Central Virginia Area.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Druid

Hi Jim,
I'm relatively new here also so I hope I convey this information correctly. The IAP NoVa/Capitol local chapter is comprised of members from Virginia, DC, Maryland, West Virginia and Delaware (North Carolinians are welcome also). Lou Metcalf (DCBluesman) is the local chapter coordinator and I believe Draken usually hosts the event. Your welcome to join and please contact either of the two senior members I mentioned if you have any questions since I probably cannot answer them! :wink:

On another note, have you considered (or maybe you are already a member of) the Richmond Chapter of the American Woodturners Association? Check with Woodcraft in Richmond, they have a workshop there that hosts club meetings. I am a member of the Capitol Area Woodturners (AAW Chapter) and find some very useful information and instruction there. The membership is highly skilled and has a handful of members that professionally turn for a living.

Hope this helps

GouletPens

Is there anyone interested in get a chapter up here in the Richmond and Tricities area?
Jim, I might be interested in it if there are enough people out there of interest. I am an officer for the local AAW club here in Richmond, and I'm only aware of a couple of other people that are "pen people". I'm sure there are more out there, and maybe we should round them all up!! I'd be interested in getting something started here locally.

Chuck Key

Richmond area members

I know of xxfivexx 6 Richmond area penturners that are members of IAP. Someone visited Plantation Antiques in Wakefield a few days ago and mentioned that they were a member also. Wondering if you are one of the five or someone to be added to the list?

Last edited:

hewunch

Forgive me folks but when I hear Central Va, Richmond does not come to mind. Lynchburg, Bedford, Alta Vista, even that town where UVA is. I know some folks in Central VA who would be highly offended to be lumped in with folks from Richmond. :wink::)

Coming from a former Lynchburger.

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
Forgive me folks but when I hear Central Va, Richmond does not come to mind. Lynchburg, Bedford, Alta Vista, even that town where UVA is. I know some folks in Central VA who would be highly offended to be lumped in with folks from Richmond. :wink::)

Coming from a former Lynchburger.
Maybe that's why they kicked you out to SC:wink:

jimofsanston

Central Va chapter.

Well i was told by Goulet that the AAW is meeting on the 3 Thursday of the month. I was going to try and get there to meet with him and a few other pen turners he knew. Maybe all should plan on getting together after they meet and talk about the next steps.:umbrella:

GouletPens

Well i was told by Goulet that the AAW is meeting on the 3 Thursday of the month. I was going to try and get there to meet with him and a few other pen turners he knew. Maybe all should plan on getting together after they meet and talk about the next steps.:umbrella:
I think that's a good idea, but I don't want to undermine the AAW or take advantage of what they have going on. It's a great club for all turners, but the IAP chapter might be great in addition to it. If there's enough interest from everyone, I'll see what I can do about generating some buzz about it through the AAW in a respectful manner. Even still, I recommend everyone come to the meeting for the AAW club b/c there's always good stuff to learn there.

jimofsanston

MY wife the comedian.

I told my wife that i was going to go to the AAW meeting to meet you guy's. She said oh you are going to your penturns anonymous group meeting! ( like Alcholic anonymous meettings). Because we are so crazy about pens.:redface::redface::tongue::wink::wink::eek:

GouletPens

I told my wife that i was going to go to the AAW meeting to meet you guy's. She said oh you are going to your penturns anonymous group meeting! ( like Alcholic anonymous meettings). Because we are so crazy about pens.:redface::redface::tongue::wink::wink::eek:
Actually, the formal name of the Richmond AAW club is "Woodturners Anonymous of Richmond", so your wife is pretty dead on!!!!:eek:

GouletPens

There's been a time change for the Richmond AAW club...6:30pm now for mingling and shop talk, then 7:00pm for the demonstration to begin.

Top Bottom