October 10 Meeting details

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

edman2

Local Chapter Leader
Hello everyone,
Our second annual Southwest Missouri IAP Picnic will be Saturday, October 10 from 10:00 til 3:00. See the "Our Next Meeting" thread for driving directions.

We will have a pen blank swap (bring two - get two).
We will have a pen swap. (Bring a completed pen built on a Slimline kit to swap).
We will have demos. How to make a 50 caliber pen by Paul Sherman and Necklace Pendant Making (unless I get a better offer). Or I can sing!

Lunch will be grilled dogs and brats with chips - cost $4.00 per plate.
Bring a two liter bottle of soda or bottled water.
Each family unit will pay a $5.00 program fee to recover the cost of the pavilion rental.

We have door prizes from Wood-N-Whimsies, Bear Tooth Woods, Kallenshaan Woods, Hut Products, and others.

A show and tell table to display your hand crafted items.

Bring things to sell if you want. Tables for member sales will be unused picnic tables around the pavilion.

Tim and Tracey from Wood-N-Whimsies will have a display set up and items for sale. If you order products from them prior to the picnic they will bring them to the picnic and save you the shipping costs.

All pen turners are invited. We will give a prize to the non-member person that drives the longest distance. Plenty of room for kids to play. Bring the family. (Park regulations make this an alcohol free event). Gas is about $2.16 a gallon in the Springfield area at this time.

Please email me or PM me if you are coming. We need to know how many dogs and brats to chase down! Our World Class BBQ king Hayseedboy will do the grillin! It's gonna be a lot of fun! :biggrin:

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

edman2

Local Chapter Leader
Picnic done

Well it was a lotta fun! 27 folks from four states enjoyed the sunny clear day (high of 58) for a great picnic. Thanks to all that came. Non member traveling the longest distance was Dannis Lozano from just south of Dallas. Dannis shared his project of introducing pen making to nursing home residents. They use no power tools in their pen making instead using ingenious work stations that Dannis provides. He has 19 rest homes in this project.
Several folks took photos so we will try to round up some of those and post them. Next meeting in March.

Hayseedboy

All,

It was a great picnic today! Lots of good visit'n!!!

Dannis' project was the cherry on the top for me today! I thought it was fantastic that he is growing this project in his part of the world and is wanting to see it expand. Though he does not claim it to be his idea he is helping to expand both on the idea and territory.

I encourage you to watch this YouTube video I put together with Dannis briefly explaining what he is doing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fq6NAvMdTx0

He does this for just cost of the supplies, many of which he supplies himself. Google maps say's he drove 575 miles to show us this program.

Dannis, GREAT WORK!!! I am proud to have met you.

Larry

p.s. Dannis gave me a pen made with his method by "Utah Whitely" a gent in his 90's. The one he shows in the video of the 500 year old live oak.

Last edited:

edman2

Local Chapter Leader
And...just so you know...Dannis has multiple lathes in his shop including one on which he turned a four foot bowl...yep 4 foot (well...47 1/2" to be exact) on a home made lathe with a 3 hp motor and an automobile transmission! You Texas guys need to meet Dannis!! (He did not know about the IAP - learned about the SW Missouri meeting through a pen parts supplier).

excalibur

Folks - Debbie and I had a wonderful time meeting you folks - Fred O loved your humor and Tim thanks for the tips - AWESOME video - Tom wish we could have met you but family comes first - see you in the spring but will stay in contact

Top Bottom