10th Chapter Meeting

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rojo22

Local Chapter Leader
The 10th Chapter Meeting will be held at Woodcraft on APRIL 2nd, 2011 from 10am to 3:30 or whenever we get tired of talking about pens. We had to move the date a week later than our normal March meeting, because of some classes and things scheduled at Woodcraft. I hope this is a great date for everyone, and we have a good showing.

Proposed Demo's include:

Steve doing a demo on one piece slimlines

Lee doing a demo with the Beall Treen Mandrel

DrBills

Sounds interesting! I just started pen turning and would love to talk with some veteran turners.

See you in April.

Bill

Rojo22

Local Chapter Leader
DrBills, welcome! We might be able to find a couple of veteran turners to help you out...Come on down, and have a couple of hours of unfettered access to some really nice folks who just happen to turn! Brind some of your stuff so we can see it.

BKelley

I have the meeting on my calender. Looking foward to the demos and seeing everyone. By the way, did you get enough snow? My drive way was iced over
real bad for 5 days, couldn't leave the house.

MorganGrafixx

I can't wait! I'm planning on being there. Hell, I'm at that Woodcraft 4 out of 7 days a week anyways since I work right down the street.

omb76

I plan on being there! This will be my first meeting, will be great to put some userid's with faces. :biggrin: Now what pens to bring for show and tell.... decisions, decisions...

Brooks803

I'm gonna do my best to make it to the meeting as well. Hopefully everything works out and I can make it. I was nice meeting everyone at the last one and I look forward to seeing everyone again.

omb76

I'm interested in seeing how the one piece slim is done (cigar style would be great too). Also any chance for a hands on demo for CA finish? It's kicking my butt.

Rojo22

Local Chapter Leader
Well it is getting closer and closer, good to see some new folks coming, and our foreign exchange folks (Brooks803) are planning on attending!

OMB76, you just missed a great demo from our CA finisher Russell Eaton, but I am betting if you are really nice, and MRS Eaton allows Russell to come and play, he would be happy to show you what he does for a great CA finish.

I am still confirming the agenda for the meeting, but it looks pretty good!

Rojo22

Local Chapter Leader
Ladies and Gentleman

I have just received an email from Mr. Steve, and he is confirmed to do the one piece demo! I personally cannot wait to see this demo, as I have not made any one pieces.

I have an email out right now trying to confirm the second demo and will update everyone accordingly.

Thanks

Robert

omb76

Can't wait to see the one piece demo! I'm heading over to Scott's house Saturday to learn the CA finish - I'll bring a finished pen with me to the meeting!

Rojo22

Local Chapter Leader
Your attention please!

I have just confirmed our second demo for the April meeting. Lee will be doing a demo with his Beall Treen chuck! I always wanted to see one in action!

Robert

MorganGrafixx

Sounds good! One piece pens are something that I would really like to get a better insight into. Anyone else bored tomorrow (Saturday 3/6/11) is more than welcome to come on over and make sawdust with David and I. I'm in Snelville...if you need directions, call me on my cell (678) 936-9752. - Scott

Steve Busey

Just a quick tease on the one piece demo. Ask your questions here before the meeting, so I have time to make something up! :biggrin:

one-piece-slim-silky-oak.jpg

MorganGrafixx

Very nice Steve. I can't wait to see the one piece demo in person. I think it will be the last piece of the puzzle needed to get it to make sense in my head.

Also, another thing I'd like to learn/see first hand is casting. I've gone through the IAP library and the casting message board trying to get as much info on starting this as I can. The problem is that there is SO MUCH info to sift through, that I think I'm more confused now than I was before.

Steve Busey

The problem is that there is SO MUCH info to sift through

Scott, a wise man (wise guy??) on the forum once said: "There are 500 ways to do a CA finish. 499 of them work. I use the other one." The same can be said for casting, or one piece pens. If you have an inkling of how to do something, after sifting through all the info - then try it! Don't expect to get a Rembrandt on your first try, but you can sure use it to learn what works and what doesn't.

MorganGrafixx

The problem is that there is SO MUCH info to sift through

Scott, a wise man (wise guy??) on the forum once said: "There are 500 ways to do a CA finish. 499 of them work. I use the other one." The same can be said for casting, or one piece pens. If you have an inkling of how to do something, after sifting through all the info - then try it! Don't expect to get a Rembrandt on your first try, but you can sure use it to learn what works and what doesn't.

and that is almost exactly how I learned the CA finish! LOL! I guess "There aint nothin' left to it, but to do it"!

Brooks803

I'm planning on bringing alot of my home cast blanks for your purchasing needs, but if anyone has any special requests I'd be happy to mix them up and bring to the meeting!

U-Turn

I will be there - enjoyed my last/first meeting and picked up some good ideas as well as well as met some greaet folks -hope to pick up some more ideas/acquaintences.

DrBills

I'll be bringing a box of blanks that I don't have an interest in turning. Hopefully some will find a good home, free of course.

reddwil

I'll be there with bells on. Only have one request. Someone has got to go to Dreamland BBQ with me to eat lunch. I can't be that close and not go eat there.

Rojo22

Local Chapter Leader
Ok everyone, we have confirmation on everything, so bring some kits to turn, and a notebook to take great notes from the demos. Looks like we will have a record crowd on hand from the emails that I have gotten and the posts here from all the new folks!!!

Hope to see everyone there!

Gary Beasley

I'll be there with bells on. Only have one request. Someone has got to go to Dreamland BBQ with me to eat lunch. I can't be that close and not go eat there.

I live a few miles from them, though I have a more favorite BBQ place. The one is Alabama is wayyy better. Look up the tall one.:rolleyes:

Steve Busey

Ok everyone, we have confirmation on everything, so bring some kits to turn, and a notebook to take great notes from the demos. Looks like we will have a record crowd on hand from the emails that I have gotten and the posts here from all the new folks!!

Wait, is that tomorrow??? :eek:

April Fools! Seeya!

DrBills

I had a terrific time, and was happy to meet so many "interesting" folks! I had to leave early, so I would love to see the video from the second demo...

Thanks all and see you at meeting 11!

Bill

reddwil

Had a great time. Again Thanks to everyone who donated pens and Material to Pens For Hope. I am truly thankful and was very touched by all the support. Sorry I got a little choked up.
Can't wait to see everyone back in June. Was very glad my son was able to come and experience and meet such great artist. He came away with a new perspective of what we do.

omb76

Had a great time at today's meeting! The demo's were awesome and it was great to finally be able to meet you guys in person! Can't wait for the next gathering!!

papaturner

What a great mtg..........Thanks to Robert and Robin for their hard work. Especially to Robin for volunteering to do a demo at the next meeting:biggrin:
I am always amazed at the great hospitality of Steve and the crew at Woodcraft, thanks guys.
The demos by Steve and Lee were top notch.......Thanks guys.
It was an absolute pleasure to meet the new folk and to see the old ones.
I too am looking forward to the next mtg.

Rojo22

Local Chapter Leader
What a great mtg..........Thanks to Robert and Robin for their hard work. Especially to Robin for volunteering to do a demo at the next meeting:biggrin:

PapaTurner, I am nursing a giant mouse on my head....Thanks.....

I had a great time, and thanks for all the great information on the demo's today.

I have taken the contact list and will distribute at the next meeting.

Thanks for the good ideas on stuff for the next few meetings, I will start to get the announcement for what is coming up soon (note to self, cloth demo in 2018)....

Fred

Rojo ... I made it to the meeting but you all were going out to lunch and I could not stay long since I was not driving. From all the folks I saw it appeared that the turnout was quite successful. Steve Q said that he was happy to have all of you there. :biggrin:

BTW, Thanks for the generous piece of Cherry wood. It has already been pre-cut to a round and will be boiled tomorrow. :party:

Top Bottom