32nd Chapter Meeting

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

reddwil

Our Next meeting will be held Saturday, September 17th at our host facility WoodCraft from 10 am until 2pm.

I read in the post for the last meeting that we had a request for a demo on Finals. That's one i would be interested in learning myself. So I think Warren was volunteered, Correct me if I'm wrong Warren.

Any other Ideas and volunteers would be greatly appreciated.

Looks Forward to seeing everyone soon.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

southernclay

Dangit I'm out of town......I promise I'm going to see yall again one day. Next meeting I'm able to make I'll do the custom finial demo and I can bring down the Drill Doctor and do a quick demo on it as well and sharpen a few bits for some folks. Unfortunately won't be this one. Yall have fun!

reddwil

Dangit I'm out of town......I promise I'm going to see yall again one day. Next meeting I'm able to make I'll do the custom finial demo and I can bring down the Drill Doctor and do a quick demo on it as well and sharpen a few bits for some folks. Unfortunately won't be this one. Yall have fun!

Warren, I'm sorry to say, but your loyalty and devotion the club has been called into question. This will result in you being required to do a demo at every meeting you do show up for :)

southernclay

Warren, I'm sorry to say, but your loyalty and devotion the club has been called into question. This will result in you being required to do a demo at every meeting you do show up for :)

With friends like y'all! : )

Can't say I don't deserve it! I'll either keep not showing up or have something small fly off the lathe at everybody one day to get outta demo duty!

TonyL

I suggested that demo (perhaps there were others that I am not aware of). I will be there and looking forward to it!

Thank you.

reddwil

Hey Guys, Our next meeting is getting close. I had planned to attempt a finial demo but due to a freak accident Tuesday in which I received 3rd degree burns on my left hand and wrist, I won't be doing any turning for a while. If someone would like to do the turning, I can walk us through the process. I would graciously ask that if someone has a demo of some sort they would be willing to do to please let me know. Repeat demos are fine. . One that i personally would love to see is turning of the cast mini pine cone blanks. I have tried several and have yet to get one to survive.

As a Follow up, I did talk with Constant regarding the pen we designed. He has been extremely busy and working double shifts which has not allowed him time to work on it. Although he assures me he will get to it soon.

Thanks to everyone

eharri446

Kent,

Sorry to hear about your accident. I am hoping that you are doing okay. I know how nasty burns can be and hope that everything heals up okay.

I hope to see you on the 17th.​

southernclay

Hate to miss it, Kent get well man! Next meeting I'm able to make I'll be happy to do finial as well as bring in a drill doctor. I can do a closed end demo sometime as well maybe using one of Rick Herrel's pin chucks.

We've got a lot of talented folks in the group, plenty of demos that can be done.

Now if I can just make a meeting! Haha

reddwil

Tony and I talked for a while tonight regarding Demo's. One of the things we discussed was not wanting to bore folks with certain type demos, like basic turning finishing and so on. When I became a Manager some 27 years ago, one of the things I always tell my employees is that if you do you job everyday you should come back at the end of the day and have learned something. We deal with a multitude of contractors. Each has their on way to accomplish the same end result.

Woodworking and Penturning is the same way. We each have our own ways of doing it. Any number of us could get up and do a casting demo and I guarantee we each would learn something from the other that we would take back and use. My point is we all have something to teach. We all have the ability to learn. So regardless of how boring or basic you think a demo may be we will learn something. Some of the most valuable information for me has stemmed for conversations among the group during demos. Folks telling how they do it. Each and every meeting we have, I am always impressed with the quality and workmanship each of you have. Now we just need guys and gals to share it.

Thanks

Last edited:

TonyL

I can do the Chinese lazer engraver thing with a CA finish or without?

I am happy just seeing the folks, looking at pens, and going to Chik-fil-a for lunch. I am only good for the morning session, but if any one wants the time to demo something else - feel free. See you folks then! I have my 35th in NY next May. Enjoy!

Steve Busey

I can do the Chinese lazer engraver thing with a CA finish or without?

I'm not sure if this is a statement, or a question, but I'll toss in: if you want to have a pen laser engraved, I always encourage folks to have them finished. You'll get a much crisper engraving than if you engrave and then finish.

That is all...

reddwil

One week, and I can't wait to see everyone. Right now we have TonyL Scheduled to do some demos. As my hand is still on the mend, I will plan to do a demo at our next meeting on finals. We still have plenty of opportunities for folks to do demos.

We also have some great door prizes offered for this meeting. So if anyone has anything they would like to donate please let me know and bring it along.

TonyL

I am going to do waterless sanding/finish on CA (on wood) and/or acrylic blank and I will bring my Chinese laser engraver. I can do both in the am. I will just need a 1015 or larger..something with a 2MT. Looking forward to see all. Even if you don't like my demos...folks seemed to be amused by what you guys call my ever so slight Queens/Brooklyn accent. :).

corgicoupe

We'll have to talk about our reunions at the next meeting, Tony. Mine was a few miles East of yours, on the South Shore, in Freeport.

Top Bottom