2013 input from Chapters - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Welcome to penturners.org! > IAP Management Team > Local Chapter Manager
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Local Chapter Manager Ed Brown (ed4copies) is the IAP Local Chapter Manager

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2013, 04:46 PM   #1 (permalink)
Local Chapter Manager

Photos: 27

Default 2013 input from Chapters

Chapter "key personnel", we are looking for your input!!!

Please tell us (the seven man team who hopes to help make the chapters more effective) what YOU see as the role of the "national" IAP.

thanks,
the chapter coordination steering team
ed4copies is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 04-15-2013, 08:33 AM   #2 (permalink)

Photos: 14

Being one of the newest in charge, 1st meeting done. I would have liked a 1 page printout of keys to a great 1st meeting. Basic by-laws and expectations of the group maybe the iAP mission statement.

Phil
I shall pass through this world but once. Any good therefore that I can do or any kindness that I can show to any human being, let me do it now. Let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.
― Stephen Grellet

Deuteronomy 31:6
Romans 14:8
firewhatfire is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 04-15-2013, 12:13 PM   #3 (permalink)

Photos: 49

The Richmond Penturners group has been active for several years. We meet every other month on the second thursday from about 7 - 9 at our local Woodcraft any typically get 10-15 in attendance. Our biggest challenges are getting more members - its hard to find out we exist - and finding demo topics.

With that in mind, the IAP national could better advertize the groups that do have formal and scheduled meetings and get contact info for the less formal ones. Make them more visible. If a newcomer introduces themselves, someone from the committee could point them to the nearest club. Perhaps a link on the front page to a website that identifies all clubs, their meeting times, and contact info. If there is a scheduled demo, that too should be visible. Some will travel pretty far if the demo is attractive.

A list of good demos for groups that struggle in this area would also be nice. We've done finishing, casting, closed end pens, calligraphy pens, reverse painting, kitless, and have antler and celtic knots in the cue but still struggle for ideas.

If there are members who like to demo and are availabe to travel that to would be good to know. Maybe indicate their topics and if they need reimbursement for travel, etc.

Info on how to start a new chapter.

BRobbins629 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Advertisement
Old 04-15-2013, 01:25 PM   #4 (permalink)
Local Chapter Manager

Photos: 27

Thank you Phil and Bruce!!!

This is exactly the type of information that we would like to receive. So, if you have been to a chapter meeting, or if you are the "honcho" for your chapter, please give us feedback of what you would like to give or take away from the "national" chapter coordinators!!

THANKS!!!!
Ed
ed4copies is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 04-15-2013, 01:50 PM   #5 (permalink)

Photos: 35

I like Bruce's idea of the IAP advertising the local chapters more. Perhaps the IAP could host a calendar of events that included the local chapter meetings (and maybe even their major topic or demo). I think that the IAP could also serve as a clearinghouse of ideas and information for local chapters. It would be useful for one chapter to share how they structure their meetings, and what sort of activities draw and retain attendees. For example, I dropped in on a Michigan chapter meeting once, and they had a very interesting raffle set up. If the local chapter section had a "share your ideas" forum, then someone from MI could explain how their raffle works, and why it serves them well. Each chapter has its own style, but there's no reason we couldn't share notes on chapter structure, demo topics, funding methods, etc.

Regards,
Eric
http://www.bulletpenkits.com
Sylvanite is online now   Reply With Quote Top
Old 04-15-2013, 02:05 PM   #6 (permalink)

Photos: 1

Are current local chapters chartered by IAP or simply ad hoc groups who have permission to use the IAP name and logo? If they are chartered then the IAP should develop a complete package defining all the hoops a group has to jump through to obtain a charter and set standards for retaining the charter.
Smitty37 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 04-15-2013, 02:06 PM   #7 (permalink)
Chapter Steering Committee

Photos: 0

As one of the seven team members I'm like to thank everyone for their input.
The more info you give us the better job we can do to help you. Let's hear from some more of the chapter leaders.

Wisconsin Chapter Leader

http://woodjunky.weebly.com/

My money talks to me, it says good bye.
A penny saved is a government oversight.
ssajn is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 04-15-2013, 03:49 PM   #8 (permalink)

Photos: 5

I second Dave's comment above. I, too, am "one of the seven" and am looking forward to hearing from everyone so we can make the local chapter program viable and responsive to members' needs.

John
USN (Ret)
Carolina Piedmont Chapter
walshjp17 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 04-15-2013, 04:03 PM   #9 (permalink)

Photos: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty37 View Post
Are current local chapters chartered by IAP or simply ad hoc groups who have permission to use the IAP name and logo? If they are chartered then the IAP should develop a complete package defining all the hoops a group has to jump through to obtain a charter and set standards for retaining the charter.
Smitty - I think you will find that most groups are small, have no charter, and no other formal organization other than perhaps regular meeting times. As for using the logo, if we did, it would follow the IAP guidelines for logo use. Although we try, not all members of our penturners group are IAP members and we also have a dotted line to our local AAW chapter, but again not all members belong to that either. We are really just a small group that likes to make pens and talk about them every once in a while. Nothing more, nothing less.

BRobbins629 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 04-15-2013, 06:24 PM   #10 (permalink)

Photos: 34

Phil,
In my very humble opinion, I think when the local chapters first started, not only was there little knowledge of how it would go over, there was little interest in limiting it's possibilities. Not knowing what kind of life it would take on, there was no need to corral the members who could make their chapter what they wanted. So, even now, why put limits on inspired minds with bylaws and mandates, unless they negatively reflect on the IAP? A few "rules of thumb" of running a good meeting may be most helpful, and I expect you will see that happen very soon, stay tuned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by firewhatfire View Post
Being one of the newest in charge, 1st meeting done. I would have liked a 1 page printout of keys to a great 1st meeting. Basic by-laws and expectations of the group maybe the iAP mission statement.

Phil
goldmountainwoodworks.blogspot.com/
"My pens grow on trees"

Last edited by Glenn McCullough; 04-15-2013 at 06:28 PM.
Glenn McCullough is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads