ServicePens 2015

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

GaryMGg

Time to start collecting pens for the great Servicemen and women protecting America.
For 2014, we contributed 533 pens.
For 2015, I hope we'll have more contributors than we've ever had.
For 2015, I hope we'll have more contributions than we've ever had.

Freedom is not free; each pen says "We honor you for the work you do."
Please participate.

Thank you,
Gary

GaryMGg

Hi Tony
It's easy: make 1 to N number of any pen(s) you like and mail them to me.
Or, organize a group of local folks and encourage them to make pens.
I got my local turning club involved--two of 'em in fact.
One member here got his local Kiwanis club to sponsor kits.
He sent 100 great pens.
Any other questions, please don't hesitate to ask.
Thank you.

TonyL

Ok...so nothing specific? Just make you feel like making and send right? Thank you.

glenspens

pens for 2015

Will get them packed and sent out next week. Made over 50 did not get pic of them all. A big thanks to Gary for doing this and thanks to Smitty's Pen Works for having a sale on the pen kits so I could make and give them to our service members.:usflag:

Attachments

• DSCN5234.JPG
    DSCN5234.JPG
    203.9 KB · Views: 281
  • DSCN5236.JPG
    DSCN5236.JPG
    201.7 KB · Views: 207

glenspens

no pic :eek: (i know no pic did not happen ) but Southernclay i did use some of the wood and pen kits you sent me...:confused: well i know 1 or 2 of the pens in the pic have wood from southernclay but i don't rem. which ones :redface:

southernclay

no pic :eek: (i know no pic did not happen ) but Southernclay i did use some of the wood and pen kits you sent me...:confused: well i know 1 or 2 of the pens in the pic have wood from southernclay but i don't rem. which ones :redface:

Haha, I have no concerns about you doing something you said you'll do! Awesome group of pens you sent!

glenspens

Haha, I have no concerns about you doing something you said you'll do! Awesome group of pens you sent!
Thanks Warren I got in a hurry to get them put in bags then to lazy to go through and take them out to take pic :eek:

hcpens

Just a reminder, if I may. The service persons field uniforms pen/pencil arm slot will barely take anything larger than a slim. They don't want to fall on a sharp item carried in a front chest pocket, so most that I know use the arm slot. BUT please don't take this as any grip about what has been already made, as they are real happy to be thought of. I hated the black GI pens, wish I could have gotten one from you turners while I was in. Just proves we have allot of work to do.

glenspens

Run a TEST

Run a TEST on the sierra style pen to see if they fit the arm slot in Army uniforms before i made them .....GUESS WHAT they FIT ...:eek: . I work at the medical center on Fort Gorden so i had some solders try them out and for doing so i let them keep the pens. Also not all field uniforms have a arm slot and not all wear that uniform day to day but most do . i know this has been talked on in the past thats one of the reasons i did the test and the other was the sierra style pens are eazy to make:cool: and Smitty put them on sale so i had 50 on hand:) .

glenspens

Thanks for the update, just going off some old info.

Thats what i was doing :eek:. I was talking pens with the NCOI and i ask her
what size pen she though would fit in the arm slots ,so i went ang got a slimline and a LeRoi for her to try she liked the fit of both of them.She also said that most solders she knows would take them home and not keep them at work in fear that would grow legs and walk off. So i feel any pen you want to make and send will work out just fine. Of the 10 solders that i had test the pens (slimline and LeRoi ) i told them that could keep one of them... guess which one the keep........ most walked off the Le Roi don't know if it was the style pen or the blank :confused: think i should have ask :redface:

bobleibo

I'll provide the materials

I'm swamped and don't have the time to turn extra project pens right now but if someone out there wants to do the turning, I'll provide 20 kits along with the blanks and shipping. Or 2 people at 10 kits each, let me know.

GaryMGg

Hey guys,

I just want to say a big thank you to everyone who is taking action to support our servicemen and women.
I've been swamped with work--putting in lots of hours and extra studies on the weekends getting ready for an exam.
I hope to have some breathing room in a couple of weeks (maybe 4).

My gratitude to you all for your support.
Gary

sbwertz

If someone would donate slim kits, my visually impaired turners would LOVE to turn pens for our troops.

sbwertz

Thank you to the IAP members who are sending kits to Center for the Blind. We are getting a second lathe and will start turning service pens as soon as the kits get here.

Sharon

gratz

Greg,

Are you still collecting for this year? I had good intentions, but life got in the way a bit, have some done and some in process, wondering when you need them by.

Thanks,

Gratz

sbwertz

Gary, many IAP members donated kits and blanks to Arizona Center for the Blind to make service pens. I have a couple of boxes of them collected now. One of the blind turners is a vet and asked if we could take some of the pens we made down to the veteran's hospital and give them to the vets there. Would there be a problem if we did that? This stuff was donated to us for a specific purpose, and I don't want to violate those terms.

Sharon

Top Bottom