Spring 2014 Pen Photos

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

toddlajoie

Holy cow people are moving quickly on this one. I got a message today that the first pen in our Spring 2014 PITH featuring Found-On-Ground materials has arrived, so when you get them, post the photos here.

I can't wait to see what you all have come up with!!!

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
I'm a big winner in this PITH in many ways. Not only did I have the good fortune to be the recipient of a Plantman (Jim Schumacher) pen -- he actually sent me two awesome pens and some great blanks. And - I didn't have to wait very long to get them. :)

The main pen is a Sugar Maple on a Gold Vertex Magnetic rollerball that came in a leather pen pouch. This wood came from a tree that Jim planted a little too near a stream on his property & was killed by the water flow undercutting the root system. Jim used a dark green alcohol ink to bring out the bird's eye pattern then an orange alcohol ink to bring out the warm, honey color. The chatoyancy of the maple is really great and Jim's CA finish really makes it quite showy.

The second pen is a Black Enamel .30 Cal Bolt Action that came in a clear top pen box. Jim made the blank for this pen from an Indian Hooded Cobra skin - talk about "found on the ground". This one is finished off with about 30 coats of thick CA.

The blanks are spalted oak, tamarac, cypress, marble wood and a gorgeous mystery blank that is some kind of highly figured spalted burl. The fit & finish on both pens are perfect - my pictures don't do them justice.

Thanks Jim - these pens will have a prominent place in my collection & I'm looking forward to giving these new blanks a whirl.

Edgar

Attachments

• PithSet2.jpg
    PithSet2.jpg
    378.6 KB · Views: 473
  • PithSet1.jpg
    PithSet1.jpg
    427.8 KB · Views: 422

plantman

I'm a big winner in this PITH in many ways. Not only did I have the good fortune to be the recipient of a Plantman (Jim Schumacher) pen -- he actually sent me two awesome pens and some great blanks. And - I didn't have to wait very long to get them. :)

The main pen is a Sugar Maple on a Gold Vertex Magnetic rollerball that came in a leather pen pouch. This wood came from a tree that Jim planted a little too near a stream on his property & was killed by the water flow undercutting the root system. Jim used a dark green alcohol ink to bring out the bird's eye pattern then an orange alcohol ink to bring out the warm, honey color. The chatoyancy of the maple is really great and Jim's CA finish really makes it quite showy.

The second pen is a Black Enamel .30 Cal Bolt Action that came in a clear top pen box. Jim made the blank for this pen from an Indian Hooded Cobra skin - talk about "found on the ground". This one is finished off with about 30 coats of thick CA.

The blanks are spalted oak, tamarac, cypress, marble wood and a gorgeous mystery blank that is some kind of highly figured spalted burl. The fit & finish on both pens are perfect - my pictures don't do them justice.

Thanks Jim - these pens will have a prominent place in my collection & I'm looking forward to giving these new blanks a whirl.

Edgar

Glad you enjoyed the pens Edgar !! It was fun making them for you. Jim S

jsolie

I need to get going on my pen. My daughter's wedding is now in the rear view mirror, so I should have some time tomorrow. And I think I've found the blank I was intending to use!

JasonC

Received my PITH today. Black Ti/Platinum Sierra made from an awesome cast blank, but sadly I'm unsure what is cast into the blank. I initially thought it was mini pine cones but after seeing the extra blanks that were sent with the pen I'm lost. :redface:

Wife saw the pen and, as is to be expected, asked if it was for her. :rolleyes:

Also included were some cool cast blanks. Since I've never worked with blanks like this I'm looking forward to putting them to use. I see some segmenting in the future for the layered blank. :)

Attachments

• 10409048_4323421501021_6355970421967730_n.jpg
    10409048_4323421501021_6355970421967730_n.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 337
  • 10247370_769942336371961_7137777913671429324_n.jpg
    10247370_769942336371961_7137777913671429324_n.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 274

Edward Cypher

Keep wife happy.

If wife is happy everyone is happy, besides you have the blanks to play with.

Received my PITH today. Black Ti/Platinum Sierra made from an awesome cast blank, but sadly I'm unsure what is cast into the blank. I initially thought it was mini pine cones but after seeing the extra blanks that were sent with the pen I'm lost. :redface:

Also included were some cool cast blanks. Since I've never worked with blanks like this I'm looking forward to putting them to use. I see some segmenting in the future for the layered blank. :)

southernclay

My PITH partner is bjbear76 and he crushed it! Bill sent me a TI Gold Sierra matched with cherry (from an ice storm felled branch) and segmented with red oak found in the barn of his sister in law. The pen is finished with Doctor's Woodshop Pens Plus and has a Schmidt EasyFlow 9000 refill (nice touch Bill). As you can see in the photos he included a piece of the Cherry branch and his branded box, again nice touch.

The fit, finish and segmenting work on this pen are awesome.

I appreciate Bill!
Warren

Attachments

• DSCF5505.jpg
    DSCF5505.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 274
  • DSCF5513.jpg
    DSCF5513.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 301
This is the pith pen I sent Rounder. It was to be a fog but it is a fow. Found this piece of wood floating on a weed line about 36 miles off the coast of the North Carolina's outer banks while fishing about 2 years ago. Just think of the stories this piece of wood could tell.

Attachments

• rounder1.JPG
    rounder1.JPG
    11.8 KB · Views: 264

JasonC

Found out they ARE mini pine cones and the pink/white blank has cherry pits cast into it.

:)

kingkeyman

Sent off my PITH to ottotroll today. It was my first casting, and it came out perfectly. Now I have separation anxiety, I wanted to keep it for myself. I like to keep my first timers so I can gauge my progress. I hope Richard likes it.:)

Rounder

This is the pith pen I sent Rounder. It was to be a fog but it is a fow. Found this piece of wood floating on a weed line about 36 miles off the coast of the North Carolina's outer banks while fishing about 2 years ago. Just think of the stories this piece of wood could tell.

And a very nice pen indeed! Very interesting story and a piece of the wood to make something of my own. THANKS Bill.

its_virgil

Kelly Moore, aks Krash was the person who sent me a pen for the Spring 2014 PITH. Thanks Kelly! What an addition to my collection. The pen is made from tamarisk and sagebrush with soda can pieces used for some segmenting at the center band and clip end. The pen is well made with a nice finish. I hope everyone who participated had a good experience and received a pen they really like. Thanks again Kelly!
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Attachments

• IMG_0005.jpg
    IMG_0005.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 259

ottotroll

Sent off my PITH to ottotroll today. It was my first casting, and it came out perfectly. Now I have separation anxiety, I wanted to keep it for myself. I like to keep my first timers so I can gauge my progress. I hope Richard likes it.:)

I love it!
First, a big THANK YOU to kingkeyman.My pen is awesome. I feel honored to receive your first casting attempt - it is great! -
1) orange stripes from a Home Depot Bucket Lid
2) Blue stripes from a drywall mud bucket lid
3) Copper stripes from a copper pipe
4) Aluminum stripes from a piece of flashing
5) black stripes from some kind of ductwork connector
Inside casting is a Leinienkugel beer cap, over an aluminum foil background.
I also want to thank David especially for the "bowling ball blanks and pen kit - I turned it tonight, and my wife has already claimed it! (never heard of a scented bowling ball before I read one of your earlier posts...
I apologize for the bad pics, I will have my wife take some tomorrow...

Pith 1 Photo by ottotroll | Photobucket

kingkeyman

I love it!
First, a big THANK YOU to kingkeyman.My pen is awesome. I feel honored to receive your first casting attempt - it is great! -
1) orange stripes from a Home Depot Bucket Lid
2) Blue stripes from a drywall mud bucket lid
3) Copper stripes from a copper pipe
4) Aluminum stripes from a piece of flashing
5) black stripes from some kind of ductwork connector
Inside casting is a Leinienkugel beer cap, over an aluminum foil background.

I also want to thank David especially for the "bowling ball blanks and pen kit - I turned it tonight, and my wife has already claimed it! (never heard of a scented bowling ball before I read one of your earlier posts...
I apologize for the bad pics, I will have my wife take some tomorrow...

Pith 1 Photo by ottotroll | Photobucket

I'm glad you like it.It was an absolute thrill making that pen. I've been afraid of casting for some time now, but thanks to this forum I am well read on the subject, and everybody else did all the trial and error stuff for me. Thanks guys!! BTW, I wouldn't recommend turning a piece of copper pipe glued to a plastic bucket lid. Takes a lot of patience

Krash

Glad you like it Don!
The PITH was a fun exercize and challenging also since it caused me to think outside the box .... or use the box to make the pen!

Kelly Moore, aks Krash was the person who sent me a pen for the Spring 2014 PITH. Thanks Kelly! What an addition to my collection. The pen is made from tamarisk and sagebrush with soda can pieces used for some segmenting at the center band and clip end. The pen is well made with a nice finish. I hope everyone who participated had a good experience and received a pen they really like. Thanks again Kelly!
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Last edited:

Wheelman

Mine shipped today. It was like a game of Tetris trying to fit the pen in a flat rate box...the packing material kept getting in the way. I used the trunk from our Christmas tree (Douglas Fir) and some maple burl...first time trying segmenting.

kovalcik

I finished my pen for Sylvia and I am going to try to get it to the post office today depending on my work schedule. If not today, it will have to go out Monday as I am going out of town for a few days.

ottotroll

I mailed my pens yesterday to Hard Hat (Brett). I was a bit unsatisfied with one, so I made a second one, which I enclosed, also... It was sent 2 Day Priority,so hopefully will arrive Friday, or Saturday latest -

Brian G

I sent my PITH to USNR'03 today. It's slated for Saturday delivery. A few other things "fell" in the box, too. :wink:

I'll fill in with some backstory after the PITH arrives in VA Beach. The backstory involves the FOG wood, a concerned citizen, a hand saw, and turtles. :eek:

JasonC

Will put my PITH in the mail tomorrow. Wanted to do some segmenting but I've been too busy with hospital visits to do more than I did - which was blow up two blanks and finally have success with the third. :rolleyes:

mlconnelly

Pen and a few goodies are going in the mail to Penmaker1967 later this morning. This was my first PITH and I have enjoyed it very much. I will try to post a picture of the great pen I got from Swaggopenturner over the weekend.

penmaker1967

you are right i forgot to put the note in the box but it was made from a christmas tree blank. the kit was a black crome creekline

Nedge

PITH Pen

I received my pen and some blanks earlier in the week from BayouPenturner. He used spalted oak with an Executive Rhodium kit, a very nice combination with a CA finish. The blanks he sent were pecan, oak and mahogany.
Thanks Again Jim,
Ed

Attachments

• DSC00034.JPG
    DSC00034.JPG
    157.6 KB · Views: 174
  • DSC00037.JPG
    DSC00037.JPG
    129.8 KB · Views: 137
  • DSC00038.JPG
    DSC00038.JPG
    115.1 KB · Views: 158
  • DSC00039.JPG
    DSC00039.JPG
    144.5 KB · Views: 159

alankulwicki7

Here's the PITH pen I received from Mike (lathemaster). It's a beautiful piece of FOG on a Gold Jr Retro (I think). The finish is lacquer. The finish has a nice soft feel while the wood has a rustic quality. The pen has an almost distressed look to it and I love it! :biggrin: And considering our house is filled with antiques and distressed furniture, this pen really fits my style.

The box is a very nice addition and Mike also included some Florida Rosewood as packing material.

Thanks for the great pen, Mike!:biggrin:

Attachments

• 14pithb.jpg
    14pithb.jpg
    202.9 KB · Views: 164
  • 14pitha.jpg
    14pitha.jpg
    204.5 KB · Views: 172

Simply.Sylvia

FOG PITH

image.jpgHi All, I received my SPRING 2014 FOG PITH PEN! Kovalcik out did himself....my pen is beautiful! The kit that he used was the Artisan Zen with magnetic cap....one of my favorite kits to write with! I am unsure of the wood but I will let you all know as soon as I do. Here is a photo of the pen. The photo does not do this pen justice. He also included several blanks for future pen! Thank you so much!!!

plantman

Here is the pen and blanks I received fome Doug Swanson (alankulwicki7) The pen blank is Buchthorn with a beautiful grain and a knot worked into the center. Finish is flawless and smooth. Not sure of the pen kit however, but the chrome goes well with the blank. He also sent me some very interesting blanks. A flamed Walnut, Hickory, Sasafras, a mistery green dyed blank, and a very interesting oak that was removed from the lake and is black and gray in color, also a blank of Angico Prieto (Curupay). Thant you Doug. Jim S

Attachments

• DSCF0001 (800x569).jpg
    DSCF0001 (800x569).jpg
    345.5 KB · Views: 173
  • DSCF0002 (800x617).jpg
    DSCF0002 (800x617).jpg
    403.8 KB · Views: 199
  • DSCF0003 (279x800).jpg
    DSCF0003 (279x800).jpg
    188.5 KB · Views: 169
  • DSCF0004 (278x800).jpg
    DSCF0004 (278x800).jpg
    175.4 KB · Views: 157
Last edited:

JCochrun

Got these in the mail today from Jerry (Seer). I couldn't be more happy and pleased with what he sent. I love it. The pen is a Triton from Redwood Burl with a CA finish. There were several blanks including a Jack Daniels one that I have been wanting to try. There was also a blank from a bowling ball. I can't wait to make some pens from these. Jerry, you totally rock. Great job.

Jim

Penn Valley, CA

Attachments

• 013ef084f980afe52ccffb7aa9cbf2c75a83d5550a.jpg
    013ef084f980afe52ccffb7aa9cbf2c75a83d5550a.jpg
    153.2 KB · Views: 181
  • 012b25d5b32160981ee6b76d2bfcf8570fd85f6419.jpg
    012b25d5b32160981ee6b76d2bfcf8570fd85f6419.jpg
    194.4 KB · Views: 188
  • 0109ca20fd4579e6613e509ec2178c71d6dba7a299.jpg
    0109ca20fd4579e6613e509ec2178c71d6dba7a299.jpg
    166.9 KB · Views: 176

alankulwicki7

That's a lazerlinez liberty, awesome pen!

Thanks for the ID !!! The chatoyancy on this pen is stunning !!Jim S

Sorry I forgot to tell you the pen kit, Jim. I'm pretty pleased with how this pen turned out. The blank was a scrap from a larger piece of Buckthorn that was probably headed for the fire pit. I bet I searched my shop and burn pile about 3 times before I decided to give this piece a try. Glad you like it!

kovalcik

Hi Sylvia,

Gald you like the pen. It is spalted maple. And the wood was actually found twice. Last year i was clearing some trees to build a chicken coop. A few of the logs were forgotten for a while in the woods, and when I got back to them, they had spalted very nicely. One of the logs became a bowl (I will post a picture after I get home). While digging around in my kindling pile for a good PITH blank, I found the scraps left over from cutting the bowl blank and there was enough for a few pen blanks. I really like the Zen kit. I tell people it is bacause it shows off the blank so well, but more likely it is because there is no way to mess up and assemble it the wrong way. Either way, I thought the maple and gun metal Zen would look great together.

Enjoy the pen Sylvia. Use it well.

Top Bottom