Eighth Southeast Chapter Meeting

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Russell Eaton

I was starting to wonder myself. As of now I have the whole month free...LOL. OK that was a bad joke. I will be keeping my eyes open and will try to make it. I hope ll of ya'll are well. Russell

Rojo22

Local Chapter Leader
Hey everyone! I have returned to a previous job, and the pace here is much more conducive to a real life.

We will have the next meeting at Woodcraft on SATURDAY, SEPTEMBER 4th, 2010. The meeting will start around 10am ish.......and go until we all decide to close up shop.

Lee was talking about possibly doing a demo on the silicone molds, and how he made a few from different products. How about it Lee, you want to do one of the demo's?

I am open to other ideas for demo's as well. If you would like to present a demo, let me know, or if you have a topic that I can get someone to talk about, let me know.

See everyone there!

Rojo22

Local Chapter Leader
I havent heard much on the demos for this meeting. Just checking in to see what people are wanting to do?

Pen swap?

Actual Turning?

Pen Blank Swaps?

Help me out here!!!

Rojo22

Local Chapter Leader
OK

So Lee is going to be doing a great demo on making molds for pens! It requires vaccuums and gooey stuff and DANGER! What else could you want!

If anyone is interested we can have a pen swap, but some of us have not been able to get to the lathe, so I will not be able to participate, but that does not mean others should not be able to!

Look forward to seeing everyone at the meeting!

Skye

Will there be a keg involved?

Eh, it's just so long of a drive to get there, we'll probably pass on this one. I like the Woodcraft meetings but liked the Bubbasville meets more. :(

PenMan1

Ah man! I was hoping to get to this meeting, but that is Labor Day Weekend. The holiday and the start of UGA football brings every relative I have to the lake for a final summer fling.

leestoresund

Excuses, excuses. But I can't really blame them.

Wait until you see what I did with Alumilite today! Pictures tomorrow. A little vacuum is a dangerous thing.

Demo is ready. One more practice session this week.

Stopped at Dick Blick Sat to check on coloring stuff. A gallon of Clear Cast is $93.00 Order going out to US Composites tomorrow. PearlEx should be here Wed. Good thing it is a long weekend.

leestoresund

OK! Another dry run last night. I sure am getting a good number of molds.
Maybe the one I make Saturday will be pretty enough.

All are functional but I could not sell them to anyone. A couple are so ugly they'd make a freight train take a dirt road.

I'm using Mold Max 30 and 40. Got it from The Engineer Guy near the airport. He sells it for the same price as Smooth-On (www.smooth-on.com) so without tax but adding shipping it will be cheaper, but not as quick, to order it online, considering the gas and time to go to the shop.

Lee

leestoresund

Dry run is probably a misnomer as the stuff is wet and gooey.
Made a mold for 3 vertical cylinders.
Learned from my mistakes and used a mold release agent (vegetable oil).
That worked great! There is hope that this weekend we can all learn something about making molds that work.

Lee

Brooks803

when and where are your meetings? I'm not far from the GA border and might be interested in stopping by if it's not too far.

We meet at the "Atlanta" Woodcraft in Alpharetta. Hope you can make it!

If it wasn't on the same day as my pen club meeting i'd take the drive out there! I wasn't sure if mine was being pushed back a week due to labor day but I got an email saying its still the 4th. Since i'm doing the demo i guess i should make it...doing the demo on how I mod majestics. Thanks for the info and hopefully I can make it to the next one!

papaturner

OK gang are there any pen swapping folk going to be at the meeting tomorrow? Inquiring minds gotta know.:biggrin:

btw Lee I`m looking forward to the mold making demo.

leestoresund

Learn from mistakes

The first mistake this afternoon was putting the mold in the car before it had set enough. The car was about 1/4" out of level. I hope it is still supple enough to settle back now that it is on a level surface.

Lee

papaturner

Time for thank yous.......Woodcraft thank you for you hospitality and generosity you are the greatest.

As always thanks to Robin and Robert for all the effort they put in each meeting. Great job.

Thanks goes out to Lee who did an outstanding job with the mold demo.
It was plain, clear and straight forward. Even I understood.:biggrin:

It was great to see all the folk and I`m already looking forward to the Dec. meeting.

Thanks again.

Rojo22

Local Chapter Leader
Great demo Lee! I am going to see about going down to the place you got your silicone and getting some to do some molds!

Thanks everyone who participated in the meeting! I will get some pictures posted later tomorrow!

leestoresund

The silicone had set too much to level but I had enough of the other, the semi-clear silicone, to fill in the bottom of the "coffer dam(n)" so it will end up being level, just a little thicker.
Thanks for the compliments.

Lee

Fred

I was doing all I could to get there, but at the very last minute my 'ride' had duties of a family nature rear up.

So, I missed yet another one, but I do trust that all had a great time that were able to get there.

Maybe in December ...

Steve Busey

Ditto on all the above comments. Labor Day weekend cut into the attendance, but it was good to see the core group there. Thanks to Lee for demystifying the mold savers. Looking forward to the December meeting already!

Came home and worked on stealing another Mick idea :biggrin:- came out good, but no time for pics yet.

Top Bottom