Is the IAP an "official" organization? - Page 4 - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Welcome to penturners.org! > Local Chapters
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2009, 09:11 PM   #31 (permalink)

Photos: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcruby View Post
as a rule penturners make more money than bowl turners
wait ... penturners make WHAT??
NewLondon88 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 03-10-2009, 10:26 PM   #32 (permalink)

Photos: 0

If it becomes formal as a card carrying member to belong to the IAP I will most likely make the decision to be an observer and watch from the sidelines. The meetings held informally at individual member shops is what makes this fun. OOPS...did I say fun, not an obligation!
I know what the inside of a woodcraft or Rockler store looks like, I do not know what other turners shops look like. There has been a constant feedback from those in our area that it has been neat to visit another persons shop and get ideas and share ideas, there is no financial gain expected or thought about, don't know if that is true when you have a meeting at a retail outlet. If someone has a small shop then if they want to host then plan for the warm season, if they have larger shop then they can choose to host in wither warm or cold weather. I digress, I vote for informal and want to keep it like visiting family rather than be organizational structure and go to retail store for get together. I will not become a card carrying member of another association, one is enough, they do it quite well. This has been fun up to now, I hope it stays that way, but I sense a change in the wind direction from the East.
Old 03-10-2009, 11:13 PM   #33 (permalink)

Photos: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdwhip96 View Post
... This has been fun up to now, I hope it stays that way, but I sense a change in the wind direction from the East.

Well you know it's not coming from the west, they are, by their own admission, "easy going". I can see them now... woodies parked outside with surf boards tossed on top while the blond haired, tye dyed tee shirt wearing dudes are standing around a lathe saying radical this and radicai that!

I have a feeling it will stay fun for those who want it to!

Texatdurango is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Advertisement
Old 03-11-2009, 07:49 AM   #34 (permalink)

I first bought my lathe after a pen turning class at a woodcraft, there were only 3 of us in the class, the class was over at 9:00 pm when the store closed but they stayed open long enough to sell me a lathe, pen press, and a bunch of stuff I needed to make more pens. It was not long after that I found the IAP and visited the local woodturners group. I'm sure I made hundreds of pens before I made one bowl or anything else. As a pen turner I have never felt looked down upon by the club or any of it's members. There are some regular members who only do pens. Probably a 3rd of our regular meeting attendees are not AAW members, and many of our attendees are regular readers and contributors to the IAP. Our wood turning club does not charge dues and never has, anyone is welcome to attend our meetings. We have a regular routine which is subject change if we think it will accommodate more of what the attendees wish. It's great that our club is affiliated with the AAW mainly because of the insurance, we do have demos each month, and with wood, even pens, spinning in excess of 2000 RPM's an accident can happen. I don't believe we have ever had to use the insurance, most who have insurance don't, but it's nice to know it's there. I'm not sure why some of you are saying pen turning is not related to wood turning. I'm sure I have made over 300 pens in the last 3 years everyone of them went on the lathe at some point, and probably a third of them were made out of wood. Here is a link to our website if you want to learn more about the Inland Woodturners, we meet this Sunday, February's newsletter should get posted to that website sometime today (Wednesday).www.inlandwoodturners.com/ you may want to check us out.
Old 03-11-2009, 09:00 AM   #35 (permalink)

Photos: 16

It looks like the original question has led to a different discussion. I have a penny to toss into the pot:

1. I appreciate the "looseness" of this group. The range of people and skills cover the entire spectrum. I found the forum almost 2 years ago by accident. The attractive thing about it was the helpful nature of it. Anyone could get help with just about any problem or get encouragement if they needed it. Would we lose that "looseness" if we became more structured?

2. If we became a sub-chapter(s) of another group, what would protect our identity? I do not want to give up my identity as a member of the IAP to be part of some other group.

3. The discussion about the benefits of insurance is a valid point to discuss. My day job deals in tort claims and litigation. I too would never think of calling an attorney if I hurt myself in someone elses shop at a get together. Could you see putting me (or any of you) on the witness stand: "Mr. Hix, are you testifying that you did not know a skew was sharp?" "How did you make those pens in your pocket?" The fastest jury I ever saw come back, was only out 15 minutes. This one could be faster. Granted there are some individuals among us who probably would jump at the chance. If you are worried about me in your shop, either tell me not to come or have me sign a waiver. I have a thick skin.

4. The forum has changed in the last couple of years. Things always do. We, as members, have to insure that the changes are for the better. Would it advance us or shackle us? I do not know the answer.

5. IAP is really Jeff's. I appreciate the thing that he has created. If he decided to go more formal, that is his choice. Would I dissappear? Probably not?

Just my thoughts. I may have more as I think about this today.
Old 03-11-2009, 09:17 AM   #36 (permalink)

Photos: 22

I appreciate everyone who is putting serious thought and consideration into their responses. I don't think anyone is really trying to change what the IAP is, I know I love it and wouldn't change a thing. The real issue is that the folks in Richmond, whatever you think about us, are more interested in a 'loosely' formalized club such as the AAW for the purposes of meeting in a physical location. However, the IAP is invaluable and I would love to promote it heavily and have it be an integral part of our local club.

That being said, what might work out best for us, and maybe others if they see fit, is to be a subchapter of the AAW like the Inland Woodturners, but include the IAP as an integral part of the knowledge and communication of the club. I think some people may have a misconception about the 'formality' of being affiliated with the AAW....keep in mind most woodturners are incredibly laid back and really do it because they love it, being pens or bowls or platters. We have never experienced any sort of 'suggestion' from the national AAW about how we should run our local Richmond turning club, and I'm sure the same freedom the IAP gives in running its local clubs the AAW also gives.

We'll be meeting in Richmond tomorrow night with the Woodcraft owner to talk about this exact issue, find out more about insurance and liability and what have you, and I can post more information after that. But as for right now, I don't see why we can't promote both organizations with each of their strengths. I, along with many others are members of both, have loyalty to both, and enjoy both for different reasons. I think a happy medium can be found.

Write On,
Brian Goulet
The Goulet Pen Company
Ashland, Va.
www.GouletPens.com
GouletPens is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 03-11-2009, 01:00 PM   #37 (permalink)

Photos: 19

This question took me aback a bit. The people responsible for protecting our identity is, and always will be, us. If we affiliated with the AAW I expect that other than some promotion of AAW membership they would exert no more influence on us than they do on any chapter. And there is nothing to prevent us from up and walking away from any affiliation that didn't suit us.

One upside is that our presence might encourage more articles on penmaking in the AAW Journal. Assuming we were willing to write them. Which is good publicity for everyone.

Marc

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkHix View Post
If we became a sub-chapter(s) of another group, what would protect our identity? I do not want to give up my identity as a member of the IAP to be part of some other group.
Old 03-11-2009, 08:06 PM   #38 (permalink)

Photos: 7

My head hurts . thats what i get for thinking......
Not being / belonging to aaw i cant say much .
IAP is a great place to read and learn. That why i joined , not long ago . Being new here all i can say is thanks . A local chapter would be nice . just to make and be around friends . eather at woodcraft , someones shop or basement would be an okay place. just to trade ideals , show off some pens . i have never done or been around a pen show ( yet ) . so seeing others work would be interesting .
on the other hand , being part of a group ( a chapter ) that was more structure to it with officers planing when and where metting would be okay also. i am sure pepole thats been doing this has more insight on whats going on than i . more formal could have advantages if affiliated with some one like aaw . insurance , group discounts .....
i am here for the ride , no place to go , just the ride

David
mountains of southwest virginia
David M is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 03-11-2009, 09:16 PM   #39 (permalink)
Activities Manager Emeritus

Photos: 6

As an attendee at the first Grizz-Fest that was the very first meeting of IAP members, I enjoy the loose informality of the way the IAP is run. That is my opinion, and like everyone else, I am entitled to an opinion.

Brian makes some good points, Mark had an incredible post, and Marc also makes some great points.

I don't think there is a need for a consensus of opinion. If the Richmond group desires an affiliation with the AAW, they should go for it. Whether they consider themselves to be AAW members, IAP members or AAW/IAP members is immaterial to the rest of us. Give me a meeting of friends hanging out in each other's shops any day! That said, I certainly understand that others might prefer larger structured, insured gatherings, and if so, they certainly should meet how they prefer.
“One of the consequences of such notions as "entitlements" is that people who have contributed nothing to society feel that society owes them something, apparently just for being nice enough to grace us with their presence.”
Thomas Sowell, PhD
wdcav1952 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 03-13-2009, 09:01 AM   #40 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GouletPens View Post
Thank you Lou...all I'm really trying to do is have the most successful club possible. I most certainly don't want to be all tied up in burocracy and politics, but the situation we're in here in Richmond apparently needs a little clarification to the rules. I'm eager to hear back.
I've only read the first page, so my comments may be covered already.
But, Jeff 'owns' IAP and, I believe, he is the only person who can speak for it.
However, I can't see where there would be any problem affiliating with more than one organization. The AAW can provide the insurance and any others would give contact with their speciality.
Rifleman1776 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads