Meeting info request - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Welcome to penturners.org! > IAP Management Team > Local Chapter Manager
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Local Chapter Manager Ed Brown (ed4copies) is the IAP Local Chapter Manager

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2012, 05:04 PM   #1 (permalink)
Product Reviews Manager

Photos: 49

Default Meeting info request

Where does your chapter meet and do you have to pay for the space? I am still just collecting info and trying to get this all figured out.
Thanks,
Neil
Old 03-02-2012, 05:16 PM   #2 (permalink)

Photos: 0

We are a fairly new club that started last year and have has 4 meetins so far. We have rented a small space in an office complex for the day ($50-70/day) but the last 2 meetings have been at members homes/shops (garages) and we like that format the best. Just our 2 Cents.

Last edited by Knucklefish; 03-02-2012 at 05:17 PM. Reason: spell
Knucklefish is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 04-01-2012, 11:52 AM   #3 (permalink)
Chapter Steering Committee

Neil,
Our Wisconsin group meets every 3-4 months at the local
Woodcraft
14115 W. Greenfield Ave.
New Berlin, WI 53151

The owners, Chris and Dena Kraemer, provide us with our own meeting room when ever we need. They also provide us with refreshments, popcorn, bottled water, coffee and cookies. There is no charge to us. We also get a 10% discount on most items by mentioning the IAP.
We have access to 2 full size lathes that are owned by other turning clubs. (Most of us are members of these clubs) and up to 6 other lathes on request.

We couldn't ask for a better host.

Feel free to contact me if you need any more info. I've been running the Wisconsin group for about three years.

Wisconsin Chapter Leader

http://woodjunky.weebly.com/

My money talks to me, it says good bye.
A penny saved is a government oversight.
ssajn is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Advertisement
Old 04-01-2012, 01:28 PM   #4 (permalink)

new England chapter meets at the woodcraft in west Springfield ma for no charge
pensbydesign is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 04-01-2012, 01:29 PM   #5 (permalink)

Photos: 2

We have our chapter meetings at different members shops. Works out real good.
Old 04-01-2012, 02:06 PM   #6 (permalink)

Photos: 9

We started the Indy chapter as a small group. We met at different locations from individuals shops to Rocklers & Woodcraft. We quickly out grew those locations and now me at a church which has great facilities for our group. There is a large room for group meetings and individual rooms for demo's etc. We get this free of charge thanks to one of our members Dan Mechuta.
Old 04-01-2012, 02:51 PM   #7 (permalink)

Photos: 35

Our last meeting was at The Rosewood Shop, a local wood supplier. He donated the space, a lathe, and cooked burgers for us. I'm not sure about anyone else, but it cost me about $100 for the wood that jumped into my truck.
randywa is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 04-01-2012, 06:37 PM   #8 (permalink)

The Hampton Roads meets at the El Presidento house. He has the best shop and all the neat toys for us to play with.
"Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons." Douglas MacArthur
navycop is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 09-22-2012, 10:02 AM   #9 (permalink)

Photos: 5

Hi,
I've been running a thread to hopefully establish a uk chapter. I've had a positive if limited response (after all the UK is just a tad smaller then the USA) can you give me guidance as to best practice to get set up
trapper is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 09-23-2012, 12:49 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by trapper View Post
Hi,
I've been running a thread to hopefully establish a uk chapter. I've had a positive if limited response (after all the UK is just a tad smaller then the USA) can you give me guidance as to best practice to get set up
Hello Stephen,

I've been conducting chapter meetings in Milwaukee, Wisconsin for about three years.

We are lucky to have a Woodcraft that will allow us to have meetings whenever we decide. We have meetings about every three months with a demo at each. We also have a chat session before the meeting that I let run past the start time. Our meetings are at noon on a Sunday. This allows members time to get to the meeting then home at a reasonable time. Some of our group travel up to 100 miles one way. At the end of the meeting there is a pen exchange, pens are exchanges by a raffle system so the exchange is totally at random. There is also a blanks exchange.

I maintain a roster of everyone that attends the meetings, contact info, who does what demos and notes from each meeting along with thoughts for future meetings. Since some of our members don't check the forum ofter I send out an email announcing the next meeting. Our average attendance is about 20. I'm lucky that I've never had a problem getting someone to do a demo.

I'm sending you an email with my spreadsheet attached so you can see what I do and maybe get some ideas. Please note that there tabs on the bottom of the page that have more info. (I use MS Excel)

Hope this helps. If there's anything else I can do to help you feel free to PM or email me.

Dave Drickhamer
ssajn

Wisconsin Chapter Leader

http://woodjunky.weebly.com/

My money talks to me, it says good bye.
A penny saved is a government oversight.
ssajn is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads