Exciting News for the Southeast Chapter

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rojo22

Local Chapter Leader
Again due to the scheduling constraints of the past month, I apologize that it has taken this long to get this announcement out. I wanted to throw some things out there, and you folks can give me some feedback on them.

Board Meeting-
I would like to get interested folks together on a conference call type setup using SKYPE within the next few weekends. I would like to throw out Novemeber 8th or 15th as potential dates. It would be sometime in the afternoon, and would strictly be voluntary. If you dont know what SKYPE is, it is a way to communicate over the web, much like using a conference phone at work, but with no cost if you are at a computer. Please post here if you would like to attend the Board Meeting.

Purpose of the Board Meeting-
Nominate a President
Nominate a Vice President
Discuss other potential appointees
Discuss membership/Events

After the Board meeting is complete, the board is dissolved, and the Nominations for Officers will be posted on the forum board and then we can let the members vote. After the voting is complete, the officers will take over the club from there.

First Meeting-

I have been talking to the guys over at Woodcraft, and they would love to see us come in, but they are moving their store these next few weeks. I would love to get the date settled with the folks over there, and make it the first meeting of the Southeast Chapter. More to come on this. For those folks out of town, we will also discuss "traveling" meetings for the club, so Atlanta will not be the only place the meetings will be held. I have an alternate place to hold the first meeting, but there wont be any woodworking equipment set up for us to use, or demo on. More to come on the first meeting.

Logo-
Been playing around with a logo, and finally got the finishing touches in an email the other day, so look for it soon. We can all vote on it, and if we like it we can keep it, if not, we can try and get something else together.

Georgia Perry International Fair-
This is very exciting news. I was contacted by the folks at the fair, and they would like to include a woodturning category next year specifically for wood pens. We are working out the details with the rules and such, but it is confirmed that pens will be a judged category next year. I talked with the coordinators, and they are very excited about pens being included. The display of these pens will be in a secured display case, and will be placed in the woodturning hallway in the main fair building. The pens will be judged by the wood turning judge, and ribbons will be given for the typical first through 4th place, and some special ribbons given for achievement awards. It is unfortunate that the Fair is only for folks from Georgia. If you have a fair in your state, I would be happy to work with them in getting something like this set up. For you Georgia folks, the rules will be made available when I get them (probably around April), but for now, know that it must be a wooden pen, no plastics or other material, other than the kit. Only pens will be allowed in the competition, so things like letter openers, desk sets, and the like, will not be allowed. I hope you folks find this as exciting as I do. A very distinguished turner named Nick Cook judged all of the wood turning competitions at the fair this year, so you know the quality of the judges is outstanding.

This is all for now till we get a few dates nailed down. Any feedback is gladly accepted, so post it out here and we will work through it!

Thanks

Robert

Fred

Robert, Thanks for the Chapter news.

A suggestion ... Could e-mail information notices be established for the Chapter and mailed out to those interested parties?

I for one guy always check my e-mail, however, I do not always have the time to read all the posts on the IAP Forum. I try to get to the Forum quite often, but sometimes it just doesn't happen to work out.

I don't always have much time to volunteer for projects and such, but if I can help you out in any way let me know. Maybe we could have a cup of java one day at one of the watering holes that would be convenient to both of us.

BTW, I live over in the gigantic area known as Tucker - out close to St. Mtn.

... Fred
e-mail is in my IAP member profile

kabatc

Thanks again for getting the ball rolling, Rojo22.

I would also like to agree with Fred's points. I would much prefer updates via email where I'm sure to see them in a timely manner.

My second child is due 11/11 so I will sit out of the board for at least a year but would be interested in any local meeting or even hosting a small group (maybe the board members) at my house.

-Kurt
Marietta, GA

Top Bottom