21st Georgia Chapter Meeting

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rojo22

Local Chapter Leader
I am proud to announce that the 21st Chapter meeting will be held at Woodcraft in Roswell on December 28th, 2013 from 10am to around 3pm. This date has been confirmed with the location!

Location information:
8560 Holcomb Bridge Rd., Suite 115
Alpharetta, GA 30022
Phone: (770) 587-3372
Fax: (770) 587-9068

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rojo22

Local Chapter Leader
Need Demo Ideas for our meeting!!!

OK everyone, I would like to hear what we would like for the demos during this meeting! Let me know what we can do!

larryc

This will be the first meeting I have been able to attend in quite some time due to previous commitments.
I would like to see a demonstration of application of CA on a pen blank using closed cell foam.

southernclay

I will try to make this. I'm new to turning and never been to one of these before. What should I expect, should I bring anything? Thanks!
Warren

jbo_c

Hoping to give my son the tools he needs to turn pens for Christmas. Timing for this might be perfect for us.

Jbo

Steve Busey

Great plan, Robert - 3 days AFTER Christmas - gives everyone a chance to buy those tools & supplies that Santa didn't put under the tree!

Someday I'd like to put together a video of how the laser engraver works for pens & miscellaneous, if anyone's interested (too big to bring the actual laser - it's about the size of a washing machine, and needs outside ventilation...).

Should be pretty easy to come up with a CA demo, closed foam or otherwise. Probably too late for a Christmas ornament demo. Just sayin'...

Rojo22

Local Chapter Leader
Probably too late for a Christmas ornament demo. Just sayin'...

Yes it is too late for Christmas Ornaments....LOL...

You have seen through my thinly veiled plan to get everyone in the store loaded up with the gift cards they got during Christmas!

For you new folks, the only thing you need to bring to the meeting is your self. Occasionally we have a pen swap and blank swap or we bring stuff to trade or give away, so bring what you want!

Brooks803

Hi guys! Looks like the stars have aligned to where I'm free that weekend! So I'll be driving out for the meeting. Robert, if you'd be kind enough to forward my paperwork to the proper officials I'd appreciate it.

I'd be happy to do a demo if you need me. I could also add a bit to the ca finish demo by showing my flame finish technique. That'd only take 10-20mins so I can do more if needed.

Looking forward to seeing everyone again! I've honestly missed you guys this year.

turncrazy43

It will be great to see Jonathon again. Maybe he could do a pour demo for us again as well as the flame CA demo. Saw his utube on that but In person will be great.

Steve, look forward any video on your machine at work. See ya on the 28th.

Rojo22

Local Chapter Leader
Robert, if you'd be kind enough to forward my paperwork to the proper officials I'd appreciate it.

I spoke to the governor and the health department, and they have given two thumbs up! You are good to come over!

Jonathon, we would love having you come over and do a demo. We will sign you up for the CA finish demo, and you can have the rest of the hour and half doing whatever you would like to do. Let us know so we can promote you!!

If anyone would like to volunteer for another demo and topic for the meeting we still have it open!!!!

Last edited:

Brooks803

Thanks Robert! I'll see if I can do it with that foam stuff like Larry asked. I've never tried it so it'll be something new for me as well.

For the rest of the time I can do pretty much anything. One request for casting so far...is there anything else that yall would like to see? Kitless, stabilizing, etc...?

Brooks803

I want to see you do handstands while eating mayo!

Wish I could there.

lol...I think you'd like it there Tyson. Lots of great like minded people trying to advance their knowledge.

Thankfully you will NOT be there so the handstands and certainly the mayo is out of the question :doctor:

Robert,
if you don't find that 2nd demo volunteer I could always do a double feature! Just bring enough stuff to take up the day and have fun with it.

Brooks803

LoL Robert.....will do. I bet I could knock out the CA finish, Stabilizing, and alumilite casting with time to spare!

I just better pray I don't get pulled over during the trip...it might be really funny to see the look on the police's face when they saw all the equipment in the trunk, but they'd probably call the Feds!

Rojo22

Local Chapter Leader
LoL Robert.....will do. I bet I could knock out the CA finish, Stabilizing, and alumilite casting with time to spare!

I just better pray I don't get pulled over during the trip...it might be really funny to see the look on the police's face when they saw all the equipment in the trunk, but they'd probably call the Feds!

LOL...we don't need any Breaking Bad moments! Just tell them you are a crazy pen turner, that should get you out of any trouble! We cannot wait to see you!

southernclay

I'll be there, I'm going to bring a few nice but unknown blanks if anyone can take some time to look at them and help identify. Looking forward to it and the topics sound awesome! Thanks!
Warren

Steve Busey

Just over a week until the post Christmas IAP-Atlanta extravaganza!

Hope you all have it on your calendar!

Until then, Merry Christmas to All!

ABCDEFGHIJK MNOPQRSTUVWXYZ

jbo_c

Will there be any introductory type instruction as part of this?

My son(13) got a lathe for Christmas and we don't know what we're doing. Was thinking this meeting would get us some good introductory help, but I called the number above this morning and first they seemed to have no idea about it. Then they basically said it looked like everything would be more advanced.

It's an hour drive, so I want to make sure he/we gets some value out of it if we're going to make the trip. Otherwise, we should be in a deer stand.

Thanks.

Jbo

jbo_c

PS

He seems to be fumbling along on his own pretty well. I just thought there are probably lots of things to make it easier/cleaner/more effective that we could learn from a little introductory seminar kind of thing.

reddwil

PS

He seems to be fumbling along on his own pretty well. I just thought there are probably lots of things to make it easier/cleaner/more effective that we could learn from a little introductory seminar kind of thing.

I would bring him and come on. There a lot of great turners and anyone there will be more than than happy to help out and give advice. We will have some demos which may be a little advanced for a beginner but he should be able to pick up some things. During the lunch break, if you will get with me, I will be more than happy to help him out

Kent

Rojo22

Local Chapter Leader
Hey JBO, come on and join us. We will have an advanced type presentation, but like reddwil has said, there will be plenty of us there that will gladly offer any help or advice that you and your son could possibly need. The mix and variety of all the talent this group has is astounding, and you will definitely have people there that can help! We look forward to seeing you and your son.

Steve Busey

Thanks Robert & Jonathon for filling the lull between the holidays with a great educational meeting!

Attachments

• image-2098145029.jpg
    image-2098145029.jpg
    475.4 KB · Views: 167
  • image-560342118.jpg
    image-560342118.jpg
    458.4 KB · Views: 174
  • image-2533322851.jpg
    image-2533322851.jpg
    239.5 KB · Views: 177
  • image-1480934959.jpg
    image-1480934959.jpg
    490.5 KB · Views: 174

Rojo22

Local Chapter Leader
Many, many thanks to Jonathan for all of the excellent demo(s). I don't think there was anything Jonathan didn't cover in the demos he performed today. We had pouring, stabilizing, dyeing, pressure pots, vacuum pots, and kitless from start to finish.

I have never witnessed such a wide variety of topics covered by one demonstrator in all the years I have been associated with this hobby!

It was great to see everyone, and we had a few new faces in the crowd!

Stay tuned for some exciting news for the next meeting. I will post the information in the thread for the next meeting.

southernclay

Nice to meet everyone today, enjoyed it very much. Jonathan thanks so much for all of the time spent, my head is spinning with all of the info from you as well as the others in the group. Looking forward to March!

Brooks803

I had a lot of fun at the meeting yesterday! The drive home sucked with all the rain, but I made it home just fine.

It was great seeing everyone again, glad I could help out with the demos.

I checked with Shea and as of right now I'll be able to make the March meeting!

turncrazy43

So much great information. Thanks so much Jonathan.

Top Bottom