Day Trip out to Brooks803!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TonyL

I am not a mayonnaise guy either...had some bad experiences and could tell you what goes on at the Helmans factory - but I will not :)

TonyL

Wonderful time with great family and friends. The Brooks family made us feel like family. I only partiality turned a pen while Jonathan selflessly gave another private tutorial session on kitless penmaking. I came home with some custom blanks - they are outstanding. He is a true craftsmen and artist!

Brooks803

It was a great day! I'm glad those that could make it did. For those that didn't...my door is always open.

I didn't take any pics but there were some taken by others. I'll let them do the posting if they so wish to do so.

Rojo22

Local Chapter Leader
So the good news is, we had an extremely awesome time at Jonathon's place! The bad news is, if you were not there, you missed an extremely awesome time at Jonathon's place!

Jonathon had some of the best Bar-B-Que I have had in quite some time! The smoky pulled pork was to die for, and with some pickled onions and spicy sauce, it was magnificent! The jalapeño poppers were wrapped in thick cut bacon, and were smoked...when you ate one, it was full of smoky deliciousness, and had just enough bite at the finish to remind you that beer was created for a reason! If you don't like brussel sprouts, Jonathon can definitely change your mind. We had some brussel sprouts that were caramelized with onions and other goodies (bacon if you decided to put some on them). The baked potato salad again was fantastic...no mayo within a mile of the place...lol...Bar-B-Qued ribs, baked beans...oh my, I was almost too full to turn a pen...

So, I have taken in the kitless demo by Jonathon at least 6 times. I have taken copious notes before, and thought I really understood the process....BUT....

Having a lesson with Jonathon watching over your shoulder is awesome!! He tutored me through the entire process (twice for the body...but that's another story...LOL, but lets just say it ends with a large cracking noise....ARGH!!). I came away with a very nice kitless pen. I have made more than 5,000 pens, but this is my first kitless! Pictures will be posted later. If you don't like the style or look, that is not Jonathon's fault...LOL. I designed the pen for the big guy paw in mind...

I left Jonathon's with a wonderful pen, an aluminum pan full of Bar-B-Que goodness, and some really special memories. The hospitality shown by Jonathon and Shea was above and beyond family! Thanks to Jonathon and Shea for the food, festivities and opening their home up for the event!

Rojo22

Local Chapter Leader
Ok, pics, not the best, but it does prove I did something other than eat food.....

Attachments

• Small pen pic.png
    Small pen pic.png
    535.8 KB · Views: 207
  • Small pen pic long.jpg
    Small pen pic long.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 180

yankee1

Hi Rojo22,

I will forward you the pics that I took. Had issues getting them off my phone. lol
If there are any you can use, feel free to post them.

Rojo22

Local Chapter Leader
New pics

Everyone, thank Gwendoly for the pics! These are some of the steps we went through to get the pen posted above.

Turning the body diameter for threads, turning the grip, drilling the grip, drilling the body, some sanding in there some place....

Attachments

• body threads small.jpg
    body threads small.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 165
  • drilling the body small.jpg
    drilling the body small.jpg
    164.5 KB · Views: 160
  • grip drilling small.jpg
    grip drilling small.jpg
    139.3 KB · Views: 154
  • grip small.jpg
    grip small.jpg