Want to try making clips and CB? Gauging interest thread

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
Please go to this thread: http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=70830 This activity is taking place there.

There are a few of on here that enjoy making silver parts using the lost wax cast method to individualize our pens. I thought it might make it more interesting if more joined in on the fun so if enough are interested in my idea (a minimum of about ten would be good but the more the merrier) here's what I had in mind.
1) I would provide a list of suggested supplies and sources, a few pictures of some of the things I and others have done, and some general guidelines. To start investment would be about $20, possibly less, or more if you choose to get some tools which could help but are not really necessary at this point (Don't worry, if you like this there are plenty of places to spend money). Depending on the number of participants, I would probably limit the number of pieces per person to 2 or 3 (1 is okay too), but lets see the interest level first.

2) Each participant would then fabricate parts in wax. Nibs, center bands, clips, finials or what ever their imagination dictates could be made. These can be anything from hand carved, scroll sawed, lathe turned, milled, CNCed etc. We could share progress, discuss issues, provide help, etc in a thread.

3) I would be willing to collect the wax models and send them off to be cast in sterling silver for cost. Labor typically ranges from $5 to simple parts to $20 for complex overlays. The silver will be billed at cost with is now is about $25 per ounce. Pen parts really don't use that much silver. Final cost will typically be much less than a high end kit. Instruction for payment will follow, but it will be after I get the parts cast. If you want to save time, I can recommend a caster, but there are usually minimum order quantities of $50 or so.

4) I would send you the parts back for finishing. This usually requires some hand filing and polishing (manual or electric).

Approximate time line:
1-2 months to purchase supplies and make some parts
1 week to send wax models to me
2 weeks to get cast parts back
1 week to figure costs/get paid/ship back to you.

Or – go it alone and save some time.

Post here if interested or ask questions. This is not a commitment. Once I decide this is a go, I will start another thread with parts list, etc. I will listen to any ideas ideas for improvement so suggest away.

Last edited by a moderator:

DurocShark

Yeah, I've been wanting to try it for a while, but really wanted some hand-holding. This is a perfect opportunity!

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
Looks like this is going to be a go!! In the next day or so, look for a new thread in this forum with some pictures and details.

And I just got some other good news. I heard from Mike (mredburn) and he has generously agreed to help me. He will be a great resource for answering questions and mentioned he has a stash of wax that he may be able to cut in small pieces for those who only want a small amount.

Stay tuned!!

ctubbs

Daddy, let me try! I can do it! I know I can do it! Daddy, can I ,huh, can I. Oh please, oh please, let me try.
Count me in too if there is room.
Charles

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
I'm really liking the response so far. Somehow we'll make room for everyone who wants to participate so jump in. We may have to do the casting in waves, but that's okay too. The early birds may get to play sooner, but the slower ones will have learning to build on.

Mr Vic

Been on my mind. I'd like to participate. Also, let me know if you if you need any additional help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom