September PITH Pictures!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

southernclay

My PITH sender was Jim aka plantman

He was fast out of the gate too! He sent me this cool pen as well as some great blanks, I'm especially excited about the black and white ebony and wenge which I've never turned.

So the pen is really cool, I've been watching his threads of the hexagon pens that he's been making and really like the concept....now I have one :biggrin:

The pen is a desk pen with the pedestal base, uses no tubes or lathe to produce. It is made with Andira (Mexican evergreen) Has brass and ivory segmenting and nice Steampunk accents like the brass nut, filigree rings and a distressed finish and antiquing.

Jim, this is a really cool pen, very pleased with it. I'm sorry for the pictures not being better but my wife has the camera with her so had to use the phone. You did a great job with it and got it to me so fast couldn't wait to post and brag a little. Thanks for the blanks as well!

Joe thanks again for running this, this is my second PITH and is a lot of fun!

Attachments

• photo2.JPG
    photo2.JPG
    76.6 KB · Views: 537
  • photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    105.2 KB · Views: 388

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
I've relayed to Jonathon (Brooks803) that I got a good start on his pen while dumpster diving today...

A dead rat, an old tuna fish can, a used hair brush (with some hair), some perfectly good twinkies (some may be gone tonight), and some rusty nails... Looks like a component kit to me... :good:

plantman

My PITH sender was Jim aka plantman

He was fast out of the gate too! He sent me this cool pen as well as some great blanks, I'm especially excited about the black and white ebony and wenge which I've never turned.

So the pen is really cool, I've been watching his threads of the hexagon pens that he's been making and really like the concept....now I have one :biggrin:

The pen is a desk pen with the pedestal base, uses no tubes or lathe to produce. It is made with Andira (Mexican evergreen) Has brass and ivory segmenting and nice Steampunk accents like the brass nut, filigree rings and a distressed finish and antiquing.

Jim, this is a really cool pen, very pleased with it. I'm sorry for the pictures not being better but my wife has the camera with her so had to use the phone. You did a great job with it and got it to me so fast couldn't wait to post and brag a little. Thanks for the blanks as well!

Joe thanks again for running this, this is my second PITH and is a lot of fun!

Here are a few photos of the PITH pen I sent Warren (southern clay) There is an antique Gold coin inbeded in the upper barrel along with a 3/8 inch nut and brass acorn nut on top. Segmented in brass and ivory, with Gold filagree rings on base. Hope he enjoys it and the blanks. Jim S

Attachments

• DSCF0041 (355x800).jpg
    DSCF0041 (355x800).jpg
    220.8 KB · Views: 234
  • DSCF0042 (800x574).jpg
    DSCF0042 (800x574).jpg
    294.7 KB · Views: 281
  • DSCF0043 (800x268).jpg
    DSCF0043 (800x268).jpg
    208.6 KB · Views: 222
Last edited:

plantman

WOW, that was fast. I've barely started mine.

Bob; The reason I was able to get this pen out so fast is because I knew when the sign up started that we were limited to what we could make. Steampunk. So I was able to start on an idea I already had in my head right away. Having never done a Steampunk pen before, this gave me plenty of time to play around in the process. Hope this meets the theme close enough and that Warren (southern clay) enjoys it!! Jim S

Last edited:

plano_harry

My PITH from southernclay arrived today! A SFRB full of cool blanks and a little black case. Through the window of the case, it looked like a musical instrument -- open I am thinking steampunk rocket! This is one shiny Liberty pen with lots of watch gizmos adorning it. I will have to let Warren elaborate further on his process, but here are some pictures for your enjoyment and as a token of my appreciation for his talent and time making this great pen for ME!

Thanks Warren!

Harry

Attachments

• Southernclay SP s.jpg
    Southernclay SP s.jpg
    196.4 KB · Views: 313
  • Southernclay SP2 s.jpg
    Southernclay SP2 s.jpg
    211.8 KB · Views: 229
  • Southernclay SP3 s.jpg
    Southernclay SP3 s.jpg
    211.7 KB · Views: 278
  • DSC_1102.JPG
    DSC_1102.JPG
    309.5 KB · Views: 219

southernclay

Thanks Jim!

Thanks Harry! Glad you like it. Great pictures too!

So the blank is aluminum, no tube, just drilled out to close to ID of the Liberty tube. I drilled out 1/16" holes all around the blank leaving space for the clip. Curved the watch parts pieces to go with radius of the blank, drilled out holes with 1/16" drill and epoxied them into place with copper nails ground down to be flush with the inside of the blank so it wouldn't cause problems with the transmission, etc. Very fun project.

mrrichieboy

Steampunk Pith Pen sent and received

My Steampunk Pith receiving partner was SMJ1957. Steve received the pen and goodies yesterday and asked if I would share the photos for him. So here they are....

It's a PSI Bolt Action Tec in Antique Brass. I've hand laid, emossed, and distressed the brushed aluminum and brass foil. Cast in Alumilite and finished the normal way with MM. I like the way that the Bolt Action Tec matches up with the Steampunk Style. Also, there is plenty of meat on the tube giving you room to layer the base. The kit comes with an interchangeable cap, normal or stylus.---Rich

Attachments

• Steampunk Bolt Action Tec Antique Brass Brushed Brass BAse w-Alum 2 SP7.jpg
    Steampunk Bolt Action Tec Antique Brass Brushed Brass BAse w-Alum 2 SP7.jpg
    147.4 KB · Views: 207
  • Steampunk Bolt Action Tec Antique Brass Reg and Stylus Caps 1 SP6.jpg
    Steampunk Bolt Action Tec Antique Brass Reg and Stylus Caps 1 SP6.jpg
    159.8 KB · Views: 174
  • Steampunk Bolt Action Tec Antique Brass Brushed Brass BAse w-Alum 4 SP7.jpg
    Steampunk Bolt Action Tec Antique Brass Brushed Brass BAse w-Alum 4 SP7.jpg
    182 KB · Views: 195
  • Steampunk Bolt Action Tec Antique Brass Brushed Brass BAse w-Alum 3 SP7.jpg
    Steampunk Bolt Action Tec Antique Brass Brushed Brass BAse w-Alum 3 SP7.jpg
    179 KB · Views: 206
  • Steampunk Bolt Action Tec Antique Brass Brushed Brass BAse w-Alum 1 SP7.jpg
    Steampunk Bolt Action Tec Antique Brass Brushed Brass BAse w-Alum 1 SP7.jpg
    149 KB · Views: 222
Last edited:

BSea

I really hate that I missed the pith sign up. Someone would have gotten a sweet pen. And I would have gotten a one back. Some good lookin stuff so far.
What you can do is go subscribe to the "ACTIVITIES MANAGER" forum. Then you'll get an email every time there's a new thread. And there are probably only 2 or 3 threads a month. So you'll never miss another PITH. That's what I do anyway.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
I really hate that I missed the pith sign up. Someone would have gotten a sweet pen. And I would have gotten a one back. Some good lookin stuff so far.
What you can do is go subscribe to the "ACTIVITIES MANAGER" forum. Then you'll get an email every time there's a new thread. And there are probably only 2 or 3 threads a month. So you'll never miss another PITH. That's what I do anyway.

OK... Walk me through how to subscribe... This is a great feature that I don't know how to do!

THANK YOU!

ottotroll's pith pen photos is currently a bunch of tiny bubbles. I hope the one today comes out better. the casting process so far has resulted cloudy and bubbly resin and I can not see if I remembered to put a tube in the mold.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
ottotroll's pith pen photos is currently a bunch of tiny bubbles. I hope the one today comes out better. the casting process so far has resulted cloudy and bubbly resin and I can not see if I remembered to put a tube in the mold.

Jim... It will be a memorable PITH!!! What you cannot see, remember, or accomplish will only add to the final... thingy!

Have Fun!

preacherman

I think we ought to have an epic fail thread for this PITH. I'm on number three to date. Fourth attempt is bathing in PR tonight in the pot. Funny thing is I have never had problems casting like this. I did manage to complete one but it's not going to be sent to anyone as my best effort, its pathetic. I'm working on for Karl_99. Karl I'll get something to you I promise but at this rate it may be thanksgiving :)

SteveJ

Just want to affirm that this pen looks great! It is a great pen.

He also included a half dozen blanks. Figure maple, big lead maple, imbuya, madrone, bocote and a nice wavy segment of maple and sapele.

Thanks Rich. I am now officially embarrassed to be sending the pen I made off...

Steve

My Steampunk Pith receiving partner was SMJ1957. Steve received the pen and goodies yesterday and asked if I would share the photos for him. So here they are....

It's a PSI Bolt Action Tec in Antique Brass. I've hand laid, emossed, and distressed the brushed aluminum and brass foil. Cast in Alumilite and finished the normal way with MM. I like the way that the Bolt Action Tec matches up with the Steampunk Style. Also, there is plenty of meat on the tube giving you room to layer the base. The kit comes with an interchangeable cap, normal or stylus.---Rich

BSea

OK... Walk me through how to subscribe... This is a great feature that I don't know how to do!

THANK YOU!
Ok, if you go to the "ACTIVITIES MANAGER" forum, you'll see a drop down called forum tools. It's on the right hand side just above the listing of the threads. Just click that drop down, and you'll see an option that says "SUBSCRIBE TO THIS FORUM". You'll then get a screen that lets you select how often you want to be notified. In this case, weekly would be enough, but I have mine set to daily.

You can do this for any forum or subforum. I have several set to send me daily notices.

Hope this helps. If not, send me your phone number, and I'll walk you through it.

Krash

My PITH arrived today from Mike Brouillette!!!!

WOW :laugh: !!!!

What a beautiful steampunk pen. I don't think Mike got the message about being rough and that shiny is boring .... cause he hit it outta da paark!!!

It is a collection of clock parts cast , I assume by him, into a sweet pen backed up by some white mesh. All in all, a beautiful rendition of Steampunk.

And, that's all, right? NO!! He also included a bunch of his stabilized blanks, including one he is famous for ... the honeycomb blank. I'm really looking forward to turning that one! There is also what looks like spalted maple stabilized in red resin and a burl in green. The round blank looks like mini pine cones.

Thanks Mike for the wonderful steampunk pen and blanks!

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    204.1 KB · Views: 318

healeydays

Thanks Kelly, glad you like it.

The white material is actually kevlar and is a pain to cut without dulling scissors made on a Cigar. I bought a couple thousand (yes thousand) watches and plan on putting out a line of blanks in the near future.

The blanks are one of my honeycomb, a mini Australian pinecone, 2 stabilized spalted maples and I can't remember what the green stabilized one was. Don't forget to show pictures of what you make with the blanks...

Mike B

Last edited:

Krash

Will do Mike.

I had read all the cautions and options for turning the honeycomb even before you sent it. I was secretly hoping you had one sitting around that you might include with the PITH. I was super excited to see it!

Any suggestions on whether or not to paint the tube?

Thanks man. I'm gonna have some fun!

healeydays

Will do Mike.

I had read all the cautions and options for turning the honeycomb even before you sent it. I was secretly hoping you had one sitting around that you might include with the PITH. I was super excited to see it!

Any suggestions on whether or not to paint the tube?

Thanks man. I'm gonna have some fun!

I believe I sent you one of the black ones so no need to paint the tube if you're going with a fatter pen. If thin, you probably should paint black.

John Smith

I have my blank made, but after reading about all the problems you're having with casting, I'm afraid to cast it..Well here goes nothing.. Hope the Displaced Canadian likes it.

toddlajoie

So i started out with 4 or 5 ideas on things I wanted to try... Lack of available material killed off a couple, another I started on, but don't have the time to see it through in time for this event, so it will sit half finished until I have more time to work on it or forget about it completely till I clean the garage...

Started off on another idea with a vision of the end goal clear in my head. Half way through, my lack of skill shot the whole thing out the window, but looking at the failure gave me a new idea. So now I'm halfway done (lower barrel complete!!) and I just need to work out the details of the upper barrel.

Keeping my fingers crossed for the rest of the process...

Krash

Steam PINK!

I got ladycop322 (Michelle) for my PITH partner. I figured she had enough to deal with enduring all us punks, so I made her a Steam Pink pen! :biggrin:
She said for me to go ahead and post it.

Every girl deserves a little pink in her life! :tongue:

She did say that the roach clip on the top was considered paraphernalia. So, maybe there's an APB out for me now!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    401.3 KB · Views: 285
Last edited:
Top Bottom