2013 input from Chapters - Page 2 - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Welcome to penturners.org! > IAP Management Team > Local Chapter Manager
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Local Chapter Manager Ed Brown (ed4copies) is the IAP Local Chapter Manager

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2013, 10:06 PM   #11 (permalink)

Photos: 235

Our SC meeting has on avg 10-15 each month. We've done just about every demo one can think of and there aren't many that draw in more than others. Some people show up just to say hi and talk shop while others come to really learn and try and improve in areas they feel they lack.

I myself have driven to several different meetings. I frequent the Atl meetings (They're well organized and ALOT of fun) and have made several of the early NC meetings when they first started. I've been known to fly to IL for the MPG and drive up to VA for a meeting there (Bruce showing kitless techniques) and will be doing a demo at the MAPG.

I'd definitely try to make any national IAP event! Plus I'd be happy to do a demo if needed (hint hint)!
Old 04-15-2013, 10:51 PM   #12 (permalink)

Photos: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRobbins629 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty37 View Post
Are current local chapters chartered by IAP or simply ad hoc groups who have permission to use the IAP name and logo? If they are chartered then the IAP should develop a complete package defining all the hoops a group has to jump through to obtain a charter and set standards for retaining the charter.
Smitty - I think you will find that most groups are small, have no charter, and no other formal organization other than perhaps regular meeting times. As for using the logo, if we did, it would follow the IAP guidelines for logo use. Although we try, not all members of our penturners group are IAP members and we also have a dotted line to our local AAW chapter, but again not all members belong to that either. We are really just a small group that likes to make pens and talk about them every once in a while. Nothing more, nothing less.
That pretty much answers my question, you're saying there isn't much need for a very formal structure.
I sort of thought that but wanted to know.
Smitty37 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 04-15-2013, 10:59 PM   #13 (permalink)
Local Chapter Manager

Photos: 27

There has been no real formal structure and things have gone fine. It is not our intention to DIRECT the chapters. We hope to ASSIST the chapters when they have questions. Chapter leaders are running "by the seat of their pants". We hope to give them SUGGESTIONS for programs (demos) or other events that have been successful in other "chapters".

Let no one be concerned that Jeff has in mind to TELL chapters how to run. Instead he has asked us to ascertain how we can best assist in their growth and maintain whatever level of diversified "governance" they feel works for them. With the input of the chapter leaders both present and past, we hope to create a "reference book", which they can look to for some "path" that has worked before.
Advertisement
Old 04-15-2013, 11:12 PM   #14 (permalink)

Photos: 0

I was not aware there is a international annual meeting or event I would like to go. When and where. Perhaps we could have it, well anywhere would work. Canada is nice in the summer. It's really cool in the winter.

I am driving to Richmond to meet some great turners and learn some stuff.

I am from the Orlando, Florida area and the nearest club I can find is in Jacksonville. I have talked to our local WC here and he has said we could have a meeting there. Several other wood working clubs meet there. There is a general turning club that meets there, and they do some pens. So how do we see who is interested in an Orlando location?
Tom T is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 04-15-2013, 11:30 PM   #15 (permalink)

Photos: 23

By far the hardest task is providing demo content. The first few meetings were relatively easy but it gets difficult to come up with different topics. If demos at the big regional meetings (MPG type) could be video taped and made available to local chapters it would be a big help. Could the IAP produce 20-30 minute video demos? We can always go to YouTube but those are generally too short to fill a program. Just thinking out loud.
Central Arkansas IAP Chapter Member
edman2 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 04-16-2013, 12:52 AM   #16 (permalink)

Photos: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by edman2 View Post
By far the hardest task is providing demo content. The first few meetings were relatively easy but it gets difficult to come up with different topics. If demos at the big regional meetings (MPG type) could be video taped and made available to local chapters it would be a big help. Could the IAP produce 20-30 minute video demos? We can always go to YouTube but those are generally too short to fill a program. Just thinking out loud.
I used to collect coins and when we had meetings of our coin club, much of the meeting was spent swapping (coins, lies, etc.) and we also always had a "bourse" table where items for sale could be put up. Worked well there and I wonder if it might not help at local pen club meetings as well.
Smitty37 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 04-16-2013, 01:19 AM   #17 (permalink)

Photos: 4

We are lucky we have a president! Organization seems like a distant goal. We like to get together to remind ourselves that we are not alone - other people have this addiction and can offer hope. Demos as mentioned earlier are a challenge.

I think a national IAP meeting would be really cool! Especially if it were in Texas!!

Harry
plano_harry is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 04-16-2013, 02:03 AM   #18 (permalink)

Photos: 0

As long as you are seeking suggestions, I have a few. First, our group had quite a turnover in officers. As a result, I sent two emails to someone who was supposed to be an IAP chapter coordinator, to find out if we were officially recognized, and if not, how we could become so. I never received a reply to either email.

2. A way of passing around info between groups would be great. The idea expressed above for videos of demonstrations would be an excellent tool for helping us educate our members. We do have quite a few people on this site who have taken the initiative and made their own videos to aid fellow pen turners. I have found, suprisingly, that not all have access to high speed internet.

3. A list of clubs should be given to our faithful sponsors. A lot of new products become available and I know we have discussed them at club meetings. However, due to the fact that there are SO MANY different things to buy, we rarely see the latest "Lava Explosion" blank or "Stardust" blank, or if we do, its a long time after they come to market. Some sponsors might wish to send out a sample or two so the whole group could see the product, then see the results at the next meeting when a club members turns it. Combining a product sample with a short video, such as explaining the differences between Rhino plastic and Inlace Acrylester or Italian Lucite. I know that some of them turn different, but how are they different? Why and when would you use one type over another.....or is it merely customer preference? I think these types of informative videos would help people improve their product knowledge.

4. An information exchange between clubs as to meeting content would be helpful. We might be doing something novel at our meetings that others could benefit from. Then again, it could be that we could improve our meetings substantially by learning from others. Exchanging demo ideas would help the meeting content of all involved.

I hope this helps.

Bill
Secretary
Inland Northwest Pen Turners Association
www.inwpta.info

Last edited by OOPS; 04-16-2013 at 02:07 AM.
OOPS is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 04-20-2013, 08:59 PM   #19 (permalink)

Photos: 9

As a former leader in the Indy Chapter I would like to offer a few observations about our chapter and it's growth. Our group started with less than a dozen. We were fortunate to have "woodbutcher" Bill Bettag as one of our original members. He was doing and still does pen turning demo's at Rocklers and therefore had a steady stream of eager new turners. He kept an active email list of these people and along with the notices made here on the IAP our meetings easily average over 50 in attendance. We also have a member that was able to get us a meeting place for a group that size at his church. That has been a key in the success. We are also fortunate to have several great Vendors that are local and are very supportive of the group and meetings. They attend the meetings and bring their wares which is a great draw to the meetings. We have tried to keep the meetings very informative with demo's and talks along with door prizes, pen swaps, show & tell tables, free tables to sell your extras, etc. We have found that having to many meetings in a year is very taxing on those in charge and also difficult to keep the agenda fresh and exciting. We were trying quarterly meetings but may be cutting back from that. We recently selected new leadership and the excitement level is still there. Without a good group of volunteers any group will fizzle rapidly. We have those volunteers who have stepped up and I am looking forward to future meetings. The key is keeping a good contact list and using email to inform the group of meetings in a timely fashion and having an agenda that is worth giving up a Saturday morning to attend. For what that's worth.....
Old 04-20-2013, 09:09 PM   #20 (permalink)
Local Chapter Manager

Photos: 27

THANK YOU, Ron!!

The "steering committee" has been busy this week. We have delegated the chapters to the members of the committee and we are working on developing a questionnaire to gain information from the chapter leaders. We expect this will be complete by the end of the month and we should be starting to write our "manual" within 45 days.

So ALL information from local members or leaders is useful!!!

PLEASE keep it coming!!
Thanks!!

Ed
Temporary chapter steering team coordinator
Logged on members can hide ads