Day Trip out to Brooks803!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rojo22

Local Chapter Leader
Folks

Jonathan was kind enough to offer a Saturday to come out to his "shop" and see the magical place the fairies create custom pen blanks and kitless pens!!

The date has tentatively been thrown out as April 25th. I think there is enough time to get inoculated and dewormed before heading to South Carolina!

Please by show of messages here, let us know who would be interested in participating in the trip over to Jonathan's!! We can figure out car pools and logistics once we know how many we have going over!!

Thanks

Robert

Last edited:

TonyL

Great guy! Did you see my sports blanks while you were there ? LOL

I am in and I will drive...I have a two seater though.

Brooks803

The more the merrier! I plan on putting some good eats on the smoker for lunch :eat:

That's to bad Perry! Even if you can't make it this time my door is always open to visitors!

jyreene

I'm in. I will contribute to a BBQ Bacon Explosion (unless there are people with serious heart troubles because then it would be a very bad idea but still delicious).

southernclay

It's only partially you : )

I'm very unlikely, but pens and at least two types of pig meat to be consumed I'm highly upset about it. There aren't any other dates that would change my status though. If I can swing it last minute will let y'all know!

Thanks for putting it together and Brooks thanks for having this crew over, you're a brave man!

Rojo22

Local Chapter Leader
OK, gonna finalize the date with Jonathon. We are going to head to his shop on the date that is listed above. So far we have 4 people going. If you are planning on coming, please make sure you posting here to let us know!! More details to come....

Last edited:

Brooks803

The date is set! I'll pick up something good for the smoker later next week and feed yall real good :eat:

Ty...hope you can come out early and help me get the food prepped! You're on Jalapeno popper duty this time!

Since we'll be in the shop with all sorts of things going be mindful of wearing clothes you don't mind getting messy. Also would be great if you could bring your own safety glasses! I keep several on hand, but not enough for everyone at once.

If you have a preferred turning tool feel free to bring it!

Carl Fisher

DRATS! I have our first show of the season on that weekend.

How much time do we have left before Tyson has to ship out? We need a blow out get together before he leaves.

Steve Busey

I'd love to go, but still too much work to do moving into the new house, fixing the old one to sell, rebuilding my workshop... So much to do, so little time.

Rojo22

Local Chapter Leader
Ok, so I would like to have everyone kind of follow the instructions below:

1. We would like to "start" the visit around 11am or so. It takes Jonathon about 2.5 hours to get from his place to Woodcraft. Please adjust your travel time accordingly.

2. Bring clothes that if we get a little resin/glue/dirt/metal shavings/blood/tears on that it wont matter.

3. Bring a face shield or safety glasses- and that is for lunch......just kidding....there will actually be turning going on.

4. Bring a tool (papaturner cannot make it so keep that in mind). You may actually be provided an opportunity to turn something....

Stay tuned for more updates!

TonyL

I plan to go if it is on a Saturday (28th). It's a little over 3 hours for me. I will leave at 7 am. I have a two seater - if anyone want to come. I will leave whenever Jonathan throws me out, but not after 5/6pm. If Jon wants to cook great! However, wouldn't it be easier for him (and family), if we took them out to eat? I am open to anything (as long as it is dead before I eat it) and would be delighted to contribute funds for food and supplies. For anyone who may want to drive with me, I don't drink..in case you do or want to. (And I am not looking for any gas money...happy to drive alone - just looking for someone who may need a ride. :)

Brooks803

I plan to go if it is on a Saturday (28th). It's a little over 3 hours for me. I will leave at 7 am. I have a two seater - if anyone want to come. I will leave whenever Jonathan throws me out, but not after 5/6pm. If Jon wants to cook great! However, wouldn't it be easier for him (and family), if we took them out to eat? I am open to anything (as long as it is dead before I eat it) and would be delighted to contribute funds for food and supplies. For anyone who may want to drive with me, I don't drink..in case you do or want to. (And I am not looking for any gas money...happy to drive alone - just looking for someone who may need a ride. :)

It is on Saturday the 25th (not 28th). Come as early as you want and stay as late as you want.

I appreciate the offer to go out to dinner, but I honestly would rather feed yall. I enjoy cooking.

Ok, so I would like to have everyone kind of follow the instructions below:

1. We would like to "start" the visit around 11am or so. It takes Jonathon about 2.5 hours to get from his place to Woodcraft. Please adjust your travel time accordingly.

2. Bring clothes that if we get a little resin/glue/dirt/metal shavings/blood/tears on that it wont matter.

3. Bring a face shield or safety glasses- and that is for lunch......just kidding....there will actually be turning going on.

4. Bring a tool (papaturner cannot make it so keep that in mind). You may actually be provided an opportunity to turn something....

Stay tuned for more updates!

We'll be getting a little messy folks....my shop is your shop. If you want to cast some resin...I'll set you up. If you want to turn something...I've got 2 lathes and enough tooling for both to go at the same time. Should be plenty of fun to go around!

Oh...my address might be helpful huh?

174 Mossy Tree Lane
Aiken, SC 29803

For those that are coming out...if you want to send me a PM I can give you my cell# so you can call if you're needing directions, etc.

Rojo22

Local Chapter Leader
If you are going to Jonathons and have not posted yet, please do. Looks like we have about 5 of us going over right now. I will be leaving directly from my house, and will not be carpooling, but if folks want to meet up somewhere to save gas, please post here.

Remember we are going over to south Carolina, so:

1. Have all your shots
2. Don't bring books with words in them
3. Bring your Visa's to get in and out
4. See the above post for other stuff to bring!

Looking forward to coming over Saturday!!

TonyL

I plan to go, I am taking my car, a two seater. I won't accept any gas money, but I don't plan on staying very late. I live in Alpharetta. I don't drink, in case you want to.

Brooks803

If you are going to Jonathons and have not posted yet, please do. Looks like we have about 5 of us going over right now. I will be leaving directly from my house, and will not be carpooling, but if folks want to meet up somewhere to save gas, please post here.

1. Have all your shots

I'm just across the Savannah River so if you want to avoid all the border patrol hassle I know a reliable Coyote that could get you across the border :clown:

jyreene

1. Have all your shots

I'm just across the Savannah River so if you want to avoid all the border patrol hassle I know a reliable Coyote that could get you across the border :clown:

And for a low low fee I can distract him while you steal his pens for me.

Also, SC is not a reciprocity state for those coming from GA.

Rojo22

Local Chapter Leader
Yankee1

We are planning on spending the day over at Jonathon's, starting about 11am till we get the boot! We so far have one multiple car opportunity, so check with TonyL and see if you can work something out. The rest of the crew look like they are driving over solo.

Coyote's involved.....this is getting more interesting by the post...lol....

Brooks803

Directions

I'm sure most people will be using GPS to get to the house, BUT just in case a phone dies or the signal gets lost here are the directions from Atl to my house.

Take I-20 East towards Augusta

Take Exit 196A for I-520 East

Take Exit 16 and turn right then go to the end of the road (.5 miles)

Turn Right and stay on Sand Bar Ferry Rd for 3 miles. The road will fork (there's a gas station with a McDonalds) and you need to be in the RIGHT lane.

(IF you happen to miss the right fork don't worry. The left lane will take you to the same place. Only you'll stay on Hwy 278 for 4 miles and then turn RIGHT on Silver Bluff Rd (there's a Red light at the intersection). Go 1 mile and Mossy Tree Lane will be on the LEFT)

Take the Right fork and stay on Hwy 125 for 4 miles.

Turn LEFT on Silver Bluff Road (Hwy 302) and go for 2 miles.

Turn RIGHT on Mossy Tree Lane and my house is the 2nd on the right. Yellow 2 story with the horse pasture and barn up front. You can't miss it.

If anyone wants my Cell# to call if you get lost please PM me and I'll give it to you.

Last edited:

jyreene

I'm sure most people will be using GPS to get to the house, BUT just in case a phone dies or the signal gets lost here are the directions from Atl to my house.

Take I-20 East towards Augusta

Take Exit 196A for I-520 East

Take Exit 16 and turn right then go to the end of the road (.5 miles)

Turn Right and stay on Sand Bar Ferry Rd for 3 miles. The road will fork (there's a gas station with a McDonalds) and you need to be in the RIGHT lane.

(IF you happen to miss the right fork don't worry. The left lane will take you to the same place. Only you'll stay on Hwy 278 for 4 miles and then turn RIGHT on Silver Bluff Rd (there's a Red light at the intersection). Go 1 mile and Mossy Tree Lane will be on the LEFT)

Take the Right fork and stay on Hwy 125 for 4 miles.

Turn LEFT on Silver Bluff Road (Hwy 302) and go for 2 miles.

Turn RIGHT on Mossy Tree Lane and my house is the 2nd on the right. Yellow 2 story with the horse pasture and barn up front. You can't miss it.

If anyone wants my Cell# to call if you get lost please PM me and I'll give it to you.

Man, I've been going to the wrong house this whole time. No wonder they always call the cop when I'm in their garage.

and I will not make it.. something about the 1500 miles each way I am thinking I would be late ... and late for work the following Monday

But then I'd have someone else from Littleton there to keep me company instead of just trying to understand all this southern speak!

Rojo22

Local Chapter Leader
Ok everyone, most of the details have been completed! Everyone will descend upon Jonathon's workshop around 11am or so. Lunch is planned between 12 and 1pm. If you would like to drink something specifically, bring a cooler with ice and your "beverages". I plan on bringing some cokes, and possibly something sweet for dessert.

It will be raining pretty heavy tomorrow on the trip out to the workshop, so please be careful!

I have read the directions, and there was no mention of a coyote......

See everyone there!!

Brooks803

I would be happy to brink diet soda and bottled water. May I bring that?

I'll have plenty of bottled water. So if you want a diet soda feel free to bring it.

Yeah the weather forecast is calling for rain tomorrow. So I'm doing the majority of the cooking today. Pork butts are going on the smoker in a few mins once I get the temp set.

TonyL

I don't have a cooler that will fit in my car...I will buy ice locally. Can I bring anything else?

Brooks803

potato salad, cole slaw, baked beans (it will have bacon cooked into it but can be picked out), and roasted brussel sprouts and carrots. Oh, and jalapeno poppers (wrapped in bacon but only cream cheese and green onion inside).

Top Bottom