troop3.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 172

MikeG

These 35 will be mailed by Monday.
Corian0001.JPG
25 from Corian

pens0001.JPG
1 - Curly Maple, 2 - Sassafras, 3 - Maple, 4 - Walnut

I want to thank ed4copies and Smitty37 for the pen kits and DonWood, ctubbs, sgimbel and aggromere for the blanks. Without your support I would not have been able to participate as I've been unemployed since the end of 2009.
Thank you

GaryMGg

Hey guys, I've been pretty well sequestered w/o phone or 'net access since Thursday last week working on projects.
There's still time to get your contributions to me.
Thank you.
Thank you for your participation!
Gary

When is the dead line? I should be able to get a pen or two out.

Wife is headed through Hog Town tomorrow - stopping to update our clothing posture on the way home from her mom's in Eustis.

Go Gators!

Sean

GaryMGg

Still time to send those pens for our servicemen and women.
I'm on business travel today and my wife will be joining me at the beach
when I return, so packages sent to our home will sit at the Post Office
until next week after the holiday.
Thanks.
Gary

GaryMGg

I want to update everyone as the deadline for delivering the pens draws near.
My original goal of 5,000 pens was, perhaps, a bit lofty -- at least for a first year.
However, I'm still very pleased with the results: I'm so honored by y'all for the support which this project received.
To date, over 700 pens have been donated.

I've got to single out two members who helped make this effort a success in a big way:
Leroy "Smitty" Smith and Ed "The Resinator" Brown.
As I went thru the contributions and repacked the pens, I found note after note stating how either
Ed or Smitty had donated the kits being used for the pens being given our Servicemen and women.
Gentlemen, I salute you! :highfive::bananen_smilies046:

I salute all of you who participated; thank you.
Gary

GaryMGg

Yes, I'm going to do this for next year and hopefully have a larger number to donate.
You provide quite a nice contribution this year. I appreciate it!
Thanks,
Gary

asyler

Local Chapter Leader
like you said,, smitty and ed helped a lot with supplies,, and thank you for pulling this together for the service folk.

JeffT

Gary,

I have five coming to you this week. Thanks for coordinating this!

BTW - glad to see the Gators go to Omaha!

JeffT

GaryMGg

Folks,
Wednesday, I shipped more than 700 pens to be delivered to our Service Men and women.
The Annual Convention is next week so I'll have more to report on after it's complete.
Thank you all again for the support this past year.
Gary

steeler fan1

G1Pens

I assume that the picture album is not all the pens as there are no wheres close to 700 pens in those pictures. I guess we have to assume that our pens got to you, even if they are not in the pictures.

GaryMGg

Carl,

I have a spreadsheet on another computer with each box received (so long as it had an address) and the quantity.
I saw this thread
http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=79096
where you posted asking about pens for troops and Rich said he'd be sending them.

I'll check the other computer and get back to you and Gary both.

One thing is for sure--I believe I didn't get photos of every pen received.
Some were packaged in a manner wherein I couldn't get details well.

I learned a lot in order to do a better job this year.
Thanks again for all your support.
Gary

GregHight

If someone is doing a turn-a-thon to make pens for troops, let me know if you want some RhinoPlastic donations. I am an ex-army airborne infantry soldier (1989-1993) and proud to do anything that supports our troops.

asyler

Local Chapter Leader
hope you ve started collecting again,, sent a box off tues,, kits by me and ken(birshire) turned on cedar & yellow pine,, allen

Woodlvr

Gary,
I am trying to get a package together and wanted to make sure that it is still ok to send them to you? It will be a couple of weeks before I will have them done. Thanks for your efforts collecting pens and phone cards for our servicemen. Also my personal thanks to those that take the time to make pens for donation.

GaryMGg

Carl, Gary, and Todd
Your pens were received and sent to the men and women in service.

This past year, I got some good experience and I plan to do a better job of
communicating back to each of you, posting photos, and coordinating the donations.
One thing I'm going to work on immediately is trying to obtain an inexpensive case for all the pens we deliver
-- like some of the clear plastic cases I've seen.
It would make management and packing easier, and there are other benefits to the recipients.

What else do y'all think I could do to make this work better?

Thank you again.

GregHight

info card

Do you guys include a small info card that says what the pen was turned from and who turned it. I know if I recieved a hand made pen, I'd like to at least send an email and say "thanks".

Keep in mind that most young soldiers wont have a clue what kind of wood it is, even if it's as identifiable as purple heart! Also, let them know what kind of refill it takes.

steeler fan1

Carl, Gary, and Todd
Your pens were received and sent to the men and women in service.

This past year, I got some good experience and I plan to do a better job of
communicating back to each of you, posting photos, and coordinating the donations.
One thing I'm going to work on immediately is trying to obtain an inexpensive case for all the pens we deliver
-- like some of the clear plastic cases I've seen.
It would make management and packing easier, and there are other benefits to the recipients.

What else do y'all think I could do to make this work better?

Thank you again.

Hi Gary,

Thanks for the update. Glad to know they hadn't got lost in the mail. If there is anything we can do when sending them please let us know. Perhaps some general guidelines such as packaging, what to include, etc.

You do a great job coordinating this project and anything we can do to make your "job" easier I'm all for, just let us know.

Thank you again, praying someday we wont have troops in harms way in faraway places.

God bless.
Carl

GaryMGg

I want to let everyone know I will be doing ServicePens again.
So, please let's get those pen contributions rolling.
I have special news for those who want to participate in person! Stay tuned... :biggrin:

GaryMGg

Just a thought: as of today, this thread has had more than 10,000 views.
Obviously, those are unique viewers BUT
If each person who looks at this thread sends just ONE pen, we'd be able to donate thousands of pens to our Servicemen and women.
Please make a pen for our Servicemen and women.

Thank you.

Jim Burr

Banned
Just a thought: as of today, this thread has had more than 10,000 views.
Obviously, those are unique viewers BUT
If each person who looks at this thread sends just ONE pen, we'd be able to donate thousands of pens to our Servicemen and women.
Please make a pen for our Servicemen and women.

Thank you.

I should add a note here; On Friday, my son graduated from MCRD San Diego. At his request, I brought 15 pens for his closest platoon friends. They are a few days into a 10 day leave then back to Pendelton for more training. His Gunny was amazed by his pen and wanted a lot of details. They were all well received and even though they are new and tough, I got a lot of hugs from some of the best kids in the world, but none more so than my son...Semper Fi John...Oo Rah!!

carpblaster

I once found a site that had the navy insignia that would go on the slim line and lost it, my son is in the navy on ship and they love the pens isent him and made one and a box for yr retirement, If any one knows the site where i can buy the insignias of the ranks please pm me , some of them would be nice to go also,even there not on land there in the ship off shore,still away from loved ones
carpblaster

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Top Bottom