Should IAP Activities be Sponsored by Venders? Please read then vote

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Should IAP Activities be Sponsored by Venders?

• I liked vendors sponsoring and naming Birthday Bash events.

Votes: 103 73.6%
  • I did not like vendors sponsoring and naming Birthday Bash events.

Votes: 11 7.9%
  • I don't care.

Votes: 26 18.6%

• Total voters

mbroberg

IAP Activities Manager, Emeritus
Please read this post before you vote.
In 2013 the IAP offered vendors the opportunity to sponsor Birthday Bash events. Several vendors took advantage of this. The vendors supplied the prizes to be given away to the winners of the contests they sponsored. In return the vendor had his name attached to the contest title. The prizes supplied by the vendors through sponsorship were in addition to the prizes otherwise donated to the IAP by vendors. Some members have said that they liked the vendor sponsorships and the prizes the vendors supplied for the contest they sponsored. Others say that the Birthday Bash will, or already has, become too commercial. What do you say?

Please take the time to vote. The results of this poll will influence future IAP activities.

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

timcbs

I would like to say that I like it and have found Vendors that I did not know about and they have item I wanted to buy.

Thanks

markgum

having the Vendor's name front and center helps me remember who to support through the year. With my failing memory (by the hour according to the boss lady) Names right there sure help.

walshjp17

Agree with Mike. While the names of the contests are longer -- reminds of the difference between the 'Fiesta Bowl' and the 'Tostitos Fiesta Bowl' -- it does have its positive benefits as you've outlined.

I prefer having the vendors participate as it shows us who is really actively supporting our community.

Every sporting stadium in America has a sponsor, Hell Nascar has like 43,273 sponsors (and they all get thanked every chance they can)....hmmmm The Serenitywoodworks Exotic Blanks Classic Nib SMitty Pen Works SilverPenParts Rikon Lathe was running good today, she gave me a bit of a problem around that front section but she held true and brought it home...

mbroberg

IAP Activities Manager, Emeritus
This poll was posted approximately 14 hours ago In that short time 83 people have voted. If you have not done so yet, why not take a second and cast a vote?

GaryMGg

I voted.
I selected the third option.
I actually do care but the other two options don't match my opinion closely enough.
My thoughts fairly closely align with Eric's post.

robutacion

Hi peoples,

I can understand perfectly the sentiment behind the question/issue however, I believe that, vendors are normally the ones in a better position to offer prizes on any sort of competition/challenge, after all, they are the ones that provided (or should), the best service to IAP members, considering that most of the present vendors, where regular IAP members that decided, or were in the position to provide IAP members with products of their needs/wants so, I see absolutely no reason why "they" (vendors) shouldn't be accepted and recognized for the efforts, not forgetting that for them, is a cost/investment associated with offering prizes free of charge so, a little return in a way of making sure everyone knows who is providing those free prizes/gifts, is only fair...!

There is off-course that medium balance and the equal treatment to all vendors, big or small, when I see everyone (vendors) treated equal, I have no problems with the issue raised...!

Cheers
George

Last edited:

healeydays

having the Vendor's name front and center helps me remember who to support through the year. With my failing memory (by the hour according to the boss lady) Names right there sure help.

I too will give the sponsors my 1st look for purchases, so it definitely is in the sponsor's best interest to keep sponsoring and as long as they don't try to control the contest, I see no reason not to have them involved...

BSea

Like GaryMGg, I voted for #3. In no way do I think it's a bad idea, but I don't think it really helps the contest either. Is this the 1st year for a specific vendor to sponsor an event? If it helps the BASH, and helped raise more money for the site, then I'm all for it.

I doesn't bother me for a vendor to be associated with the contest no matter how the wording is done. In fact, the NASCAR analogy isn't all that bad. Why not have a 3 vendors sponsor an event. 1 for each prize. This might promote more vendor involvement, especially from the smaller vendors.

Last edited:

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
As a sponsor, personally it makes no difference to me - except I donated $175 more in prizes than I would have without the sponsorship. I would still have nonated a prize or possibly 2 but the total would have been a lot less than the sponsor's prizes.

I also think most of the sponsors were people who strongly support the IAP anyway. Based strictly on the ROI and profit motive a lot of us would have to spend much less than we do - we do not support this organization strictly for profits.

Last edited:

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
I liked having the sponsors (although noone wanted to sponsor my contest :frown::crying:). The only thing I'd like to see different would be to break up the prizes among all the various contests.

This year was the first and had an "experimental" flavor. There was little time to notify potential sponsors and the rules were being honed as the event drew "ever closer". IF this becomes an accepted practice for the bash, the IAP should have a member who contacts the potential sponsors in September, outlining the rules and benefits.

As to the question of "small" vendors: The IAP is a unique form of "dictatorship". Jeff is ultimately the "top dog" who has to be responsible for all the decisions. HOWEVER, he involves a number of people to moderate and "manage". These folks have his ear for input. YOU, as a member or small vendor ALSO have his ear. Write a PM to Jeff, or to both Jeff and Mike Broberg (Activity chair) expressing YOUR vision of how your small "business" could be involved in the sponsorship program. Be assured EVERY reasonable input is evaluated and will have some part in structuring the final "sponsorship" rules.

Just another FWIW,
Ed

Top Bottom