Please READ and comment

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
For a change, this is serious. (Topic: Etiquette)

As we develop local chapters, the IAP will become more widely known. We only get ONE chance to make a GOOD first impression, let's assemble the things we should consider to be "Well received" in our local communities.

These are NOT in any order, just things I have considered:

In making arrangements to meet at our local WoodCraft store:
There is currently a club meeting there that has "left behind" catalogs from WoodCraft competitors. IF the store owner is kind enough to allow us to MEET in his premises let's remember he hopes to GAIN business from us, in exchange. Certainly DON'T leave ANY garbage behind - clean up after ourselves!!! If you are using the lathes, clean up the SHAVINGS. We do this when we are finished using these facilities to teach, most certainly we should do it, if the store owner is kind enough to let us "borrow" the space.
IF you know the owner well enough, ASK about a discount for the meeting. I learned this from attending an AAW meeting in Chicago. The WoodCraft store gave a 15% discount for purchases from the group. While the participants MIGHT have been able to buy turning tools online for a little less money, they DID buy Sorby tools (at the meeting) and enjoyed their discount. EVERYBODY benefits. I am suggesting to Chris that we look for clearance items - WoodCraft will be dropping about half their plastic blanks and adding newer ones. Can we offer the "soon to be discontinued" ones at a good price?? (I have a slight advantage here, cause if they don't sell at the meeting, I will buy whatever remains (up to 500 pieces).

We will need to make an IAP membership card. I will get together with Jeff and Lou on this, to make sure it is "universal". But, if we play our cards right, perhaps that can become the "___% off" at a number of retailers. It has to LOOK official and probably should cost something. ($5ish)

Ok, that's a start. PLEASE ADD the things I have forgotten or not yet considered. We will become a physical part of the community, let's make each other PROUD to display the IAP logo.

(Jeff, do we call ourselves "IAP" or "Penturners.org" or what????? Uniformity should be encouraged!!)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Peoples actions speak louder than words, you will be more likely to get a discount if you respect the local meeting place and their policies. Cleanup is a big thing too, someone has to clean up the mess, and if it is not you, then its the shop/store owner. They don't get paid to do this, and it comes down to how good of a relationship they have with you.

rjwolfe3

Ed,
I love these ideas. We are hoping to meet at the Ohio Woodcraft or one of those type of stores. I will certainly keep these things in mind. I would love the idea of a membership card.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Rob,

At the MPG in Urbana, several of us have given brief seminars. Interestingly, seems most of the "presenters" are also "teachers" at various WoodCraft locations.

Check with your members - I will be producing a form today to send to all the WISCONSIN guys (some flatlanders - but we forgive them). It will ask what types of topics they would like to SEE covered and what topics they feel THEY could present.

I have asked Jeff to allow me to work on membership cards, as soon as he and Lou decide what we should call us.

ASK your members if they are already teaching or have other ties to a WoodCraft or Rockler location. These are NATURAL meeting spots, but the owner HOPES to profit too!!! AND HE SHOULD!!

Again, we only get ONE chance to make a GOOD first impression. With the size of our membership, we ought to be able to "brainstorm" the problems that could arise and have a GOOD plan of action to PREVENT difficulties.

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
For a change, this is serious. (Topic: Etiquette)

(Jeff, do we call ourselves "IAP" or "Penturners.org" or what????? Uniformity should be encouraged!!)

This is an excellent topic of discussion.

Personally, I don't think a domain name is a good name for an organization, so "penturners.org" doesn't excite me too much. It's our home, not our name.

I like "The IAP" which I think is just as legit as "The AAW" or any other acronym for a full name.

I love the idea of a membership card!

markgum

EXCELLANT comments. Clean up should be a given; but we need reminders... But,, most of all we are 'family' here and our actions reflect on the rest of our family. A mess left by a local chapter in CA could spell trouble for a local Chapter in VA trying to find a meeting place. Just as we help our family in times of need; let's help our family with local chapters by being professional.

rickstef

if you do the membership card, IAP, the Logo, and the url are all pieces that need to be on the card,

that way you can show the card, talk about the group, and the forum.

and proudly claim, that you are a card carrying member of IAP. :smile-big:

Rick

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
I'm looking foward to our first international convention! Think Big!

Other things to consider. If we are truly establishing "official" chapters with officers, etc and meeting at business establishments such as Woodcraft, as opposed to informal meetings at friends houses, we should be real careful about things like liability. I think the AAW carries insurance for demos at local clubs. Wouldn't want Jeff to bear the burden if we use his name and form an association with his internet business.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager

Other things to consider. If we are truly establishing "official" chapters with officers, etc and meeting at business establishments such as Woodcraft, as opposed to informal meetings at friends houses, we should be real careful about things like liability. I think the AAW carries insurance for demos at local clubs. Wouldn't want Jeff to bear the burden if we use his name and form an association with his internet business.

I'm thinkin' July 2009 - maybe Jeff's back yard!!!

'Corse LOU is the national coordinator AND he has a Mustard Monster!!!!

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
At WoodCraft and other business locations, it would be wise to have a "sign-up" sheet with the usual disclaimers.

Actually, even meeting at someone's home, this is NOT a BAD idea.

IPD_Mrs

I'm thinkin' July 2009 - maybe Jeff's back yard!!!

'Corse LOU is the national coordinator AND he has a Mustard Monster!!!!

Somewhere near Salina Kansas would be a good place to have it. Geographical center of the US. Besides that there would be nothing else to do but visit with IAP members.

Mike

marcruby

Hey, we could start charging dues, open central offices, have a glossy magazine, and a big convention...WAIT!! I think I've been through this before!

I agree 100% on the need to be proactively polite. But, for the most part I'm happy with a t-shirt and a cool bumpersticker

Rojo22

Local Chapter Leader
I love the comments. Please remember that this is hopefully a two way relationship with the meeting venues. Several of the Woodcraft's have classes for turning pens. We would like to generate interest, and reward the venues with full classes of potential pen turners, so offer to have demonstrations, with the idea that we can refer people to the Woodcraft classes. Buying items at the stores is also important, but if we can give back to the venue by filling classes, they would appreciate that as well.

I am currently working on a logo for the Southeast US Chapter. I am hopeful that we can place the local logo, the IAP logo, and the url on the membership cards.

One of the things that our carving club does very well, is to create interest by demonstrating at woodworking events, such as woodshows, craft fairs, and tent sales for various wood associated vendors. The club also has hooked up with other clubs and done demos at state fairs, and the like. If you can get enough members together, it would be beneficial to find opportunities like these to put demos on, and again refer the interested parties to the local chapter meetings, or classes at our venue hosts. Having a clear sign that states who you are and how to become involved at these events is also important. Our carving club has a hand out specific to our club and our area, and shows various resources on how to contact folks, and get to a website. We also have a handout that is "universal" to other clubs, wood resources, and overall carving resources located around our area. These are very handy items to have, and bring folks to understand what your club is about, and have something to take home and use at a later date as their schedule allows them to get involved.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
One of the topics we (Chris, owner of Woodcraft and I) covered yesterday was the level of the turners. He was concerned that we are all too "advanced" so he could not have his clientele come to the meeting - it would be "over their heads".

I assured him that we all remember what starting to turn pens was like and NONE of us has a BIG HEAD about helping beginning turners. And, I do teach "resin pen turning" at his place, so having novices get to know me can't HURT his business.

Thanks for all the comments, keep em coming, please!!!

flyingmelon

Somewhere near Salina Kansas would be a good place to have it. Geographical center of the US. Besides that there would be nothing else to do but visit with IAP members.

Mike

I have been through there on my way somewhere. Ain't that the truth .... if you are there you are on your way somewhere else.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Look at my title. Does it say "Doer" anywhere? No! It says "Coordinator". Now if you can get someone who has a packet "Doer" title, let me know and I will coordinate the two of you.

As for a membership card, I'm betting someone like Woodcraft, with its hundreds and hundreds of stores, would love to fund the badges if we let them put a logo on the back.

As for name, from the outset we have been the International Association of Penturners. While not all of our pens are turned, I can't see any real reason to change the name...or the logo...or the domain address. Of course, I think that needs to be our benevolent dictator's decision.

(Wake me up if you need more "coordinating". :cool: )

Texatdurango

Could someone please post an address for either Jeff or Lou's house, whichever is chosen to host the 2009 national rendevous? A map would he nifty as well!

I'm looking forward to meeting everyone and need to add this segment into our eastern sweep of the states next year!

IPD_Mrs

Look at my title. Does it say "Doer" anywhere? No! It says "Coordinator". Now if you can get someone who has a packet "Doer" title, let me know and I will coordinate the two of you.

Your title doesn't need to say doer. We just saw your post of the four rows of pens with the CA finish that were pressed together last night. We already know your a doer. What you need to do Lou is tell them you would be happy to take on this additional work above and beyond all of your other responsibilities.......Then give them a price!:eek:

Mike

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
I feel my efforts are becoming "Uncoordinated".

Where's my "Local chapter preliminary organizer's manual"??? I could see what my next duties are. But "National" hasn't sent it out yet!!!!!

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Mike,

You obviously have NOT been involved in many volunteer organizations.

You WORK MUCH HARDER than you do on your day job,
You can"t TELL anyone what to do, or they will quit and volunteer labor is hard to replace
Most of all, you KNOW what each and every task will pay --- NOTHING!!!!!

But you gain invaluable experience.

(JCI Senator - Ed Brown)

Mike

That does not look like international thinking to me. Presuming we make the first international meeting in the U.S.A., we would probably want to make it more convient to our out-of-country participants. North East (Boston area) or even the DC area (after all, Lou DOES have a mustard monster!)

We might even think about the gathering coinciding with the next DC pen show (the largest pen event in the world).

Last edited:
ooooo I want the logo as a tatoo - hey Jeff, can I tattoo the logo on my arm??????????

Folks - Please do not jump in to having stuff made with new logos on it. I am developing some guidelines for the logo as well as suggestions for agenda items and such. While the Chapters have a localized purpose, we don't want to dilute the brand value of the International Association of Penturners.

Cr@p! How am I going to get this new custom IAP tat off?!?! :redface::rolleyes:

alphageek

Former Moderator
Ok.. Back on topic (what a concept!):biggrin:

I just had a thought - IAP isn't the first group to do this - Does anyone have some things in place (rules, documents, ideas) etc that we could use to help us here?

I assume that there is a good number of IAP members that are also AAW members, and I assume there is some good 'local' groups in that. They would have some of the same issues and maybe we can learn from others?

nava1uni

Clean-up is of the utmost importance. I TA an upholstery class and clean-up is always done by just a couple people. If everyone helps it goes quicker and the business owner will welcome us back more easily
I like the idea of calling it IAP, membership cards, and I think that car decals would be nice.

MDWine

Another serious suggestion: (yeah, out of character for me I know)

We had a minor "incident" when we had one of our informal meetings in NoVa. One of the salesfolks took offense to our exchanging money between IAP'ers. One had purchased some extra pen kits from another member, and the salesperson saw the kits and the exchange. They were "concerned" about the transaction taking place in their business.

Take your transactions to the car or some other place, out of the view of the store and/or public.

Avoid mention of the web vendors we use. Keep that conversaton on the web, or away from the business location.

Chasper

In a way I'm sorry to see the need for this discussion. I'm all in favor of being a considerate guest and cleaning up. But it is the regional proliferation of IAP along with the clubbiness of local clubs that is unappealing to me. I've attended a regional IAP gathering and it was enjoyable and informative, I've contacted my nearest regional club and made the point that I would probably be interested in attending once a year. I might join a club, but I would never attend regular gatherings.

For me pen turning is a personal time of mental focus. I get insights, inspiration and sources from IAP online. But my mistakes and successes are hard fought personal experiences. I enjoy being an online member of a somewhat obscure but international and strongly knowledge based sharing organization like IAP. However, if there are going to be dozens or hundreds of local franchises at some point in the future, that will dampen my enthuaism.

"Nobody goes there anymore, it is too crowded." --Yogi Berra

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Gerry,

I think the "physical meetings" have enhanced MY relationship with the IAP. I can mercilessly attack Lou (DCBluesman) because I have spent several days with him in DC and Chicago. We share a mutual respect that far surpasses our "needling".

I have met dozens of other members, as well (including you!!) I have an "even greater respect" for the opinions offered, because I can recall a little more about your background than "Joe Blow" on the IAP.

In short, if you choose NOT to attend the Physical meetings, it should not CHANGE the way you view the "intenet IAP", should it? You have just chosen NOT to "put a face with the writing", which is certainly your option!

Next, what is a "regular" gathering? I hate weekly meetings (trade group, lead exchange), not wild about MONTHLY meetings (Social/business gatherings like Rotary), but I COULD grow to like QUARTERLY meetings to talk about PENMAKING - right away the subject matter is more interesting than "business"!!!

Just some "food for thought", for which I know you were starving!!!:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

vangaspens

Ed,
I love these ideas. We are hoping to meet at the Ohio Woodcraft or one of those type of stores. I will certainly keep these things in mind. I would love the idea of a membership card.

I second the motion for membership cards. Wood Werks Supply in Columbus has agreed to offer 10% off all Rockler items in the store which includes their entire content of penturning supplies. We were going to make the cards here for our local chapter, but an official card from IAP would be better.

Charlie

Top Bottom