits, nothing fires up the crowd with anticipation like giving away a super laser cut kit! Third and most important, you folks who show up with free stuff to give away, trade, or sell. Please thank those who keep our meetings interesting and fun!

I have to apologize to several people, but during the meeting, I did not get around and meet everyone or see all the kits. I have also forgot a name or two in the process of posting the pics. If your name is not mentioned for a picture, please send me a post to get your name on credit for the picture! We would like to get everyone who was there in a picture and get a name to a face! Again, no excuses, I just plain didnt do a good job of remembering everything.

Next I have to thank my better half for first putting up with all that goes with the pen turning thing! I am very happy she has also started on this fascinating journey of pen making! Thanks again for her taking the time during the meeting to document everything through pictures, and remind me of all the things that should be looked at to make a meeting successful. Thanks goes out to my Mom and Dad for supporting a crazy woodworker during his down phase!

Who was there?

Perry Bridges (papaturner), Robert Johnson (Rojo22), Steve Busey (SRB), Howard Julian (Hjulian), Mike Goetz (Watchman7), Dick Albortelli, Jerry Johnson, Robin Johnson (Mrs Rojo22), Jonathan Pendley, Jim Preston, John Bagwell (Pen_Turner), Lacie Bagwell, Brian Powell (brianp), Bill Krantz (BuffaloBill), Jessica Mayor, Russell Eaton (Russell Eaton), Bruce Andirise (bbca), Ben Brown (davinci27), Don Hamilton, Bob Snee, Constant Laubscher (Constant Laubscher), Travis Smith (GTS Garnett), Andy (twoofakind) and a few lurkers who didn't sign in, but will remain anonymous to help protect you from the HoneyDew police......

If you were supposed to be mowing the lawns or something else other than being at Woodcraft despite the torrential rains, the names were not changed to protect the innocent! Sorry!

Thanks again to everyone who makes this a success! Our next meeting will be Saturday, December 19th, so clear your calendars!

I will post some pictures from the meeting in the next few posts.

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rojo22

Local Chapter Leader
Some pictures of the crowd and intellectual discussions

Here are some shots of the crowd during the meeting:

Picture One:

Some of the early birds at the meeting included Dick and Bruce.

Picture Two:

Brian, Robert and Bruce with John and Lacie in the background.

Picture Three:

Dick, Bill, Ben, Perry and a few others awaiting the drawing for the pen swap

Picture Four:

The crowd listening to a segmentation demonstration. Perry, Ben, Jessica, Bill, Jim, Andy and John are in the shot.

Picture Five:

More shots of the segmentation crowd.

Attachments

• Crowd Shot 1 small.jpg
    Crowd Shot 1 small.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 204
  • Crowd Shot 2 small.jpg
    Crowd Shot 2 small.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 203
  • Crowd Shot 3 small.jpg
    Crowd Shot 3 small.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 213
  • Crowd Shot 4 small.jpg
    Crowd Shot 4 small.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 200
  • Crowd Shot 5 small.jpg
    Crowd Shot 5 small.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 218
Last edited:

Rojo22

Local Chapter Leader
Some shots of folks Kits

Look at all the pretty pens and other items!

Picture One:

Ben brought not only his fabulous pens, but some awesome bowls and hollow forms! The cherry burl pieces were very nicely done!

Picture Two:

Bill brought some great pens with some awesome wood selections! The plastics were impeccably finished, and my oh my look at that puzzle pen!

Picture Three:

Howard brought a good mix of kits, in some very nicely done woods! the finish on the woods was very nicely done! Did I mention I got one of these in the Pen Swap! It is a great pen Howard and I look forward to using it!

Picture Four:

Perry brought his very nicely done golf desk set! Beautiful Walnut base, and the Pen in the stand is a beauty! He had a beautiful kit as well, but we only got the top of the kits...Just a teaser, but I will tell you, it was some great stuff as always!

Picture Five:

Russell was new to the group, but brought an ubelievable kit for someone who has only been turning for nine months! Beautiful stuff, and some really interesting and creative one of a kind pens!

Picture Six:

More os Russell's pens and some great carvings! We look forward to what Russell is going to create next. A very creative pen turner.

Attachments

• Ben Kit small.jpg
    Ben Kit small.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 193
  • Bill Kit small.jpg
    Bill Kit small.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 197
  • Howard Kit small.jpg
    Howard Kit small.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 191
  • Perry Golf Pen small.jpg
    Perry Golf Pen small.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 203
  • Russel Kit small.jpg
    Russel Kit small.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 202
  • Russel Kit2 small.jpg
    Russel Kit2 small.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 190
Last edited:

Rojo22

Local Chapter Leader
Some more Kit Photos

Here are a few other kits:

Picture One:

Steve brought in his kit and as always his pens were gorgeous. Steve has one of the most diverse kits on the table when it comes to materials used, kits used and finishes! Awesome stuff.

Picture Two:

Some additional stuff from Steve. The bottle stopper had to be seen to be believed. This was done from a "cast over" container used by MICK in his PR pours. The colors were extremely interesting. I see a pendant too....I wonder if those will catch on?

Picture Three:

One of our young turners brought in a very interesting pen. Brian came in with a totally out of the box pen, that was a knock out! This is his own design from start to finish, and was full of complex problem solving solutions that turned out to be a great pen. Brian turned the body of the pen out of water pipe, and then glued the water line braided jacket over the water pipe body. He then trimmed everything up, and made some "industrial" type changes to the Cigar kit. This was a delight to see, and an example of creative problem solving during the execution of a design. Kudos go out to Brian for sticking with it and creating a great pen. The "industrial" type feel of the pen was outstanding! We hope to see some additional BRIAN ORIGINALS at future meetings.

Picture Four:

Mike brought not only a kit, but a beautiful presentation box. Mike had everything from some sumptuous woods, to some really cool home brew mixes!

Attachments

• Steve Kit small.jpg
    Steve Kit small.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 191
  • Steve Kit 2 small.jpg
    Steve Kit 2 small.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 178
  • Brian Pen small.jpg
    Brian Pen small.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 200
  • Pen Kit 2 small.jpg
    Pen Kit 2 small.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 204
Last edited:

Rojo22

Local Chapter Leader
Pen Swap Photos

The crowd was down a little at this meeting due to several factors, but the enthusiasm and spirit was bubbling over when the pen swap took place. We had 9 participants, and we all had great fun exchanging some beautiful pens! Everyone has 3 months to get a pen together for the next exchange, so I hope we can beat our record of 9 next meeting! And I have to say, those are some beautiful pen cases!

Picture One:

From Left to Right, we have the pen Perry placed in the exchange, next is Jerry's pen, next is Mike's, next is Russell's pen, and next is Roberts pen.

Picture Two:

From Left to Right, we have the pen Robin placed in the exchange, next is Ben's, next is Howard's, and next is Bill's.

Picture Three:

From Left to Right, we have some additional pics of Russell's pen, Robert's pen, Robin's pen, Ben's pen, and Howard's pen

Attachments

• Pen Swap 1 Small.jpg
    Pen Swap 1 Small.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 191
  • Pen Swap 2 small.jpg
    Pen Swap 2 small.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 179
  • Pen Swap 3 small.jpg
    Pen Swap 3 small.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 183
Last edited:

Rojo22

Local Chapter Leader
Some Other Shots

Here are a few shots from the meeting.

Picture One:

Picture of the very clever celtic knot blank that Steve did. The color laminations are cut from Constant's stabilized and dyed blanks. If you ever wondered how the blank should be created, Steve has it down to an art form. Also included is a shot of a completed blank.

Picture Two:

Some of the early birds to show up....Surprised they didnt shut the place down immediately...LOL....Ben, Perry, and Robert.

Picture Three:

We had a very segmented program this meeting! Robert gave a brief talk about segmenting and several different approaches to segmenting pens. Robert just warmed the crowd up though, as Andy took the stage and demystified the 360 Herringbone blank.

Picture Four:

Excellent job Andy!!! After several Tylenol moments in the crowd, you could almost hear the light bulbs going on over peoples head when the examples of the glue up were passed around. I want to thank Andy for the time he spent with us, and helping us understand this design in its planning stages and its execution! Great Job ANDY!!!!! I will post some pictures of the examples in the next few days. The pics of the blanks were not detailed enough due to the lighting in the shop, so we will get the light box out and take some better shots with the details highlighted better.

Attachments

• Celtic Knot Blank small.jpg
    Celtic Knot Blank small.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 197
  • Early Birds small.jpg
    Early Birds small.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 184
  • Goofball Instructor small.jpg
    Goofball Instructor small.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 176
  • Herringbone 1 small.jpg
    Herringbone 1 small.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 195
Last edited:

Rojo22

Local Chapter Leader
Constant

It was great seeing you at the meeting! So are you teasing us with a Herringbone blank that is mass produced? LOL.......Thought I would go ahead and kick the ant hill.....I look forward to turning the beautiful stabilized blanks.

Robert

papaturner

Another great one........can`t believe it has been a year.
Thanks to Woodcraft, and the great gifts from the donors.
A special thanks to Robert and Robin who does the work, thanks folk.
Great seeing all the great pens but even greater is getting to see all you folk again.
Thanks for a great meeting.

twoofakind

I wish I could have stayed longer, but I had a guy waiting on me at my house to look at a car. If anyone wants to give the HB360 a try and runs into trouble, feel free to email or call me and I will be glad to help you out.

mick

Looks as if y'all had a great meeting! Sorry I've missed these last couple of times but hopefully with our move behind us now and my shop up and running I'll be able to make the next meeting!

Russell Eaton

I realy enjoyed meeting all of you this weekend. I felt a little nervous being there for the first time. I did enjoy the pen swap and have already made the Texas flag pen for my uncle that lives in Texas. Thanks again Russell

Pen_Turner

My wife and I REALLY enjoyed the meeting!! You guys are a good group of guys (I don't care what THEY say about you lol) and ALL of you have helped me with my rookie questions. You guys are the best!!

Top Bottom